1999 Hurricanes going 9-4

Apples and oranges. I see what you're trying to do.

We lost to GT and VT, teams that were blown out by DUKE. We lost to FIU for God's sake. We have a coach that literally thinks you can attitude and swag your way to victory.

Two of the teams we lost to were in the national championship game that year and a top ranked PSU.
9-4 end of the day

Advertisement
We beat louisiana tech 42-28 IIRC. that wasnt reason we didnt win title in 2000, it was the washington loss coupled with the flawed bcs computer formula.
42-31, and your incorrect.

Louisiana Tech was a bad 2-6 independent and a prohibitive underdog to #4 Miami. Dorsey has one of the worse games of his career, with 3 INTs and a 51% completion rate. Tech QB Luke McGown passed for over 400 yards and 3 TDs.

The Canes struggled to win this game, a game they should have won by 30.

Many polls used strength of schedule margin of victory as parameters.

Last edited:
Advertisement
lost to #1 PSU, at FSU BY 10, and at VTECH with a rash of injurues
ECU was the terrible loss, ECU was a 9-3 team however that was upbeat playing after the Hurricane and we chocked

I’ll never forget the bomb to Chafie Fields at the end of the game that lost us the PSU game in the OB. Rumph got badly beaten on the play and Ed couldn’t get there in time. It was my first year at UM undergrad and it was a devastating ending to the game. We went 9-4 in 99 because Kenny Kelly simply wasn’t a very good QB. I also did a road trip with my frat bro’s and attended the FSU game that year in Tally. Who knew the following 3 years would be the greatest Cane team ever assembled!

IN
lost to #1 PSU, at FSU BY 10, and at VTECH with a rash of injurues
ECU was the terrible loss, ECU was a 9-3 team however that was upbeat playing after the Hurricane and we chocked

Advertisement
What happened in 00? Then in 01? Hope your not comparing to Mammy this year because the expectations will be high next year.
After losing to FIU, Manny is in the same class as Fat Al and other pi$$ poor coaching. Like he said, it's the "Butch is God' crowd. I can understand the PSU game. PSU hit a lucky pass that their qb doesn't hit 99 times out of a 100, but there was no excuse for blowing that lead against ECU. ECU probably didn't get much time to practice because of Hurricane Floyd.

The Louisiana Tech game in 2000 was the real head-scratcher. Cost us a title.
The 2000 BCS computer formula wasn't factoring head to head match ups in its formula (go figure). We would have overtaken FSU like that. It also took into account margin of victory. When we got a comfortable lead, Butch would pull his starters to give the young guys reps. Bobby Bowden was still gunning it late in the 4th quarter with a 40 point lead. I think he even beat his son like 54-3 or something. Wenkie played until the end of the game.

I’ll never forget the bomb to Chafie Fields at the end of the game that lost us the PSU game in the OB. Rumph got badly beaten on the play and Ed couldn’t get there in time. It was my first year at UM undergrad and it was a devastating ending to the game. We went 9-4 in 99 because Kenny Kelly simply wasn’t a very good QB. I also did a road trip with my frat bro’s and attended the FSU game that year in Tally. Who knew the following 3 years would be the greatest Cane team ever assembled!

IN
Rumph slipped on the Wet field..Ed was completely out of place....Morgan blitzed...hit QB just as he released it....Should have never came to that...James Jackson was shorted atleast 1/2 yard which would've ended the game...today it would've been reviewed and UM awarded a 1st down...

Advertisement
The 2000 BCS computer formula wasn't factoring head to head match ups in its formula (go figure). We would have overtaken FSU like that. It also took into account margin of victory. When we got a comfortable lead, Butch would pull his starters to give the young guys reps. Bobby Bowden was still gunning it late in the 4th quarter with a 40 point lead. I think he even beat his son like 54-3 or something. Wenkie played until the end of the game.

So Bobby Bowden understood the system, as did the fans. Thanks, Butch.

FYI, that score wasn't the result of clearing the bench with a big lead. La Tech did whatever they wanted on offense all day.

Advertisement
We lost to Penn State because Ed Reed screwed up a coverage. FSU was #1. VT was #2. ECU happened because Kenny Kelly couldn't hit the broad side of a Bubba Franks. There's a reason the O exploded when Dorsey took over.

Advertisement
Back