Blake is going to have a tough decision to make in 2019

All you have to do is bump your quality porsts ****. Just do it and prove that you’re here to discuss basketball.

Come on, bump those porsts.

LMAO. Dude can't stand that people are questioning his precious Mullenaga. Looking forward to seeing where we stand in the "Also receiving votes" section next Monday.

Is this one of those quality porsts?

If we're basing "quality" on what you think of Jim Mullenaga, then yes, it is of high quality. Because, after all, I just need to beat #14 and #11 to be considered great.

Advertisement
I will be the first to say that Jagr is probably the worst poster in the history of CIS and that's really saying something. It's almost impossible to be a consistent top 10 program and Jagr's expectations are well beyond unrealistic.

I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for this program to be a perennial top 25 team and somewhere in the 7-9 seed range come tourney time. We aren't Duke or Kansas but I wouldn't mind being a Wisconsin or UVA.

What I am holding Coach L responsible for is potentially wasting the most talented team we've ever had here, featuring two lottery picks and another future NBA player in Huell. Yes we have deficiencies, but we shouldn't be losing to NMSU in Maui or GT on the road.

Fellas, I rarely post in the basketball forum, but love all things Canes. Can someone explain to me why UM is the only school(my perception and maybe I'm wrong) that has this ongoing investigation? Seems that all other wrongful participants were exposed and consequently fired by their respective schools. While it was humiliating and ruined the current season for those programs, at least they can move forward and probably recover as quickly as next season. Meanwhile, UM sits in an uncomfortable Neverland position. No closure and a major negative impact on recruiting for next season.

My fear is that not only this season is being impacted with the "cloud" noise and a team with youthful selfishness play on the court, but the lack of future top end commits in the foreseeable future.
We have never been considered a “serious” basketball college. Coach L changed that perception. Will we ever be able to consistently compete with college Basketball elite, I doubt it. We have become respectable and occasionally quite good. If you are a real Cane fan this reality should be good enough for you. If you expect us to be a Duke, unc, ky, kansas, etc. then find another team to root for. When Coach L leaves we will be back to the days of Haith and Clark.

Last edited:
All you have to do is bump your quality porsts ****. Just do it and prove that you’re here to discuss basketball.

Come on, bump those porsts.

LMAO. Dude can't stand that people are questioning his precious Mullenaga. Looking forward to seeing where we stand in the "Also receiving votes" section next Monday.

Is this one of those quality porsts?

If we're basing "quality" on what you think of Jim Mullenaga, then yes, it is of high quality. Because, after all, I just need to beat #14 and #11 to be considered great.

Since you can’t bump any old porsts, I am done until you do. Keep it going kunty, it was fun.

Coach L changed that perception. Will we ever be able to consistently compete with college Basketball elite, I doubt it. We have become respectable and occasionally quite good. If you are a real Cane fan this reality should be good enough for you. If you expect us to be a Duke, unc, ky, kansas, etc. then find another team to root for.

Why are we accepting this to be true? Tell me about Gonzaga's basketball success prior to their current streak of 18 straight NCAA appearances.

Advertisement
Since you can’t bump any old porsts, I am done until you do. Keep it going kunty, it was fun.

That's what people like you do when confronted with irrefutable data. "Yeah but you can't bump any old posts".

Followed by the tried and true white flag known as "I am done". Yes, yes you are. You were done a while ago and just didn't know it.

I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for this program to be a perennial top 25 team and somewhere in the 7-9 seed range come tourney time. We aren't Duke or Kansas but I wouldn't mind being a Wisconsin or UVA.

What I am holding Coach L responsible for is potentially wasting the most talented team we've ever had here, featuring two lottery picks and another future NBA player in Huell. Yes we have deficiencies, but we shouldn't be losing to NMSU in Maui or GT on the road.

A few things and I apologize for my lack of brevity. Feel free to not read this diatribe, but I agree with some of what you said.

1. When I arrived at UM, we were nothing. When I left, we were nothing. We were irrelevant when it came to basketball. Since we joined the ACC (04-05) and until Coach L arrived, we accomplished the following:

- 1 NCAAT in 7 seasons
- 0 Winning Seasons (in terms of conference wins) and a 43-69 (.384) conference record
- Average Finish in conference 8th place (really 8.3)

We were pathetic. We were irrelevant.

2. Then Coach L decided to submit his resume (wiki) to an AD and the following happened:

- 3 NCAAT in 6 seasons (the last time we went twice in a row 1999-00, we went 3 times a row)
- 5 Winning Seasons (in terms of conference wins) and a 66-45 (.595) conference record
- ACC Conference Champ
- 2 x Sweet 16 Appearances and 2 Top 10 Teams (finishing in the top 10)
- Records against the following:

Duke: 5-4
UNC: 5-4
FSU: 8-6 (Please note I am not saying this is an accomplishment, I am just comparing him to the other "successful" coach at UM)

Now we're relevant. Now we finish in the top of the conference, regularly. Now making the NCAAT is no big deal because it happens more frequently.

-----------

3. Is Coach L regressing? Have we hit our ceiling?

First 3 Seasons: 66-36 (31-21), 1 ACC Champ, 1 NCAAT, 1 Sweet 16

Average Recruiting Ranking: 51st

2012: 99th
2013: 27th
2014: 26th

Second 3 Seasons: 73-33 (33-21), 0 ACC Champ, 2 NCAAT, 1 Sweet 16

Average Ranking: 34th

2015: 77th
2016: 15th
2017: 9th

So to review the above:

- We're winning more games now and making the tourney more often
- Recruiting is getting better and our best recruiting has been recently

Does the fact that we "only" made the Sweet 16 twice (in 6 seasons) and have 3 NCAATs mean we hit our "ceiling"?

The obvious thing is the talent is getting better and we're winning more games. We're also making the NCAAT more consistently. It took Mark Few 16 seasons to make it past the Sweet 16. It took Mike Brey 15 seasons to make it past the Sweet 16. It took Chris Mack 8 seasons.

Neither correlate to Coach L having success here but sometimes it takes time. We know Coach L has made it further than the Sweet 16, so he is certainly capable of getting there again.

4. My Concerns and our future:

This season: I believe this team has been both under-performing and overrated. I put some of that on Coach L (the under-performing). I don't understand his love for Newton, in fact I hate it. I don't understand that let down against Duke. I believe the talent, although "raw", is the most talented team (on paper) he has here. My problem is his big strength is having older and mature players and that is not this team. If he wants to play this game (better talent), he needs to develop them and have them buy-in quicker.

My other concern about this team is the lack of leadership. Last year we had Murphy and Reed. This year we have no one. We really need someone to step up and be a vocal leader. My hope is that Brown can be that guy. I also hope that Coach L stops starting Newton and limits his time altogether.

2018 Recruiting/Transfers: I don't put that on Coach L but with that said, he needs to bring in some kids. The past 2 seasons we didn't max out the class and left a scholarship open each year. He really needs to bring in some players/transfers because we can't take no one.

Perhaps L's reliance on Newton goes to your point about him doing better with older players. He looks around and sees a bunch of pups, so he throws Newton out there hoping he'll provide veteran leadership (he doesn't). If L does better with veteran teams (seems to be the case), then maybe the recruiting strategy should be to focus on the 4* guys that will stay 3+ seasons, throw in a few select transfers, and forget the Lonnie Walker types that are billed as one and done. Seems like the FBI thing has squashed the 5* pipeline anyway, so he won't have a choice.

Perhaps L's reliance on Newton goes to your point about him doing better with older players. He looks around and sees a bunch of pups, so he throws Newton out there hoping he'll provide veteran leadership (he doesn't). If L does better with veteran teams (seems to be the case), then maybe the recruiting strategy should be to focus on the 4* guys that will stay 3+ seasons, throw in a few select transfers, and forget the Lonnie Walker types that are billed as one and done. Seems like the FBI thing has squashed the 5* pipeline anyway, so he won't have a choice.

Maybe but given Newton's history (off the court), I am not sure what makes him worthy of a leadership position besides his age.

This year he probably won't land any highly touted guys so I expect some players who will stay for some time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mods,

Whatever you do, don't clean this place up.

I am enjoying this place become a cesspool.

Thanks,

Tom

Is that what you guys want? Every time we make a move it ruffles feathers. I’m genuinely curious if you guys would rather we kill threads like this right at the jump. I wanted to because it’s so absurd, but I hesitated because “free speeeeech nom nom”.

Who gets ruffled?

It depends on the goal. Clearly there are numerous built in trolls which is fine for posters that have been around and get it, but it also leads to numerous derailed threads — great for click generation, not necessarily great for sifting through recruiting threads for meaningful updates.

I didn't say that I expected us to be with the elite and not the point of my comments. If you have some insight for what I'm inquiring about, great.
As to your comment about respect, occasionally quite good and a real Canes fan should be good enough view, I don't share the same thoughts. I always want more. We should seek greatness at the highest level. Your comments lead me to think that an occasional tourney appearance or ACC conf championship should keep "real Canes fans" satisfied for many years to come on the hardwood. We should all want more....

Fellas, I rarely post in the basketball forum, but love all things Canes. Can someone explain to me why UM is the only school(my perception and maybe I'm wrong) that has this ongoing investigation? Seems that all other wrongful participants were exposed and consequently fired by their respective schools. While it was humiliating and ruined the current season for those programs, at least they can move forward and probably recover as quickly as next season. Meanwhile, UM sits in an uncomfortable Neverland position. No closure and a major negative impact on recruiting for next season.

My fear is that not only this season is being impacted with the "cloud" noise and a team with youthful selfishness play on the court, but the lack of future top end commits in the foreseeable future.
We have never been considered a “serious” basketball college. Coach L changed that perception. Will we ever be able to consistently compete with college Basketball elite, I doubt it. We have become respectable and occasionally quite good. If you are a real Cane fan this reality should be good enough for you. If you expect us to be a Duke, unc, ky, kansas, etc. then find another team to root for. When Coach L leaves we will be back to the days of Haith and Clark.

If coach L can't get the FBI situation resolved in this calendar year, and recruiting is non existent, the program will end up in the same place it was when L was hired.. and any AD can't let it slide to that point..

This staff cannot identify shooters to save themselves..

Funny they shot 60% second half today and won at a tough place on the road. Blake will have a very easy decision and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. Coach L is gonna be here as long as he wants, roflmao if you think otherwise!

Nah, Coach L has shown that Miami can be solid. I believe that the next hire will be far better than Haith/Clark. I think Miami will reach to someone like Konkol or Huger if they've found success, or some other up and coming young coach. Miami has the facilities, and the name recognition that weren't there 15 years ago, so fans shouldn't settle for the garbage that was Clark/Haith. Miami may not be a top 15 team under L's successor but they shouldn't be making the tournament once in an eight year span either.

Advertisement
Mods,

Whatever you do, don't clean this place up.

I am enjoying this place become a cesspool.

Thanks,

Tom

Is that what you guys want? Every time we make a move it ruffles feathers. I’m genuinely curious if you guys would rather we kill threads like this right at the jump. I wanted to because it’s so absurd, but I hesitated because “free speeeeech nom nom”.

Who gets ruffled?

It depends on the goal. Clearly there are numerous built in trolls which is fine for posters that have been around and get it, but it also leads to numerous derailed threads — great for click generation, not necessarily great for sifting through recruiting threads for meaningful updates.

The dolt we call inValid...

Advertisement
Back