Anything Other Than Tom Jurich Is Unacceptable

Advertisement
Jurich is a Slavic name.

It’s not an Anglo-Saxon name like, let’s say, Blake James.
As someone whose family background is from the former Yugoslavia, I appreciate your nuance. I think Jurich would probably do an excellent job at UM, but as others have mentioned, I don't think he is the only qualified candidate. Having said that, there is a list of former Slavs who have done quite well in the past in managing teams as coaches (Nick Saban and Bill Belichek both have Croation backgrounds) and one of my all time favorite ADs, Sam Jankovich, who was at UM when I went to school there and brought in my favorite UM Coach, Jimmy Johnson.

OT - During Jankovich's tenure, UM had three national championships in football, and one each in baseball, men's and women's tennis, and women's golf...oh the days when we were winning in multiple areas, and he can also be credited with restarting the basketball program (Tito Horford for any of you old timers like me out there), and you want to talk about facilities, our basketball team started playing in what amounted to a stage in a theater called the Knight Center with the crowd on one side of the facility and the basketball band on the opposite side of the court or back part of the stage (very bizarre venue for basketball).

As someone whose family background is from the former Yugoslavia, I appreciate your nuance. I think Jurich would probably do an excellent job at UM, but as others have mentioned, I don't think he is the only qualified candidate. Having said that, there is a list of former Slavs who have done quite well in the past in managing teams as coaches (Nick Saban and Bill Belichek both have Croation backgrounds) and one of my all time favorite ADs, Sam Jankovich, who was at UM when I went to school there and brought in my favorite UM Coach, Jimmy Johnson.

OT - During Jankovich's tenure, UM had three national championships in football, and one each in baseball, men's and women's tennis, and women's golf...oh the days when we were winning in multiple areas, and he can also be credited with restarting the basketball program (Tito Horford for any of you old timers like me out there), and you want to talk about facilities, our basketball team started playing in what amounted to a stage in a theater called the Knight Center with the crowd on one side of the facility and the basketball band on the opposite side of the court or back part of the stage (very bizarre venue for basketball).
Sam Jankovich is the GOAT AD in UM history. As a person of Slavic descent, I take great pride in Sam’s accomplishments and am hoping UM hires Jurich.

Other than being a cuckold, what was diverse about Blake James, Kirby Hocutt, Shawn Eichorst or Paul Dee? I realize you are trying to be funny, but you are ignoring the facts.

It was a dumb joke with some truth to it.

Jurich is a old school white. Win at all cost. More of a alpha personality. Miami and their politics dont care for that type white.

James and hocutt are modern whites. All about inclusion and diversity. Not so much winning. Miami likes these whites.

Advertisement
You act like he's some hidden gem or diamond in the rough; dude was literally named SBJ's Athletic Director of the Year for 2021 and he's doing great things as Baylor with a monster budget. He could get a dozen better jobs than Miami tomorrow if he wanted to leave Baylor.

This is the same as our fans not realizing that Danny White had a better job at Central Florida than he would've at Miami—and that he was only leaving Orlando for a better job, which he took when Tennessee lured him away.

Per Rhoades' bio: "In May of 2019, as part of the Baylor Athletics Master Plan portion of the university’s $1.1 billion “Give Light” campaign, Rhoades announced the department would build a new $105 million basketball fieldhouse following the largest current gift in the university’s history. An anonymous lead gift will spearhead the Baylor Basketball Pavilion to provide an electric atmosphere for the department’s national championship-winning basketball programs.

Rhoades has led national searches for four head coaching positions during his time at Baylor, ultimately bringing to Waco, Matt Rhule (Football) in 2016, Casie Maxwell (Equestrian) in 2017, Brian Boland (Men’s Tennis) in 2018, Dave Aranda (Football) in 2020 and Nicki Collen (Women’s Basketball) in 2021. He also promoted Michael Woodson to head coach during the men’s tennis team’s postseason run to a national runner-up finish."

Mack Rhoades already has a better job at Baylor than he would at Miami. End of story.
Baylor is better than Miami well we will agree to disagree on that one. Nobody believed Lincoln Riley would leave Oklahoma for USC but they made the effort to get him. I know we should just accept that we don’t belong in Baylor’s stratosphere see this is why we wind up with guys like Fake James and Lispy. It’s some kind of inferiority complex I will never believe Baylor is a better deal than Miami. Never

Advertisement
Quit trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Guy from New Mexico because he's "from Miami" and "knows the culture"?

Former players because they "know this []_[]" and "put on the cleats" "knows what it takes"?

**** you.

Perfectly qualified administrator with a past of building and developing an athletic department, and wants the job, and you're not going to pick that guy?

Anything less than him, and it signifies that Miami is as unserious and uncaring as Kirk Herbstriet called them out for.

Quit being pathetic Miami. For once, get out of your own way.
Tom Jurich has been unemployed since 2017 and is 65.... Lots of other qualified candidates

Anyone still on the Jurich train is going to be disappointed. The likelihood is he's not going to be hired. Put aside whether you agree or disagree, the flags are all there that this ain't happening. Lower your expectations now so you aren't disappointed.

Advertisement
This is awesome 😂😂😂! ****'s are shook their hero won't be getting hired 😂!
the lord of the rings GIF

Quit trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Guy from New Mexico because he's "from Miami" and "knows the culture"?

Former players because they "know this []_[]" and "put on the cleats" "knows what it takes"?

**** you.

Perfectly qualified administrator with a past of building and developing an athletic department, and wants the job, and you're not going to pick that guy?

Anything less than him, and it signifies that Miami is as unserious and uncaring as Kirk Herbstriet called them out for.

Quit being pathetic Miami. For once, get out of your own way.

Dude who would have known that we have a subscriber on this site thats also an expert on every single AD in the country...

Anyone still on the Jurich train is going to be disappointed. The likelihood is he's not going to be hired. Put aside whether you agree or disagree, the flags are all there that this ain't happening. Lower your expectations now so you aren't disappointed.

We are miami fans so we should definitely lower expectations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back