Cal Coach Justin Wilcox post game press conference

Seems like a standup dude. Like an old-school "football coach."

Their staff did an incredible job putting together a game plan to challenge Miami where they struggled in VT game. They borrowed from Brohm quite a bit. Used motion to identify coverage and expose matchups. They threatened the edge where DB's have struggled setting. They attacked the flats where we have been downright poor in defending.

Miami was the more talented team and would win on a neutral eight or nine of ten. But that's not how the game is played, and many fail to realize that.

Cal is a strong, competitive, physical football team who wanted that win with their entire soul. He didn't make excuses and answered the questions with respect and tears in his eyes.

I can see why Mario holds him in high regard. They’re cut from the same cloth.

Advertisement
He manned up on everything. But ESPN with a stronger reaction than the Fiasco Bowl

Cal severely out coached us and just ran out of gas and the offense was perfect the last 4 drives
He knows his defense was shot and that getting outscored 29-3 in 18 minutes was the reason his team lost

Seems like a standup dude. Like an old-school "football coach."

Their staff did an incredible job putting together a game plan to challenge Miami where they struggled in VT game. They borrowed from Brohm quite a bit. Used motion to identify coverage and expose matchups. They threatened the edge where DB's have struggled setting. They attacked the flats where we have been downright poor in defending.

Miami was the more talented team and would win on a neutral eight or nine of ten. But that's not how the game is played, and many fail to realize that.

Cal is a strong, competitive, physical football team who wanted that win with their entire soul. He didn't make excuses and answered the questions with respect and tears in his eyes.

Guidry and co. better figure something out because that blueprint isn't going to change until we limit it. I don't think we'll cure it entirely due to personnel limitations in the back 7, but giving up 3 50 yard plus and two TDs in three early possessions is inexcusable. Really bad teams hardly ever do that.

Cam needs to spend the next two weeks learning to throw on schedule. He is coming off his progressions and drifting around waiting for the big play to come loose. That won't work against teams with discipline.

Advertisement
Guidry and co. better figure something out because that blueprint isn't going to change until we limit it. I don't think we'll cure it entirely due to personnel limitations in the back 7, but giving up 3 50 yard plus and two TDs in three early possessions is inexcusable. Really bad teams hardly ever do that.

Cam needs to spend the next two weeks learning to throw on schedule. He is coming off his progressions and drifting around waiting for the big play to come loose. That won't work against teams with discipline.
If you think Cam is ever going to be that QB, you're going to be disappointed. He simply isn't that guy and that's why he's in college still.

He knows he and his players took their foot off the gas in the 4th qtr. He wont admit it but he was doing everything he could to sneak out of that game with W by being conservative on O... But then his D ran out of gas. And couldnt hold. Hes really kicking himself.
i dont think they took their foot off of the gas. they had their foot ON the gas but there was no gas left. Ward and the rest of the offense were energized and Cal wasn't. there had no energy left

credit The Moustache and his staff

He got a 66 yard td when the guys who foot was out of bounds. Also if wasn’t a target. It was a hard hit that looked like it.

If you think Cam is ever going to be that QB, you're going to be disappointed. He simply isn't that guy and that's why he's in college still.

But there's a place between the two, no? We've seen him be both guys during the same game. He doesn't need to be a different QB, but a little more skewed towards the guy heady enough to not do what he did on that pick 6 would go a long way. It's the difference between another Miami implosion or realizing success.

Defensively, Guidry needs to reset. We've got guys missing tackles on players they've got dead to rights, safeties turned around, blowing simple HS level exchanges. It's bad. I hope he starts selling out some to take away the obvious vulnerabilities people keep poking.

Advertisement
I live in the Bay Area - I think he is perfect for Cal - however they have lost a TON of close games

I like him. Sounds like a stand up guy. Don't know how he Xs and Os, but I can see why his team plays.

But there's a place between the two, no? We've seen him be both guys during the same game. He doesn't need to be a different QB, but a little more skewed towards the guy heady enough to not do what he did on that pick 6 would go a long way. It's the difference between another Miami implosion or realizing success.

Defensively, Guidry needs to reset. We've got guys missing tackles on players they've got dead to rights, safeties turned around, blowing simple HS level exchanges. It's bad. I hope he starts selling out some to take away the obvious vulnerabilities people keep poking.
I’m with you. You don’t need to see Cam stop the improvisation but it was as though he was gun shy in the first half.

He said the convo with Dawson got him right. The version of him in the second half was the version from games 1-4. Passing in rhythm and occasionally taking things when they break down.

Advertisement
Back