Mark D'Onofrio - WQAM 1/30

CaneBoss

Bossman
I can't link directly to the interview, but its on the right hand side if you follow the below link.

Was en route to a HS (unnamed of course). Touches on some of the generalities of recruiting (what the staff is allowed to do during this last week, if they have a feel for kids down the stretch, selling points of UM, selling a head coach v. family, etc.) and his thoughts on the current team (what they need to do in the offseason, finding a pass rush, coaching hires). He sounded very calm, very confident when speaking of the finishing touches for the class.

http://wqam.com/dj/joe-rose

Advertisement
IMO D'Onofrio should be on a very short leash this year...This defense was ranked 117th in the nation. I know we were young, but there was no excuse for being that bad!

If we just get to middle of the road (around 55-60ish) I think I would be content, not happy but content in thinking that this staff can coach up the D.

IMO D'Onofrio should be on a very short leash this year...This defense was ranked 117th in the nation. I know we were young, but there was no excuse for being that bad!

His biggest defender, and best friend, is the guy in charge. They're on the exact same page on defensive philosophy. There won't be any leash.

Advertisement
If you look at Al Golden as DC in Virgina

His team went from 108th to 18th in 3 years, scoring D went from 27.6 to 17.8

The defense will recruit players for a hybrid D - utilizing 4-3 and 3-4 concepts.
You'll notice we have more 3-4 OLBs now McCord, Terry, Bond, AQM, Thomas maybe.

It should improve drastically in the next 2 years

If you look at Al Golden as DC in Virgina

His team went from 108th to 18th in 3 years, scoring D went from 27.6 to 17.8

The defense will recruit players for a hybrid D - utilizing 4-3 and 3-4 concepts.
You'll notice we have more 3-4 OLBs now McCord, Terry, Bond, AQM, Thomas maybe.

It should improve drastically in the next 2 years

How dare you bring logic to this board!

If we just get to middle of the road (around 55-60ish) I think I would be content, not happy but content in thinking that this staff can coach up the D.

Good point but that should be the minimum, IMO. Hoping for 35-45, at least!!

You guys still don't understand how bad the talent and depth situation was when D and G walked into this cluster****.

You still don't get it.

D'nofrio will look like a fricking genius within 2 years. That's how bad Shannon was.

Wait for it.

Advertisement
The talent was bad but it also was horrible for what Golden and D want to get out of this defense. That's the main thing.

You guys still don't understand how bad the talent and depth situation was when D and G walked into this cluster****.

You still don't get it.

D'nofrio will look like a fricking genius within 2 years. That's how bad Shannon was.

Wait for it.

Agreed.
And if I read one more fcuking idiot proclaim that "he's not going anywhere since his buddy is the HC", really are you that stupid, do you honestly believe that everything AG is building and putting in place is just for sihts and giggles?
Sure let me invest countless hours a day to let it all go to **** so I can protect my buddy. SMFH.

The talent was bad but it also was horrible for what Golden and D want to get out of this defense. That's the main thing.

It definitely felt like 2012 was a throwaway season, from their point of view. I don't mean that in a bad way, despite the results--- just that they were intent on teaching and implementing the concepts they intend to run over the long haul, regardless of what the outcome was. Laying the groundwork for the future and all that, hoping these dudes grow into the scheme envisioned eventually.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back