Canes @ Louisville 1pm ACCN

This game was basically the equivalent of a preseason scrimmage.

We faced tougher comp against Lafayette & Saint Francis BK, than LVille.

The craziest part is LVille is a P5 school with a National title in 2013, an Elite 8 appearance in 2015 & was a 24 win team that made the tournament in 2019.

They’ve completely fallen off the map.

Advertisement

The craziest part is LVille is a P5 school with a National title in 2013, an Elite 8 appearance in 2015 & was a 24 win team that made the tournament in 2019.

During the game I was obviously happy about how we performed but I was more intrigued with trying to think of a basketball powerhouse fall off like this. I couldn’t think of one…

That was a **** poor team I saw yesterday. To see what I call a “blue blood”, hit rock bottom like this is unreal. I guess we could say ucla has had their struggles over the years… but 0-8 to start off the season against numerous cupcakes? Never seen it

Advertisement
One thing that continues to concern me is 3 point shooting. We're now at just 32% on the season. Pack is at 34%, and he was in the low to mid 40's at Kansas State. Hopefully he gets hot soon, but beyond him this team lacks shooters.

But those call girls were worth it.

3PT shooting is as much about ball movement and offensive cohesion as it is about the shooter (course some guys can outshoot those issues, but not many).

I think/hope you’ll see our 3PT% increase as the season progresses… not to 38% but I think if we get to 34-35% as a team that will be good enough.

3PT shooting is as much about ball movement and offensive cohesion as it is about the shooter (course some guys can outshoot those issues, but not many).

I think/hope you’ll see our 3PT% increase as the season progresses… not to 38% but I think if we get to 34-35% as a team that will be good enough.
Agreed. And our ball movement has been pretty good. We had 18 assists yesterday and average over 14 a game on the season. We're just missing a lot of open 3's.

Advertisement
agreed...but college hoops you never know. A cold night, early fouls, a hot shooting team. I dont think this team will really look past anyone. So I'm hoping for 4-1.
Of course it is cbb anything can and may happen. I want 5-0. Decent ball and 3 of these shouldn't be an issue. Some trouble with Cornell if they play really well but play decent I'm not worried about them. Same for State, play smart let them self destruct. I think we match up better with UVA now than in past. They have sacrificed some of their d for a little more o. Personal opinion that makes for a better match up on our end. Strong defensive teams are what L has seemed to struggle against. Those are the teams I fear.

Advertisement
Agreed. And our ball movement has been pretty good. We had 18 assists yesterday and average over 14 a game on the season. We're just missing a lot of open 3's.

I think you’re right, but I do think ball movement can and will get even better which will hopefully give Pack more good looks in space with his feet set.

Right now Miller leads the team at 35.5%, Poplar at 34.8%, Pack at 34% and Wong at 32.4%. I’m a little disappointed by Joseph’s number at 28.6% but he definitely has the green light and has made some big shots (I think he’s a guy who really needs to wait for the open look).

I think you hope Miller and Poplar stay at those numbers, hope Pack works up close to 40%, hope Bensley works up to 33-34%, and figure Wong will give you what he gives you.

Walker at 11%… who knows with him? I’d say he should be red lighted but he makes them in practice so ????

Advertisement
3pt shooting is mostly about volume or lack thereof...

The best 3pt shooting teams in the country right now are:
- Western Kentucky at 46%
- Utah ST at 44%
- Xavier at 43%
- UVA at 42%

There’s only 2 teams in the top 40 in 3pt attempts that are shooting 40%, Penn ST & Chattanooga, everybody else that averages 25+ 3’s per game is in the 30% percentile range. Basically, the teams who are shooting a lot of 3’s aren’t really making a lot of them.

Our 3pt shooting hasn’t been good, but it’s pretty much on par with most other teams around the country, it could definitely be better, but that’s not really our style of ball & if we were a Long distance from 3 type of shooting team we’d probably be in a lot more trouble in most games we play.

The strength of this team is midrange & inside scoring, because we have multiple players who can create their own shot off the dribble driving to the basket. Even Omier does a good job getting to the rim from 15ft out, he doesn’t always finish lol but he makes a good ball fake drive every game to get a chance at a bucket while driving.

IMO this is actually a great thing for us, because as we’ve seen in the UCF & Rutgers games, that even when we get down by a deficit that we’re a team that doesn’t panic & start jacking up bad shots, they stay within themselves, keep composure & just keep playing their game. Defensive intensity picks up & then we start going on a run; a few buckets get scored, some turnovers get forced, then voila, we’re right back in it. That to me is paramount for a team with Deep tourney run aspirations, because it shows that even without having a team that’s deadly from the arc we can still compete with good teams.

Even in the Maryland game we went on 2 runs to make it somewhat close in the 2nd half, problem is the Terps are just insanely deep & have **** near 2 starting lineups worth of talent that shoot the fckin paint off the hardwood lol, I mean they’re really really good.

Now will our lack of 3pt shooting rear it’s ugly against the likes of UVA or Duke etc, maybe, hopefully not, but ultimately, what we lack in consistent sharpshooting we make up for with good Defense & playmaking. We’ve also been a clutch-shooting team thus far, no we don’t shoot 3’s at a high clip throughout the game, but when we’ve needed’em we’ve gotten’em for the most part.

I still think Pack can & will be our crunch time 3pt maker when we absolutely need one from distance & if Watson can find his way onto the court as the season progresses he could be another long range shooter we’ve been looking for.

Advertisement
Back