2018 basketball recruiting

Lykes/DJ/Amp at guards

Sam/Gak Sf
Izundu PF
Miller C

Maybe play only 7..... Not sure how good we will be...

Everyone, and I mean everyone, literally keeps forgetting about Miles Wilson. 6-5 guard who played at Mount St. Mary's last year as a true freshman. Averaged 12 and 4 and then had 22 and 7 in the NCCAT against Villanova and also 17 and 11 against New Orleans in the NCAA play-in game. I think this kid is going to be really good. Will be a sophomore next year with 3 years of eligibility left.

University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lykes/DJ/Amp at guards

Sam/Gak Sf
Izundu PF
Miller C

Everyone, and I mean everyone, literally keeps forgetting about Miles Wilson. 6-5 guard who played at Mount St. Mary's last year as a true freshman. Averaged 12 and 4 and then had 22 and 7 in the NCCAT against Villanova and also 17 and 11 against New Orleans in the NCAA play-in game. I think this kid is going to be really good. Will be a sophomore next year with 3 years of eligibility left.

Thanks for reminding everyone of Wilson. The Mount always has good mid-major teams. Very comparable to Siena and we all recall, I'm sure, Mr. Jack McClinton. Not saying Wilson is Jack but ... no one should be surprised if this young man is really good (as you predict) and shows he can play ACC-caliber ball. Another big from somewhere and we'd be more than Ok.

Consider Bam Adebayo who averaged 13ppg and 8rbpg and shot .599. Huell already has comparable numbers and is shooting .641. I agree that he has to play well in the ACC but I don't think he has to average 19ppg to show enough potential to show up on the scouts first round radar.

1. I never said he has to average 19PPG. I said that Huell has to get his numbers up against better competition.

2. As for Bam, it is a bad comparison. Bam played ONE year at Kentucky. Bam played well from day ONE. Bam played well when it mattered most too. Bam and Huell aren't on the same level at this point.

I don't think its a bad comparison or that is matters whether you play well from day one. Lonnie Walker didn't play well from day 1. Your talent, ability and potential get you drafted. Huell is big on 2 of those things and his ability is just starting to catch up.

He hasn't done enough to get drafted round 1 yet, but he's on a good trajectory. It could happen this year. If not, even better for us.

Lykes/DJ/Amp at guards

Sam/Gak Sf
Izundu PF
Miller C

Saw him against UNO in the First Four game in Dayton. Can really move with the ball, shoot the three, and wiped the defensive glass like Windex!

Nice ACC depth pick-up who will be a feature player in some contests.

Consider Bam Adebayo who averaged 13ppg and 8rbpg and shot .599. Huell already has comparable numbers and is shooting .641. I agree that he has to play well in the ACC but I don't think he has to average 19ppg to show enough potential to show up on the scouts first round radar.

1. I never said he has to average 19PPG. I said that Huell has to get his numbers up against better competition.

2. As for Bam, it is a bad comparison. Bam played ONE year at Kentucky. Bam played well from day ONE. Bam played well when it mattered most too. Bam and Huell aren't on the same level at this point.

I don't think its a bad comparison or that is matters whether you play well from day one. Lonnie Walker didn't play well from day 1. Your talent, ability and potential get you drafted. Huell is big on 2 of those things and his ability is just starting to catch up.

He hasn't done enough to get drafted round 1 yet, but he's on a good trajectory. It could happen this year. If not, even better for us.

It is a bad comparison because when a freshman plays well immediately it shows they may be ready to step up to better competition because they can adapt quickly. Do you not understand the difference? Do you understand why Lonnie being projected a first round pick and Huell’s future are unrelated and irrelevant?

Advertisement

It is a bad comparison because when a freshman plays well immediately it shows they may be ready to step up to better competition because they can adapt quickly. Do you not understand the difference? Do you understand why Lonnie being projected a first round pick and Huell’s future are unrelated and irrelevant?

Maybe when you see Dewan Huell you see Kenny Kadji. A good college player with moderate pro potential. I see Dewan Huell as everything pro scouts reach for when they draft on potential. If this team gets to the great 8 this year like many believe will happen and Huell shines on the big stage, he's gone. Even if he only averages 14ppg and 7 bds, which is exactly one more point and 1 more board than he's avergaing right now, that will be enough.

When teams draft on potential, game numbers aren't the final metric.

Maybe when you see Dewan Huell you see Kenny Kadji. A good college player with moderate pro potential. I see Dewan Huell as everything pro scouts reach for when they draft on potential. If this team gets to the great 8 this year like many believe will happen and Huell shines on the big stage, he's gone. Even if he only averages 14ppg and 7 bds, which is exactly one more point and 1 more board than he's avergaing right now, that will be enough.

It's almost as if we're having a different conversation.

1. I am not saying that teams don't draft on potential. Never hinted at that. My main point was that Huell hasn't shown enough as of today to be considered a first round pick. He hasn't done anything of relevance, consistently and/or against real competition. In addition nothing jumps out and screams...take a chance on me even though the numbers aren't great. That is why I brought up Collins because he is a guy that started off okay (freshman year) and his production really jumped his sophomore year (against real competition). If Huell can do it against real competition, I can see things changing.

2. I don't see Kadji in Huell unless Huell can really develop a long range jumper and the ability to drain a three. I understand what you're saying about potential though.

3. Huell is not a 14 and 7 guy, he is a 13 and 6 guy. 13.3 PPG and 6.3 RPG.

Best case with FBI investigation: Things stay as they are for UM. Some smoke, but no fire. And, everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Worst case scenario: Not as serious as Louisville situation, but Coach L could still be gone. Would depend on how Frenk views any damage and assesses "big picture" fallout to the university's rep and finances.

Even in best case scenario, some negative effect on HS recruiting (as has already occurred). Worst case: Basketball program set back 3 years. One good thing about basketball vs. football is that with hoops you only need a handful of good players; on the gridiron, you need many multiples of that number of serious contributors.

Advertisement
Best case with FBI investigation: Things stay as they are for UM. Some smoke, but no fire. And, everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Worst case scenario: Not as serious as Louisville situation, but Coach L could still be gone. Would depend on how Frenk views any damage and assesses "big picture" fallout to the university's rep and finances.

Even in best case scenario, some negative effect on HS recruiting (as has already occurred). Worst case: Basketball program set back 3 years. One good thing about basketball vs. football is that with hoops you only need a handful of good players; on the gridiron, you need many multiples of that number of serious contributors.

Worst case scenario could only happen if you actually believe that Coach L had any knowledge of this. You would have to be a complete idiot to think he did. Zero chance that he did and if he were the coach at UF or FSU I would say the same thing.

Last edited:

Worst case scenario could only happen if you actually believe that Coach L had any knowledge of this. You would have to be a complete idiot to think he did. Zero chance that he did and if he were the coach at UF or FSU I would say the same thing.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you or I think. If those indicted Adidas execs are singing, it will come down to whether the Dept of Justice feels there is enough hard evidence (probably recordings of phone conversations) to take a case forward. Even if they feel the evidence would not hold up in a courtroom, we could be left with the "court of public opinion' (basically meaning the sportswriters, pundits and television reporters with their platforms) helping the public decide who, and what, to believe based on the "preponderance of the evidence."

Wouldn't be the first time an innocent person has been treated unfairly, or that craven administrators have left a coach "twisting in the wind" until they resign. Let's all hope we hear no more on this FBI investigation, meaning they've satisfied themselves that "there is no there, there" in the case of UM!

Still not clear about the NCAA. Would the Justice Dept - if they decide they can't prosecute a successful criminal case - refer their final Report of Investigation to the NCAA for that body to consider acting on? Lots of moving parts.

Last edited:
Advertisement

It's almost as if we're having a different conversation.

1. I am not saying that teams don't draft on potential. Never hinted at that. My main point was that Huell hasn't shown enough as of today to be considered a first round pick. He hasn't done anything of relevance, consistently and/or against real competition. In addition nothing jumps out and screams...take a chance on me even though the numbers aren't great. That is why I brought up Collins because he is a guy that started off okay (freshman year) and his production really jumped his sophomore year (against real competition). If Huell can do it against real competition, I can see things changing.

2. I don't see Kadji in Huell unless Huell can really develop a long range jumper and the ability to drain a three. I understand what you're saying about potential though.

3. Huell is not a 14 and 7 guy, he is a 13 and 6 guy. 13.3 PPG and 6.3 RPG.

This is the same conversation. I simply said that I thought that we could lose Huell to the draft. You gave your reasons why you disagreed. Sometimes people see different things in players. Like I said he looks like the kind of kid the scouts would like to ME. I understand you don't agree. I am projecting in about 3 months into the season(January) that he'll start to shine based on his body of work.

Advertisement
Not aware of any mutual interest on Alvarez. He's a good player; albeit at the 2A level the competition is always suspect.

Some of his offers include schools that just signed PGs (UVA, Wichita State). He recently visited Akron and has a couple of officials left. If the staff moved on him, it would have to be soon.

Not aware of any mutual interest on Alvarez. He's a good player; albeit at the 2A level the competition is always suspect.

Some of his offers include schools that just signed PGs (UVA, Wichita State). He recently visited Akron and has a couple of officials left. If the staff moved on him, it would have to be soon.

Anyone we move on has to be soon. We're running out of time.

Advertisement
Back