Architectural Details on football ops center

considering that the lot size is less than 10 acres and hard rock (the stadium itself) is about 25 acres, i don't think a stadium there fits.

Oh, **** yeah, Bakery Centre/Sunset Place is definitely not big enough for a stadium. Would be a nice spot for UM campus expansion, but definitely not big enough or square enough for a stadium.

Advertisement
considering that the lot size is less than 10 acres and hard rock (the stadium itself) is about 25 acres, i don't think a stadium there fits.
Man, my eyeball test told me otherwise but I trust that you've got the right numbers. Crazy. I haven't been there in years, but that central plaza area seemed cavernous.

The Fuchs family built Holsum Bakery at that location, Red & Sunset & US 1. George Wilson (a UM alum and an alum of my fraternity) married Jane Fuchs, and he was the guy running Holsum when they sold that particular site (late 70s/early 80s?). I just remember that Bakery Centre was newly constructed/recently opened when I started at UM in 1986, and then it was being demolished when I was finishing law school around 1996. I'm sure that @rsa coral gables and @Canesfreak can recall the demise of Brakery Centre, it happened while we were in law school.

I am not sure if UM was offered the opportunity to purchase that location in either the early 1980s or early 1990s. It certainly would have been a great location to expand a couple of schools that have struggled to find space, either with the School of Nursing (in close proximity to Baptist South Miami) and the School of Architecture (which was stuck in those ****** apartment buildings in the 1980s and most of the 1990s).

The Wilsons were very nice people, they hosted a few fraternity functions at their house in Cocoplum, since we did not have a house on The Row.
bakery centre was a design problem. at a time when malls where bringing in light and openness, then essentially designed and built a closed-in dome. don't know if the design came from the architects or the owners, but it failed miserably.

then came sunset place, which was bring and open, but never got the tenant mix/activity use right and it flopped. so that property is 0 for 2.

bakery centre was a design problem. at a time when malls where bringing in light and openness, then essentially designed and built a closed-in dome. don't know if the design came from the architects or the owners, but it failed miserably.

then came sunset place, which was bring and open, but never got the tenant mix/activity use right and it flopped. so that property is 0 for 2.

Yeah, the original Bakery Centre was interesting, I agree with you on the outer design, and then the inside was very Miami Vice-y. I went to that restaurant/club up in the top once with some of my fraternity brothers, and then some of the older fraternity brothers told us that a lot of the biggest drug kingpins in Miami liked to frequent that place. I think that the Mayfair in the Grove was also very poorly designed originally, around the same time (maybe a few years later).

Advertisement
Yeah, the original Bakery Centre was interesting, I agree with you on the outer design, and then the inside was very Miami Vice-y. I went to that restaurant/club up in the top once with some of my fraternity brothers, and then some of the older fraternity brothers told us that a lot of the biggest drug kingpins in Miami liked to frequent that place. I think that the Mayfair in the Grove was also very poorly designed originally, around the same time (maybe a few years later).
bakery centre was built more or less when the Falls was built and the Falls succeeded because it was open air.

the club was called Parallel Bar.

bakery centre was built more or less when the Falls was built and the Falls succeeded because it was open air.

the club was called Parallel Bar.

YES! Had completely forgotten the name of that place in Bakery. Parallel Bar!

Also went down to The Falls many times, loved walking around there. Not sure if you remember this, or if you've been a perfect gentleman your whole life, but there used to be a certain...bar...just north of The Falls, I believe it was off of Galloway (not sure if they have rerouted those roads since the 1980s)...place was called...The Organ Grinder...good lord, the "talent" was in serious need of a company dental plan...

Anyhow, after a fraternity function at "Omega Gamma" (our code name so that none of the girlfriends knew where we were), a couple of us got a call at about 4 in the morning...turns out one of the guys had been driving drunk and SOMEHOW wrecked his car inside of the covered parking lot at The Falls. I think he thought he was about to exit the parking lot, but hit a 2 foot wall. A bunch of us went down there to lift his car off of the little 8-inch curb and get it outside where a tow truck could get to the car.

Good times...thank god we didn't have cell phones and the internet back in the 80s...

Thank god. Was gonna have difficulty convincing myself the drive to Tropical Park was gonna be worth it from Palm Beach. Especially with the product we’ve seen recently.

Advertisement
YES! Had completely forgotten the name of that place in Bakery. Parallel Bar!

Also went down to The Falls many times, loved walking around there. Not sure if you remember this, or if you've been a perfect gentleman your whole life, but there used to be a certain...bar...just north of The Falls, I believe it was off of Galloway (not sure if they have rerouted those roads since the 1980s)...place was called...The Organ Grinder...good lord, the "talent" was in serious need of a company dental plan...

Anyhow, after a fraternity function at "Omega Gamma" (our code name so that none of the girlfriends knew where we were), a couple of us got a call at about 4 in the morning...turns out one of the guys had been driving drunk and SOMEHOW wrecked his car inside of the covered parking lot at The Falls. I think he thought he was about to exit the parking lot, but hit a 2 foot wall. A bunch of us went down there to lift his car off of the little 8-inch curb and get it outside where a tow truck could get to the car.

Good times...thank god we didn't have cell phones and the internet back in the 80s...
The Falls... Cafe Iguana.

The Fuchs family built Holsum Bakery at that location, Red & Sunset & US 1. George Wilson (a UM alum and an alum of my fraternity) married Jane Fuchs, and he was the guy running Holsum when they sold that particular site (late 70s/early 80s?). I just remember that Bakery Centre was newly constructed/recently opened when I started at UM in 1986, and then it was being demolished when I was finishing law school around 1996. I'm sure that @rsa coral gables and @Canesfreak can recall the demise of Brakery Centre, it happened while we were in law school.

I am not sure if UM was offered the opportunity to purchase that location in either the early 1980s or early 1990s. It certainly would have been a great location to expand a couple of schools that have struggled to find space, either with the School of Nursing (in close proximity to Baptist South Miami) and the School of Architecture (which was stuck in those ****** apartment buildings in the 1980s and most of the 1990s).

The Wilsons were very nice people, they hosted a few fraternity functions at their house in Cocoplum, since we did not have a house on The Row.
Speaking of the Fuchses.....Fuchs Park.....I wonder if Ruiz has envisioned what a stadium might look like there.

I don’t know **** but still wondering why anyone things taking over a public park for a stadium for a private entity has any realistic shot if
Happening anywhere in America that would be able to need one

Advertisement
I literally LOL’d when I saw that. 😂😂😂💀💀💀
We know where @AlexCane spends time “working”

show cutting GIF

texting autocorrect GIF by Scorpion Dagger

Advertisement
If we are gonna talk The Falls (area) and bars…no discussion is complete without mentioning Bogey’s Barn!

I've been thinking long and hard about that, actually.

Two words: "BAKERY... CENTER."

An amazing movie theatre on the bottom, a nightclub where people can blow off steam up top, even a gym! All with desolate art galleries and empty spaces scattered throughout.

I'm currently accepting investors.
parallel bar and body works gym too!!??
I’m in!!

Advertisement
Back