A few game observations.

We’re getting better every game. Something we haven’t seen in years. The team never lost focus even when down on the road. And, it was very apparent that we were the better team as far as being in shape. Best team we’ve had in 20 years.
yup, best since Pata dominated Marcus Vick.

Isaiah Horton is playing like if anyone bothered to develop Lance Leggett of that same era.

Advertisement
I think the development of Mario as a CEO style head coach is something we are not talking about enough. It’s so difficult to change as human beings and now he’s seeing the positive results. This should mean great things for the program moving forward.
raiders lawyer GIF

Advertisement
The business-like Cam Ward we see now, was the opposite earlier in his career... and he turned it over a lot....
You were at the game yeah? I only ask because they addressed something I had never heard on tv during the game. They had asked Dawson about Cam’s turnovers in the past and I can’t exactly remember what he said. Something about how he was struggling taking snaps in the shotgun because his eyes were constantly watching the defense pre snap

Anyway, it was interesting regarding his fumbles that I had not heard before

Cam Ward has amnesia in the best possible way

I will never actually understand how he got such a bad relative draft analysis, and yes, I know it’s because of team not winning, but plenty of players get drafted in the first round despite their team not being great. Lotta scouts gonna take an L on that one.

And Mario clearly has adjusted, but you also have to give him credit because he did hire two guys and made quick cuts to hire them when he realized it wasn’t working, and despite reservations people had last year now we see what they can do. Granted Dawson is benefiting from having a one of one kind of quarterback guy, but there is a lot of room for him to be a great coordinator in between what he had with TVD and having Cam Ward now as we go forward.

The analysis some here had in the first half about our defense and guys like Porter and what they were trying to do overall makes me forever discount most of your guys takes on how the team is playing with the scheme and plan are.

Both of those coordinators are on track for a (further) big payday here as coordinators or getting looks as head coaching candidates if things continue

I was saying this all off season. Exiting that 7-6 vomit-inducing last season, we had holes everywhere. But on the coaching front, he'd already found his coordinators and mostly just needed an upgrade from Addae. So he could finally focus on portal evals.

And man did he hit those. I still have nightmares of Poff as our startin QB (well, it would have been Emory). But he did everything he needed to do. Landed Ward, Baron, Barrow, Meesh, Martinez, Brown, Carpenter, Clark, Cook, Alston, Hill, Aldermen. Just crazy talent improvement everywhere. And then he stepped back and let Guidry and Dawson cook.

Advertisement
I went to the game. Started at 7. 9:30 at halftime. 11:30 end. How can anyone expect continuity with a hundred 4 minute commercial breaks. It was ridiculous.
I think players were cramping up all game for both sides playing at USF's space in the FL humidity. I thought the same thing when I realized we were an hour in and not even halfway through the first quarter.

The one negative that must be pointed out is the penalties. I was so freaking impressed by the UF game with their poise and discipline.

Since then we are seeing pre snap penalties and worse personal fouls. I’m pretty sure Mario is ****ed off about it too. Didn’t see much of Fletcher after he got called for one early on.
I would not worry too much about penalties as they do not seem to be a good indicator of success.

Of the 4 playoff teams last year, Washington was # 127 in penalties and still made it to the championship game. Bama was # 50 and Texas # 73. The one caveat and argument that can be made is that Michigan was # 3 nationally in penalties but for whatever reason their opponents also were not called for many penalties . Few flags thrown in all Mich games.

Not a stat that seems to indicate much. Of the top 10 teams with the least penalties this year, none are in the top 25

I think the development of Mario as a CEO style head coach is something we are not talking about enough. It’s so difficult to change as human beings and now he’s seeing the positive results. This should mean great things for the program moving forward.
What Mario has known all along , is that good players will make him look like a genius.

I dont think Mario is a meddler type coach, that was always parotted by dodo Oregon fans.

He is a great recruiter, he hires solid to really good coaches, builds a culture of toughness and physicality.

Thats what he has always been.

i dont think he has ever called an offensive or defensive play here.

Mario wants to win, thats it.

Now has he grown, yes. Any successful coach has.

Advertisement
You were at the game yeah? I only ask because they addressed something I had never heard on tv during the game. They had asked Dawson about Cam’s turnovers in the past and I can’t exactly remember what he said. Something about how he was struggling taking snaps in the shotgun because his eyes were constantly watching the defense pre snap

Anyway, it was interesting regarding his fumbles that I had not heard before
yes, heard that too. They were talking about how he sees everything on the field, pre and post snap, and his brain is constantly working.

Shades of Mark Walton on the post-Golden-Firing 8 lateral kickoff touchdown against Duke. Just, on a run of the mill 3rd down.

Both wore #1.

Thanks for thet. Been a few years.

What an amazing friggen play and moment despite how down we were.

Advertisement
The one negative that must be pointed out is the penalties. I was so freaking impressed by the UF game with their poise and discipline.

Since then we are seeing pre snap penalties and worse personal fouls. I’m pretty sure Mario is ****ed off about it too. Didn’t see much of Fletcher after he got called for one early on.

Then you'd have pulled your hair out in our Glory Days.

Refs didn't even tuck their flags back in their pants - knowing they'd be throwing them again in a play or two.

Yes, penalties cost you - but some compared to playing flat - which I've agonized over the past couple decades - I'll forgive some penalties here and there if they're out there playing like a bunch of finessed monsters.

Advertisement
Back