Cavinder Twins

Advertisement
the lady canes signed a 6'6" forward last year who was a Top 100 recruit-Holdacre. She hasn't played at all this season. Anyone know why?
Maybe she is dealing with an injury. Either that, or she came in and wasn't ready to play and Katie is redshirting her. This is a big difference between men's and women's basketball, high end recruits are redshirted all the time in women's basketball, especially post players. It's also early in the season, so who knows. I do know that other freshman post players(Spearman) are playing and getting a lot of PT in the process, so I doubt that Katie is just holding this young lady out due to her youth. Katie wants this to be an uptempo, pressing team, and maybe this young lady just isn't up for the running right now(You'd be amazed how many players show up out of shape freshman year). Her body type is wildly different from Spearman, who is more of a long, lanky athlete.

Columbia is pretty good...only bad loss if we are perennial top5 program and we are not on that level (more like "pretty good" level).

I've watched my first two women's basketball games because of the hype surrounding the twins. So the marketing paid off at least partially.

I must say they need a better product for it to be sustainable though. Our worst men's player is better than the best women's play. I don't think that's that case when you look at some women sports (e.g., a Serena Williams in tennis). Not expecting them to slam-dunk ally-oops. But I know there must be women out there who can dribble, pass and block better, and not turn over the ball 25 times in a game.

All that said, I'm going to check in from time to time and see how these ladies do (both the team and the twins). They dominated this last game against a weak opponent. Hope they keep getting better and we see them in the tournament in March.

Advertisement
I've watched my first two women's basketball games because of the hype surrounding the twins. So the marketing paid off at least partially.

I must say they need a better product for it to be sustainable though. Our worst men's player is better than the best women's play. I don't think that's that case when you look at some women sports (e.g., a Serena Williams in tennis). Not expecting them to slam-dunk ally-oops. But I know there must be women out there who can dribble, pass and block better, and not turn over the ball 25 times in a game.

All that said, I'm going to check in from time to time and see how these ladies do (both the team and the twins). They dominated this last game against a weak opponent. Hope they keep getting better and we see them in the tournament in March.
Most women sport is like that. I mean, the women’s Canadian hockey team that won the gold at the last Olympics and the last 2 world championships played 5 games against Junior A team. No player even close to the NHL. They lost by a combined score of 30-2.
The best women hockey team in the world got smashed by average teen men player.

Most women sport is like that. I mean, the women’s Canadian hockey team that won the gold at the last Olympics and the last 2 world championships played 5 games against Junior A team. No player even close to the NHL. They lost by a combined score of 30-2.
The best women hockey team in the world got smashed by average teen men player.
The worst player in the G League would be the greatest WNBA player of all time.

Advertisement
Our fans will watch one game and then make definitive statements off of one game, ignoring the other 99% of the season. It wasn't their best performance of the season, but if you would have seen more than one game, you would have seen them play significantly better, playing their style at a high level. It's uneven right now, lots of moving pieces, especially as Katie settles on her rotations.

Blew the game against Florida. Haley was outstanding until OT. Hanna looks like she cannot play at this level.

Blew the game against Florida.
Blew how? Classic ref ball late. UF wasn't even trying to run an O, their O was "Drive, throw yourself into someone, and march to the line". Have to execute down the stretch if you're Miami, but it shouldn't have gotten to OT to begin with. Oh well. Frustrating loss, because it was there to be had. Once the fouls started accumulating, it was a wrap. Cavinder has to be a more active shooter late, she backed off from shooting and that hurt the O. If you are hot, keep shooting. It's better than relying on Williams, who is an athlete, but can't shoot her way out of a paper bag.

Blew the game against Florida. Haley was outstanding until OT. Hanna looks like she cannot play at this level.
very depressing game at home versus 10-1 GatorGals... several chances to win it and should have, but choked numerous times on clutch plays, finally losing in OT 76-73 just now... Twins didn't step up when needed but neither did several others

Advertisement
Blew how? Classic ref ball late. UF wasn't even trying to run an O, their O was "Drive, throw yourself into someone, and march to the line". Have to execute down the stretch if you're Miami, but it shouldn't have gotten to OT to begin with. Oh well. Frustrating loss, because it was there to be had. Once the fouls started accumulating, it was a wrap. Cavinder has to be a more active shooter late, she backed off from shooting and that hurt the O. If you are hot, keep shooting. It's better than relying on Williams, who is an athlete, but can't shoot her way out of a paper bag.
Disorganized with a minute to go. Haley has to take the shot and not look to pass. The look with 14 seconds to go in OT was bad basketball. Even Katie knew it coming out of a timeout.

Disorganized with a minute to go. Haley has to take the shot and not look to pass. The look with 14 seconds to go in OT was bad basketball. Even Katie knew it coming out of a timeout.
Something Katie fails to do at times is making adjustments on the fly. Florida came out with a different defense in the second half. Katie should have created some screens to free up Haylee they were smothering her. Also how many time did the same girl from florida have that running layup and there was nobody to shift over to help you could see in plain day she was doing it over and over again.I could go on but you hopefully get my point.

Something Katie fails to do at times is making adjustments on the fly. Florida came out with a different defense in the second half. Katie should have created some screens to free up Haylee they were smothering her. Also how many time did the same girl from florida have that running layup and there was nobody to shift over to help you could see in plain day she was doing it over and over again.I could go on but you hopefully get my point.

Florida basically went Iso ball and then set that play up. Spread the floor and make it almost impossible to help without leaving someone open. How do you defend that? By the way, when Miami did double her, and hedge her up top, it was an automatic foul call, whether there was contact or not. A classic example of this was late, when #21 got her on a switch, played PERFECT D on her and still got called for a foul, merely because she went up awkwardly. There wasn't any contact, she just threw herself into the defender. It was the old Houston Rockets, James Harden O. Spread the floor, take a player who is good at drawing fouls and have them create foul opportunities.

By the way, Haley isn't someone that likes working off screens, she's at her best as a spot up shooter. She isn't an explosive enough athlete to create off the dribble like that, she's at her best when she can set her feet and fire. Frankly, losing Destiny Harden to fouls early hurt a lot more. She's the most explosive athlete on the roster, her body type is a matchup nightmare, because she can get to her preferred spots whenever she wants. That also hurt defensively, because you couldn't match up Harden against #15, you couldn't afford to have her foul out. Harden would have likely gotten that matchup had she not been saddled with dumbass fouls early.

Advertisement
I think these twins are a little overrated

From these pics they kind of are.
licensed-image.jpeg
16681054650371.jpg

Florida basically went Iso ball and then set that play up. Spread the floor and make it almost impossible to help without leaving someone open. How do you defend that? By the way, when Miami did double her, and hedge her up top, it was an automatic foul call, whether there was contact or not. A classic example of this was late, when #21 got her on a switch, played PERFECT D on her and still got called for a foul, merely because she went up awkwardly. There wasn't any contact, she just threw herself into the defender. It was the old Houston Rockets, James Harden O. Spread the floor, take a player who is good at drawing fouls and have them create foul opportunities.

By the way, Haley isn't someone that likes working off screens, she's at her best as a spot up shooter. She isn't an explosive enough athlete to create off the dribble like that, she's at her best when she can set her feet and fire. Frankly, losing Destiny Harden to fouls early hurt a lot more. She's the most explosive athlete on the roster, her body type is a matchup nightmare, because she can get to her preferred spots whenever she wants. That also hurt defensively, because you couldn't match up Harden against #15, you couldn't afford to have her foul out. Harden would have likely gotten that matchup had she not been saddled with dumbass fouls early.
Great post adds some clarity to the situation.

People are acting shocked that these young ladies are more than just good looking, which shows that a lot of people don't watch basketball. The Mountain West isn't some awful midmajor conference, it's a solid midmajor conference and when you look at their individual skillsets, it's a skillset that travels well. Shooters can usually shoot ANYWHERE, players with high basketball IQs can usually perform anywhere, even if they aren't the most physically impressive in regards to pure athleticism. The Cavinder sisters are quick, they aren't the strongest(Lean muscle, built like distance runners), but they can more than hold their own physically in the ACC, and they fit what Katie wants to do. They can trap, they can run.
"Which shows a lot of people don't watch basketball"
A lot of people watch basketball, very few of which watch women's basketball.

Advertisement
Back