2011 Team vs. 2012 Team

Hurrikane

Band
Banned
Where do you guys see advantages vs. disadvantages? For example, its the preseason but can we already imagine a stronger secondary? Last year we had McGee, Williams, Finnie and Chambers. This year we will have McGee, Finnie, Gunter, Howard, Crawford, etc.

Thanks and look forward to good conversation.

:neonu:

Advertisement
Some advantages for 2012 include more physical strength, better conditioning, second year in the system, and, quite possibly, more dedication and generally better attitude.

As far as the personnel goes, I am very optimistic about some of these guys, but I have been wrong before about some players and right about others, so I am just gonna watch 'em and root for 'em.

For the long run, I think we are on our way to improving, but, for this year, I just don't know yet.

One advantage that doesn't get enough talk is the coaching staff has a year under their belt preparing for ACC teams. They should know there enemies better than they did last year. They also should have a better grasp of who they are going to battle with as opposed to last year which was basically a mash unit learning under fire.

I think people forget how many close games we lost last year...how much of that can be attributed to lack of conditioning and strength! If we are genuinely in better shape and the talent is always there, it makes for some improved play.

Talent wise, I think we are in good shape with DT, CB and S. Play should definitely improve! I really doubt we get worse play for QB, WR and RB. I just really believe these guys will step it up!

My opinion.... Look for an 8 or 9 win season. Good improvement overall!!

Advantages: 1) Continuity in the coaching staff...this is a huge one

2) Better D-line. While we have more youth and untested kids on the line, and we lost Vernon at end, it still should be a stronger overall line. Last year we had a patchwork line for most of the season due to suspensions and injuries. We played a big part of the season without true DTs on the line. This year, even if we only have mediocre DTs, at least they are all actually DTs.

3) Linebacker....barring any more injuries. While Spence is gone, Denzel has a full year's experience under his belt, Paul has some game experience now, Buchanon is healthy again and brings a lot of experience and hopefully some leadership. Gaines has had a chance to gain experience and continue his growth. Last year again due to suspensions and injuries we played with a patchwork linebacking corps.

4) Secondary....without a doubt. Between suspensions and having to start Mike Williams (who played his heart out but just wasn't big-time college material), this is a no-brainer for being improved. Finnie now has game experience. Telemaque, no matter what you think of his playing ability, at least brings senior leadership and experience to the secondary. McGee showed improvement towards the end of the year and should be more consistent than last year...and of course, we have Howard and Bush.

Toss up:

1) RB. This could swing to being an improvement if Mike James truly begins to live up to his potential, and if Duke performs as advertised. For now, the loss of Miller has to be viewed as a big blow.

2) WR. This also could swing to being an improvement, but it depends on some serious development by some very young players. Meanwhile, the loss of Streeter and Benjamin is a big loss of production, but Dorsett can take over as the speed receiver, and overall if the freshmen play well we might not have just two primary receivers, but instead have a productive WR by committee situation. This committee approach is especially likely with Hurns appearing to have a hard time staying healthy for long stretches of time.

3) O-line. This could go either way. Remains to be seen. Key could be whether Seantrel gets back to being the Seantrel we saw his freshman year, thus providing important depth.

4) QB. Other than BC Jacory played very well last season, no matter what the haters say. Morris has shown flashes, but we'll see if he can be that player consistently.

Disadvantage:

1) Youth and inexperience...and this is a huge one. This one disadvantage could overshadow all of the advantages if the freshman don't show a lot of growth and maturity very quickly. The talent is there, but no matter how talented, the dumb freshman mistakes are going to happen. We can only hope that they don't happen at the most inopportune times that cost us scores, and games. The big bright spot for those watching the games at least will be that we can chalk up those mistakes we'll be seeing to the fact that they are freshman, and look forward to next year. Much better than watching the many stupid "freshman" mistakes being done by the juniors and seniors as we've seen in the past few years.

Advertisement
QB: We'll see - I'm optimistic
RB: 2011 - small margin
WR: We'll see - I'm neutral.
TE: 2012 - small margin
OL: 2012 - small margin
DE: 2011 - humongous margin
DT: 2012 - small margin
LB: 2012 - small margin
DB: 2012 - small margin
ST: 2012 - small margin

What did we have last year at DE that was so great?
Chick - Easily our best as a true Freshman that lacked strength
Vernon - Suspended for half the season, barely did anything the other half (1.5 sacks)
Pierre - Much better fit at tackle
Robinson - Had a few sacks, but for the most part got manhandled
Green - injured most of the year
Smith - 3rd in tackles for DEs with 24, no sacks
Ojomo - moved to tackle

Did I miss anyone? Because that doesn't seem too difficult to replace.

What did we have last year at DE that was so great?
Chick - Easily our best as a true Freshman that lacked strength
Vernon - Suspended for half the season, barely did anything the other half (1.5 sacks)
Pierre - Much better fit at tackle
Robinson - Had a few sacks, but for the most part got manhandled
Green - injured most of the year
Smith - 3rd in tackles for DEs with 24, no sacks
Ojomo - moved to tackle

Did I miss anyone? Because that doesn't seem too difficult to replace.

Depth. You just listed 7 guys who were all serviceable. This year we have 1 guy, Chick, and 2 guys who have been extremely unreliable here for their careers in Green (injuries) & Cain (knucklehead who is way undersized). If Chick were to get injured, this position would be absolute utter disaster. Guys like Smith and Robinson might not have been superstars but they could hold up and take snaps. Vernon is going to be a stud in the NFL, and even though he was unreliable he could take snaps and make a play when he felt like it. This year I'm not even convinced we have guys who can take snaps.

agree with most of this BUT you have to give 2011 the big edge at WR and RB at this point. we are going off of pure speculation at those spots for 2012

Advertisement
agree with most of this BUT you have to give 2011 the big edge at WR and RB at this point. we are going off of pure speculation at those spots for 2012

I probably should have given 2011 WR the edge.... TB3 and Streeter were very good players. I just feel good about this bunch for some reason, but it's speculation.
At RB, I feel like James should be better, and Lamar spent half the year not being as good as we think he was due to the shoulder.... I feel like Duke's going to give us some of those explosive plays that Lamar gave us, and Clements should be better than he was last year also. I don't think the drop off will be as significant as it looks on paper.... at least not after Duke gets his feet wet.

One advantage that doesn't get enough talk is the coaching staff has a year under their belt preparing for ACC teams. They should know there enemies better than they did last year. They also should have a better grasp of who they are going to battle with as opposed to last year which was basically a mash unit learning under fire.

Great point.

QB- 2011 (for now)
RB- Push
WR- 2011
TE- 2012
OL- 2012

DE- Push. MRob made a few plays for us but that's about it.
DT- 2012. Better depth.
LB- 2012
CB- 2012
S- Push

I liked our offense a little bit better heading in to the season last year, though the potential this year is very exciting. I definitely like out defense this year a lot better than last year though.

i think looking back at this point last year, we had many of the same concerns and question marks/what ifs - but 2nd year in system and knowing ACC opponents is true; new attitude and stronger - the Season depends on Art and DB coach (and whoever is coaching/recruiting LB is doing a great job)

1) QB, 2011 - Scared of INTS - 2012 - Excited but no interceptions, please tuck it and find RB - WR who will make plays, last year we could only say Benj was legit - Scott? Dorsett? Hurns? ML? RL? HW? DC? RJ (look at the kids tape ) To be honest I want Dorsett, Scott, and DC most of the time, and more 4 WR sets with PD, Scott, RL, and ML and screens with HW, Duke, and RJ (Hurns can block - and I hope this year he is consistant, opportunities may have been limitied last year) Too many players dissapear for weeks at all positions, but maybe at WR the most and that is unacceptable, and TE last year is a good example - disapearing for weeks is good at CB, but not safety VT or any D position
2) Rb - we didnt know LM would look good the first 4/5 games - after that, where was MJ? Hold on to the ball MJ and he could be great, if not, EC will be productive in the system - Duke excites the city as we wait for gameday - MJ at FB and Duke at RB is nasty, or EC at Rb, Mj at FB, and Duke in the slot AND DC as the wildcat QB- cmon Fish, get creative!! This is Miami Atheletes running **** in 2012
3) If morris isnt spectacular, OL must be; Feliciano is the only one as opposed to last year (BWASH) knew could take snaps - but Im excited about the possibilities of OT although unproven look like they are ready; OG/Center thanks shannon and not being sarcastic ie: Bunche too, not so much SH - Art has one more year with this group and I think they will all be tough, but is that enough?????
4) DL - who will be reliable week in and week out - Smith and Ivory maybe, the Tank, we are thin - after that show me so come on down DL in 2013
5) DE - well suspended for half a year didnt help, and Chick lived up to the hype, no real buzz around any Frosh DE which is to be expected but still disapointing, maybe holliet provides some 3rd down sacks - so thin - Williams could/should come compete, and I think Odonnell and JH get serious playing time as should Briscoe - I think this group becomes the 2011 rookie LBs and how we feel now - little experience but hard hitting football players
6) LB - last year, one proven player in Spence, this year DP - **** Kirby - EJ and Paul are the goods, but still thin - Cookie, Gains show me something, Next year we will know who is durable
7) CB/S - upgrade lol - let the kids play - when KR can make the calls, VT rides the bench, can Mcgee hold onto his job- I think so...Gunter??? find a package with Bush playing the slot reciever and RJ playing the back end in Nickel or Dime - TH, AC, Hope get serious playing time- next year who will we be talking about - 2014???
8) TE - same, show me something - new position in 2013 but I hope we can have a nice surprise, the potential is there in CW and AS

Who are proven? Chick and DP and an unproven D with two senior DBs that no one is excited about and a JUCO DT senior that is way healthier now - and Duke will be there with MJ and the OL and SM - Coach them up coaches!!!!! WIN THE TURN OVER BATTLE AND LINE OF SCRIMMAGE - DUHHH

Wildcard - KR and PR, Special Teams - ACC Championship 2012

Advertisement
seems like I'm one of the only guys that really liked Miller. I don't see a replacement for Lamar on this roster right now. Duke may end up being better but he is a true FR.

lmao at Mike James being better. that is mega homer supreme. as a committee MAYBE we can get the same production but there is no one back there that scares the Defense right now.

I think people forget how many close games we lost last year...how much of that can be attributed to lack of conditioning and strength! If we are genuinely in better shape and the talent is always there, it makes for some improved play.

Talent wise, I think we are in good shape with DT, CB and S. Play should definitely improve! I really doubt we get worse play for QB, WR and RB. I just really believe these guys will step it up!

My opinion.... Look for an 8 or 9 win season. Good improvement overall!!

JHC, lay off the crack pipe, son.

Advertisement
seems like I'm one of the only guys that really liked Miller. I don't see a replacement for Lamar on this roster right now. Duke may end up being better but he is a true FR.

lmao at Mike James being better. that is mega homer supreme. as a committee MAYBE we can get the same production but there is no one back there that scares the Defense right now.

Lamar is a 2nd tier RB. He's on the bubble right now to make the Dolphins 53 man roster. For all the "speed" this dude has, he is just not an instinctive player.
Plus he was a lousy pass blocker and short yardage back.
I keep on referring back to the 2010 rushing unit led by Damien Berry and a Raw RS Freshman Lamar Miller that was a better rushing unit than the 2011 unit.
Damien Berry = Mike James.
2010 RS Freshman Lamar Miller = True Freshman Duke Johnson.
2010 Mike James < 2012 Eduardo Clements.
Plus you have to believe the 2012 OL will be better than last seasons.

Taking all these things as a whole, the 2012 Rushing unit will produce more as a unit than the 2011.

Lamar is a 2nd tier RB. He's on the bubble right now to make the Dolphins 53 man roster. For all the "speed" this dude has, he is just not an instinctive player.
I keep on referring back to the 2010 rushing unit led by Damien Berry and a Raw RS Freshman Lamar Miller that was a better rushing unit than the 2011 unit.

Taking all these things as a whole, the 2012 Rushing unit will produce more as a unit than the 2011.

I think it's a stretch to expect Mike James to display Damien Berry's rushing power. #20 was quite capable of trucking a defender, I just don't see that from RB position this year. He is a much better pass catcher, though, so we should make extensive use of him in the flats and screens.

James is 220+. Berry played around 210-215. Regardless, no one said to expect James to play like Berry did. Just to produce about the same.

Lamar might not make the Dolphins roster??

In 2011 there were 11 players who could bench 225lbs more than 20 times, nobody was benching 225lbs and nobody was benching over 400lbs.

Fast forward to the 2012 team and 41 players are benching 225lbs over 20 times. 11 of those 41 players are benching 225lbs more than 30 times. 3 of those 11 players are benching over 400lbs.

The 2012 team will be a better football team than the 2011 team in all aspects even with true freshmen participating. Nobody that Miami lost from that 6-6 team makes me worry. This 2012 team is about to surprise people. They're about to get after it like we haven't seen in awhile.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back