Canes must stop "giving" if they are going to hit double digit wins.

Go Canes!!

Leading the charge
Premium
In 2018 Miami Hurricane opponents scored a total of 253 points. I've mentioned it a lot on here, but decided to do a quick breakdown of just how many points were "gifted" to other teams last season. For simplicity's sake I've made the cutoff drives that were 30 yards or less that resulted in a score that usually came off an INT, fumble or special teams gaffe:

LSU 7 plays 22 yds 3
LSU Pick Six 7
LSU 4 plays 6 yards 3
FIU 4 plays 0 yards 3
FSU 6 plays 18 yds 3
FSU 4 plays 16 yds 3
FSU 74 yd punt ret 7
UVA 2 plays 7 yards 7
BC 7 plays 9 yards 3
BC 1 play 14 yards 7
GT 3 plays 23 yards 7
GT 7 plays 18 yards 3
GT 4 plays 4 yards 3
Duke 4 plays 3 yds 3
Duke 5 plays 29 yds 3
Wisc 1 play 7 yards 7

Didn't hunt for longer drives where a long punt return put other teams in the redzone, which I'm sure there were.

That's 72 points, almost 1/3 of our entire point total literally given away to other teams. Drives of 50-55 yards or less push that total close to 50%.

If this team is going to max it's potential we have to flip the field every time we don't score and most importantly, completely do away with careless turnovers, especially deep in our own territory. We need to make teams go 80 yards every time they take the field.

Imo guys like Headly and special teams coaching are almost as important as getting this QB decision right.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know about you guys but I'll be celebrating like we just scored a TD if we just manage to get a couple first downs before we have to punt. I'm too used to seeing us automatically go 3 and out, trot the defense back out after a 2 minute rest, and gift the opponent field position inside our own half.

If we're not scoring, please let us be picking up a few first downs before we punt, methodically changing the field position game. Gone need to be the days of feast or famine Richt football.

Advertisement
In 2018 Miami Hurricane opponents scored a total of 253 points. I've mentioned it a lot on here, but decided to do a quick breakdown of just how many points were "gifted" to other teams last season. For simplicity's sake I've made the cutoff drives that were 30 yards or less that resulted in a score that usually came off an INT, fumble or special teams gaffe:

LSU 7 plays 22 yds 3
LSU Pick Six 7
LSU 4 plays 6 yards 3
FIU 4 plays 0 yards 3
FSU 6 plays 18 yds 3
FSU 4 plays 16 yds 3
FSU 74 yd punt ret 7
UVA 2 plays 7 yards 7
BC 7 plays 9 yards 3
BC 1 play 14 yards 7
GT 3 plays 23 yards 7
GT 7 plays 18 yards 3
GT 4 plays 4 yards 3
Duke 4 plays 3 yds 3
Duke 5 plays 29 yds 3
Wisc 1 play 7 yards 7

Didn't hunt for longer drives where a long punt return put other teams in the redzone, which I'm sure there were.

That's 72 points, almost 1/3 of our entire point total literally given away to other teams. Drives of 50-55 yards or less push that total close to 50%.

If this team is going to max it's potential we have to flip the field every time we don't score and most importantly, completely do away with careless turnovers, especially deep in our own territory. We need to make teams go 80 yards every time they take the field.

Imo guys like Headly and special teams coaching are almost as important as getting this QB decision right.
Lost to Duke by 8 after giving 6 on two drives of less than 30 yards. Score would have been 14-12 and a field goal would have won the game. Instead Miami needed 6 and the extra two to tie. This is how you go 7-6!!!

I don't know about you guys but I'll be celebrating like we just scored a TD if we just manage to get a couple first downs before we have to punt. I'm too used to seeing us automatically go 3 and out, trot the defense back out after a 2 minute rest, and gift the opponent field position inside our own half.

If we're not scoring, please let us be picking up a few first downs before we punt, methodically changing the field position game. Gone need to be the days of feast or famine Richt football.

I think the loudest cheer you're gonna hear since the ND game is if Hedley booms a 45+ yarder and pins UF inside their own 10.

Our fans are gonna explode.

While it's common sense, it's good to be able to visualize it statistically. Honestly, it FELT worse than that. Luckily our D got a LOT of stops after our stalled 30 second drives. Hard to call them drives, really. Imagine if our D was as bad as it was 4 years ago....

Sometimes you get a feel for a game by being there. And I can tell you regarding the LSU game, that if we had just barely adequate punting, and even below average offensive output, we would’ve been in that game. Not necessarily won, but would have been in a position to win the entire game.

You look at the score and you say LSU blew us out. No. We blew ourselves out. When you can’t even get barely adequate punting or offensive output, you are setting yourself up to get blown out. By any team.

Advertisement
It's not so much that the offense was bad (it was but there were worse offenses than Miami's last year), it's that they also turned the ball over a ton. Only seven teams had more turnovers than Miami last year and they were all terrible. Coincidentally, FSU finished tied with Miami for 8th at 26 turnovers. Miamis' defense was again among the national leaders in turnovers forced with 25 but that still puts them in the negative for turnover differential.

Couple the 26 turnovers with the 117th ranked net punting average and you're just giving opponents points.

If you want to really see how good Miami's defense was, check out the other teams ranked near the bottom of turnovers surrendered. None of them even sniffed 7 wins last year. It's literally a list of the worst teams in FBS (including FSU) and Miami.

I feel some people really don’t understand that last year we beat ourselves more than anything else. If we get average offense and special teams play we going to win 10 games this season.

Advertisement
It's not so much that the offense was bad (it was but there were worse offenses than Miami's last year), it's that they also turned the ball over a ton. Only seven teams had more turnovers than Miami last year and they were all terrible. Coincidentally, FSU finished tied with Miami for 8th at 26 turnovers. Miamis' defense was again among the national leaders in turnovers forced with 25 but that still puts them in the negative for turnover differential.

Couple the 26 turnovers with the 117th ranked net punting average and you're just giving opponents points.

If you want to really see how good Miami's defense was, check out the other teams ranked near the bottom of turnovers surrendered. None of them even sniffed 7 wins last year. It's literally a list of the worst teams in FBS (including FSU) and Miami.

Great info. Thanks.

NotWorthAnotherThread.png

Advertisement
Sometimes you get a feel for a game by being there. And I can tell you regarding the LSU game, that if we had just barely adequate punting, and even below average offensive output, we would’ve been in that game. Not necessarily won, but would have been in a position to win the entire game.

You look at the score and you say LSU blew us out. No. We blew ourselves out. When you can’t even get barely adequate punting or offensive output, you are setting yourself up to get blown out. By any team.
Our Offense literally put points on the board for LSU...

They were so bad they actually helped them score a TD lol.

Malik hits Jordan on that one pass (of which there were ******* many) and we win that game IMHO in the 4th quarter.

Our Offense literally put points on the board for LSU...

They were so bad they actually helped them score a TD lol.

Exactly. The thing is even leaving in the turnovers (including pick six), we would have still been in the game with just barely adequate offense and punting. Now, if you in addition take away that pick six, we’re in great position to beat LSU.

I realize that's a lot of what ifs. The point is, as you know, we won 7 games last year with 2 out of the three phases of the game (offense, special teams) severely underperforming.

Advertisement
Back