2012 schedule is pretty tough

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
9-1 @Boston College
9-8 @Kansas State
9-15 Bethune Cookman
9-22 @Georgia Tech
9-29 NC State
10-6 Notre Dame (veritable ND home game in Chicago)
10-13 North Carolina
10-20 Florida St
10-27 bye
11-1 Virginia Tech (Thursday)
11-10 @Virginia
11-17 South Florida
11-24 @Duke

We have 4 out of 6 on the road to open the season, then have to come home and play UNC, FSU, and VTech consecutively.

A LOT of toss-up games overall.

I'll be happy with simply getting bowl-eligible.

Advertisement
I believe we will start out going 5-0 going into the Notre Dame.I might have orange and green glasses on but I really feel that way.:stormwarning:

Thankfully we finally have our off week in the later part of the season. I remember Golden mentioning his distaste about it being in the second or third week last year.

Advertisement
9-22 @Georgia Tech

I don't like this game. Miami has destroyed that offense the past few years, but this is a young defense. I sense a tough game up there.

We have been so mediocre to bad that this schedule looks tough. I happen to think going into the season that Fsu will be our toughest or most talented team we will play. I think Notre Dame and Va Tech are top 25 type teams. Im not sure what KSU has coming back . . . but everyone else looks like teams like us, sorta mediocre. Being mediocre ourselves, you have games where you take BC to the shed, Ksu by a field goal, number 8 Fsu to the wire, sleep walk against Bethune, lose to Uva, and look like **** against Duke. I want to see improvement on the field. We have 6 games we can potentially improve upon. I know we measure success in wins and losses, but I want to see improvement across the board. No moral victory crap, but real improvement. I dont expect us to be up every game. **** 2001 we werent up every game. But until we pull away from other mediocre teams we will be a more or less glorified Clemson . . . and that sux.

K-State is an early measuring stick game. They will be a physical, well coached, and mentally tough team. For a young Canes team playing on the road it will be tough.

Think back a few years ago to when this game was scheduled. The reality of that game this year vs the perception of what it would be when first schedules is quite different to say the least.

this is one of the softest schedules we have had in quite some time. all of our tough games are at home. alot could go either way but an acc title game appearance wouldnt be crazy even with this team.

Advertisement
K-State is an early measuring stick game. They will be a physical, well coached, and mentally tough team. For a young Canes team playing on the road it will be tough.

Think back a few years ago to when this game was scheduled. The reality of that game this year vs the perception of what it would be when first schedules is quite different to say the least.

a 6 win Miami team was a half an inch away from beating them last year before they or we knew who they were. they have a tough QB but they dont woo me with their talent. they will be well coached but we should be also. I think we can win this game.

Whomever makes Miami's schedule needs to DIAF. There's no reason to start ACC play with your first game.

The schedule is soft if we were a good team. A middle of the road team like us has a fighting chance with a schedule like that.

Advertisement
A lot of games could go either way much like last year. We could win anywhere from 5 to 9. 9 is the best case scenario imo

I'll go with 3-2 to start the year, 4-4 by the VT game, finish 7-5...

The first two games of the season are key.

We will have a lot of momentum and confidence if we can go on the road and win both of those.

Advertisement
Phil Steele has UM's 2012 strength of schedule as #20 in difficulty, the toughest of any ACC team.

By contrast Va. Tech's SOS is ranked #60.

Steele has FSU's SOS at #99.

I can mark 4 games off that I think we will/should win: @BC, vs Bethune, vs South Florida(their defense should not be overlooked), and @Duke
Toss ups in order are
@GT- Yes, I know we've have handled them the past couple of years and I expect the same this year, but I think their offense will move the ball on our defense better than year's past.
vsNCSt- Don't know much about them except that they have imo an NFL-caliber QB in Mike Glennon and that they lost their top WR in TJ Graham to the NFL. The defense has to be careful so that this does not turn into Miami vs Maryland 2011.
@Virginia The defense has to stop Kevin Parks and Perry Jones who ran for 152 yards on Miami last year.
vsUNC- I don't see too much of a challenge from UNC this year with all the defensive talent that left for the draft, but they still have Brynn Renner and Giovanni Bernard. We also have to look out for Erik Highsmith.
@Kansas State- Probably the biggest crowd we'll be in front of until vs FSU. The thing that worries me is that they can put up points (7 games with 30+ points; 6-1) and Colin Klein, you know the guy that ran all over our defense. John Hubert, who had his best game against us, should be watched too.
@ND- If they can lose to USF they can lose to us. Probably the second best defense we face besides FSU, and have to deal with the best TE in college football in Tyler Eifert. The good thing is that Michael Floyd is gone :D
vs VT- Lamar Miller's spectacular game almost gave Miami the win, but Logan Thomas' nearly perfect game surged VT over Miami. The good thing is Jarret Boykin, Danny Coale, and David Wilson are gone. The bad news is that they still have Logan Thomas and a good defense.
Loss
vs FSU- Yes I know this is a rivalry game and that anything can happen, but their defense just outweighs our offense right now. Lamar Miller and Streeter's speed would be useful as all of their defensive players run like cheetahs, hopefully by then the underclassmen would have stepped up.

Whomever makes Miami's schedule needs to DIAF. There's no reason to start ACC play with your first game.

since its boston college i will take it.

We said the same thing about Maryland until alot of starters got suspended for dumb ****.

yet we were still in position to win on the final drive of the game with the most depleted roster I have seen in a long long time. Im ok with it, just no FSU or VT.

Advertisement
Back