2012 schedule is pretty tough

Advertisement
I am worried about @Kansas St. They are a senior heavy team. They return SR. QB Collin Klein who accounted for a team high 27 touchdowns; An 1000 yard JR RB John Hubert; The teams leading receiver SR. WR Chris Harper, a transfer from Oregon; the leader in INTs SR DB Nigel Malone with 7; Leading tackler SR LB Author Brown, a former hurricane; Leading sack man SR DE Meshak Williams; a sr kicker and punter.

In fact 13 student-athletes are on Phil Steele’s 2012 preseason All-American and All-Big 12 football teams released by the publication on May 17th, 2012. http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051712aaa.html

This game in Manhattan, KS will be a great challenge for our young team. Stopping/containing Klein's production will be key. K-state has the experience but we have more explosive play-makers. We will be tested mentally and physically. I believe with how we preform in this game we will be able to gauge our improvement in toughness and the overall impact of the U-tough program thus far.

Personally I will be hyphy if we pull it off. I am predicting that it will come down to whoever turns the ball over less.

We will find out who are leaders are during this one fellow canes.

I've got our games ranked like this.

In order from toughest to easiest:

FSU
@ K-State
VT
@ Notre Dame
@ Virginia
@ Ga. Tech
NC ST
UNC
@ BC
USF
@ Duke
Bethune

That schedule is easy as **** compared to past years. I say we go 9-3 or better.

That schedule is easy as **** compared to past years. I say we go 9-3 or better.

Optimistic much? Since 2010 we've been in the top 20 SOS and this year it's no different. The thing now is that we are correctly ranked in the top 20. In year's past though the schedule was difficult, the opponents weren't and the offense was able to hang. This year is totally different; the schedule and the opponents are difficult, and the offense is unstable. The ceiling is 8-4 (Losses @ND, vs FSU, vs VT, and @Virginia) the floor is 6-6 (Losses @ND, vs FSU, vs VT, @Virginia, @KSU, and vs NCSt). You have to look at like this: we are a young team with some potential talent on defense and offense(8-4), but if our young players don't flash their talent we could end up 6-6. I have all the faith in Golden and the staff but this year is more of a rebuilding year than a breakout year.

Advertisement
We have been so mediocre to bad that this schedule looks tough. I happen to think going into the season that Fsu will be our toughest or most talented team we will play. I think Notre Dame and Va Tech are top 25 type teams. Im not sure what KSU has coming back . . . but everyone else looks like teams like us, sorta mediocre. Being mediocre ourselves, you have games where you take BC to the shed, Ksu by a field goal, number 8 Fsu to the wire, sleep walk against Bethune, lose to Uva, and look like **** against Duke. I want to see improvement on the field. We have 6 games we can potentially improve upon. I know we measure success in wins and losses, but I want to see improvement across the board. No moral victory crap, but real improvement. I dont expect us to be up every game. **** 2001 we werent up every game. But until we pull away from other mediocre teams we will be a more or less glorified Clemson . . . and that sux.

imur, I don't think it's fair to Clemson to make that comparison, they at least won the ACC last year (even if it was mediocre and they got destroyed by WVU) and to say 'glorified Clemson', I would be hard pressed to call us a 'poor man's Clemson' at the moment. Either way, you are right,the position we are in now... sux.

ACC: With K-State, Notre Dame and USF, Miami has league's toughest schedule

If Florida State misses out on playing for the BCS National Championship, it can blame West Virginia.
One of a handful of legitimate national title contenders, the ‘Noles enter this season with non-conference
games against FCS opponents Savannah State and Murray State. If FSU finishes this fall in a close BCS
race for one of the top two series ranking positions, those two gimme putt FCS games could be the deciding factor in poll voting.

One of those two games (Savannah State) came about after West Virginia backed out of a game in Tallahassee.
“We’re going to play every game as if it’s the most important,” said FSU coach Jimbo Fisher. “You can’t worry about things you can’t control.”
FSU athletic director Randy Spetman says the school tried to find a suitable replacement, including potential deals with Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Cincinnati, Syracuse and Pitt.

“We reached a point where our options simply dried up,” Spetman said.
If not for those two FCS games, FSU would be among the top two in Sporting News’ annual ranking of non-conference schedules—instead of mid-pack.

[h=2]From worst to first[/h] 1. Miami: at Kansas State, Bethune-Cookman, Notre Dame (at Chicago), USF
2. Virginia: Richmond, Penn State, at TCU, Louisiana Tech
3. Clemson: Auburn (at Atlanta), Ball State, Furman, South Carolina
4. Virginia Tech: Austin Peay, at Pittsburgh, Bowling Green, at Cincinnati
5. Georgia Tech: Presbyterian, Middle Tennessee, BYU, at Georgia
6. Florida State: Murray State, Savannah State, at USF, Florida
7. Wake Forest: Liberty, Army, at Notre Dame, Vanderbilt
8. Maryland: William & Mary, at Temple, UConn, at West Virginia
9. Boston College: Maine, at Northwestern, at Army, Notre Dame
10. N.C. State: Tennessee (at Atlanta), at UConn, South Alabama, Citadel
11. Duke: FIU, at Stanford, North Carolina-Central, Memphis
12. North Carolina: Elon, at Louisville, ECU, Idaho
[h=2]The Scoreboard[/h] Games against BCS teams: 23 of 48 (48 percent)
Games against non-BCS teams: 12 of 48 (25 percent)
Games against FCS teams: 13 of 48 (27 percent)
[h=2]Five best games[/h] 1. Miami at Kansas State
2. Clemson vs. Auburn
3. Penn State at Virginia
4. Maryland at West Virginia
5. N.C. State vs. Tennessee
[h=2]Five worst games[/h] 1. Savannah State at FSU
2. Austin Peay at Virginia Tech
3. Murray State at FSU
4. Presbyterian at Georgia Tech
5. Bethune-Cookman at Miami
[h=2]Quick hits[/h] —At some point, the ACC must start winning big non-conference games. They’ve had opportunities the last two years,
and failed miserably. It begins again this fall in Week 1 with two key games against SEC teams in the Georgia Dome:
N.C. State vs. Tennessee and Clemson vs. Auburn. While Tennessee and Auburn aren’t elite SEC teams, losing those
two games will do as much damage—if not more—to the ACC’s reputation than winning them.

—You’re Al Golden. You’re dealing with potential NCAA violations while beginning Year 2 of a rebuilding project,
and you have a young team desperate for confidence. This is what your former athletic director, Kirby Hocutt (the guy who hired you),
left you: road games against Kansas State and Notre Dame (in Chicago), and a series against USF that suddenly has turned into a white-knuckle fistfight.

—Larry Fedora, one of the true good guys of the game, gets a break in his first season at North Carolina.
While he’s busy battling the ramifications (on and off the field) of NCAA probation, his first team gets three winnable
home games (Elon, ECU, Idaho), and a winnable road game (at Louisville). The Tar Heels were 4-0 in non-con games
last fall (including wins over Louisville and ECU), won three ACC games and lost another three league games by a combined 16 points.

—Most deceiving non-con schedule in the nation: Virginia. It begins with FCS heavyweight Richmond and includes
games against Penn State and Louisiana Tech at home, and TCU on the road. Penn State was at the top of the
Big Ten before the off-field trauma of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, and LaTech may be the best non-BCS team
in the nation. Add in TCU, which beat UVa by 16 in 2009 at Charlottesville, and the Cavs will be fortunate to split their four non-con games.

College football: Ranking the nonconference schedules

Ranking the nonconference schedules of the teams in college football's six major conferences:

1. Michigan: Alabama at Arlington, Texas; Air Force, Massachusetts, at Notre Dame. Now that's a schedule. Hail to the victors. One dud game out of four. Hey, Wolverines, you make 1973 proud.
2. Syracuse: Northwestern, Southern Cal, Stony Brook, at Minnesota, at Missouri. I have to admit, I didn't know that schedules like this existed anymore. The Orange is playing four nonconference games against major-conference foes. Four!
3. Miami: at Kansas State, Bethune-Cookman, Notre Dame at Chicago, South Florida. Super, super schedule. USF is only the third-best nonconference game.
4. Michigan State: Boise State, at Central Michigan, Notre Dame, Eastern Michigan. Wow, home games against Boise State and Notre Dame. The Spartans also host Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa and Northwestern. That's a season ticket.
5. Clemson: Auburn at Atlanta, Ball State, Furman, South Carolina. Auburn and South Carolina. Good job, Clemson.
6. South Florida: Chattanooga, at Nevada, at Ball State, Florida State, at Miami. Excellent schedule by the Bulls. One automatic win. Two road games at mid-majors. Two games against traditional powers.
7. Oregon State: Nicholls State, Wisconsin, at Brigham Young: The Badgers and BYU. Excellent work, Beavers.
8. Georgia Tech: Presbyterian, Middle Tennessee, BYU, at Georgia. Interesting pair of marquee games, from the traditional in-state rivalry to Brigham Young.
9. Pittsburgh: Youngstown State, Virginia Tech, Gardner-Webb, at Buffalo, at Notre Dame. The Panthers have to feel a little deprived. They keep losing traditional rivals. Penn State won't play anymore. The Backyard Brawl with West Virginia is on hold until conference realignment settles down.
10. Virginia: Richmond, Penn State, at TCU, Louisiana Tech. Who knows what the Nittany Lions will be like in the post-Joe Paterno era, but either way, solid schedule. Kudos to the Cavaliers.
11. Southern Cal: Hawaii; Syracuse at East Rutherford, N.J.; Notre Dame. You can always count on the Trojans for quality entertainment.
12. UCLA: at Rice, Nebraska, Houston. Not many teams from Texas play both LA teams. Not many teams from LA play both Houston teams.
13. Louisville: Kentucky, Missouri State, North Carolina, at Florida International, at Southern Mississippi. Not a bad schedule. No one considers a trip to Hattiesburg, Miss., easy. And FIU is getting better.
14. Missouri: Southeastern Louisiana, Arizona State, at Central Florida, Syracuse. Hey, Missouri. Three decent games? They'll kick you out of the SEC.
15. Washington: San Diego State, at LSU, Portland State. Too bad UW isn't any better. That game in the Bayou would be good.
16. Maryland: William & Mary, at Temple, Connecticut, at West Virginia. Temple waxed Maryland 38-7 last year at College Park; now the Terrapins go to Temple, plus play UConn and West Virginia.
17. Arizona State: Northern Arizona, Illinois, at Missouri. I suppose I should rank higher anyone that's playing a Big Ten school and an SEC school, but I just have little regard for Illinois.
18. California: Nevada, Southern Utah, at Ohio State. I have to confess. I didn't know Southern Utah had a football team.
19. Florida State: Murray State, Savannah State, at South Florida, Florida. What a schedule the Seminoles would have if West Virginia hadn't bolted and been replaced, out of necessity, by Savannah State.
20. Boston College: Maine, at Northwestern, at Army, Notre Dame. This schedule would rank No. 1 in the Big 12.
21. South Carolina: East Carolina, Alabama-Birmingham, Wofford, at Clemson. Playing East Carolina will be dicey for the Gamecocks. No other SEC school has scheduled the Pirates since 1998.
22. Stanford: San Jose State, Duke, at Notre Dame. The quality is starting to thin.
23. Temple: Villanova, Maryland, at Penn State, at Army. Still short a game, but even if the Owls added a cupcake, they wouldn't fall on this list. Maryland and Penn State are decent games.
24. Wake Forest: Liberty, Army, at Notre Dame, Vanderbilt. If anyone had reason to dumb down a schedule, it's Wake. But this is smart and solid.
25. Virginia Tech: Austin Peay, at Pitt, Bowling Green, Cincinnati. Pittsburgh joins the ACC next season, but until then, the Panthers are a solid nonleague foe.
26. North Carolina State: Tennessee at Atlanta, at Connecticut, South Alabama, The Citadel. Decent schedule. Even South Alabama has joined Division I-A.
27. Oklahoma: at UTEP, Florida A&M, Notre Dame. Play a real game, like the Fighting Irish, and you zoom to the top of the Big 12 list.
28. Northwestern: at Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Boston College, South Dakota. Not really a marquee game in the bunch. But three solid games out of four. Hard to argue much with that.
29. Iowa State: Tulsa, at Iowa, Western Illinois. Strange, how there's no correlation between program prominence and scheduling prowess. This isn't a bad schedule. Road game against a Big Ten rival, home game against a decent program in Tulsa. The automatic-win game. Kudos to the Cyclones.
30. Nebraska: Southern Mississippi, at UCLA, Arkansas State, Idaho State. Southern Miss lifts the Huskers above all the other let's-play-just-one-real-team Big Ten schedules.
31. Kansas State: Missouri State, Miami, North Texas. What kind of bizarro world are we living in? K-State is among the upper half in scheduling might?
32. Florida: Bowling Green, Louisiana-Lafayette, Jacksonville State, at Florida State. Classic SEC schedule. Three automatic wins, one good game.

Advertisement
9-22 @Georgia Tech

I don't like this game. Miami has destroyed that offense the past few years, but this is a young defense. I sense a tough game up there.

I agree its a tough game however I don't see us getting crushed like we did when Randy went up there and we got 500yd put on us

In regards to the KState game.

We also played them at a time in the season where our defense was a complete cluster ***, and we STILL should have won.

We may not be very good, but I'm betting we'll be more aggressive, stronger, and smarter.

The more I think on our defense, the more I picture our 'Canes being on QB's and ball carriers like a pack of wolves. We won't get surprised by that KS QB, and in fact will be hunting his bigass. Man, he killed us just by keeping drives alive.

QB play is the variable. We get DECENT QB play, we'll get one **** of a lot more than 6 wins.

Think of what we did last year with Jacory.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back