Coach Fisch on Duke Johnson:

Wish you guys would put some videos of him up. Sounds like he is talented. Hope is he good.

:confused:

Advertisement
Lamar Miller weighed 210lbs and he ran like a scared 160lb scatback. ****, that little kid Dexter McCluster or whatever his name was a 170lb shrimp and he was a ***king stud in the freaking SEC.

A college multipurpose back like Duke is just fine at 185lbs. People called Portis undersized, and he technically was (probably ran at 195-200lb in college), but that kid was a workhorse - i still remember him carrying us against BC and VT, the dude carried the ball over 70 times combined in those two back to back games.

It's unfair to compare him to backs in Oregon's wide-open spread offense.

I think we are setting some very unrealistic expectations of a true freshman RB that has yet to spend a minute in our weight training program/regimen. His body composition can and needs to improve.

I hope he is everything as advertised, but let's not pin next season on Duke's performance.

I don't think it's unfair at all to compare him to Oregon's backs, but completely the opposite and think it's unfair to compare him to backs like Lattimore or other power runners. He may be that guy eventually, but not this year. Golden and Fisch are smart guys and while I'm sure he will run the ball, I think you'll see him much more of him catching the ball in space and being able to use his athleticism and for that reason I think it makes more sense to compare him to Oregon's backs who end up being isolated against defenders quite a bit

Advertisement
Lamar Miller weighed 210lbs and he ran like a scared 160lb scatback. ****, that little kid Dexter McCluster or whatever his name was a 170lb shrimp and he was a ***king stud in the freaking SEC.

A college multipurpose back like Duke is just fine at 185lbs. People called Portis undersized, and he technically was (probably ran at 195-200lb in college), but that kid was a workhorse - i still remember him carrying us against BC and VT, the dude carried the ball over 70 times combined in those two back to back games.

Boston College and VTech weren't back to back, played Cuse and Washington in between.

[]_[]Fan2010;518365 said:

I think we are setting some very unrealistic expectations of a true freshman RB that has yet to spend a minute in our weight training program/regimen. His body composition can and needs to improve.

I hope he is everything as advertised, but let's not pin next season on Duke's performance.

I don't think it's unfair at all to compare him to Oregon's backs, but completely the opposite and think it's unfair to compare him to backs like Lattimore or other power runners. He may be that guy eventually, but not this year. Golden and Fisch are smart guys and while I'm sure he will run the ball, I think you'll see him much more of him catching the ball in space and being able to use his athleticism and for that reason I think it makes more sense to compare him to Oregon's backs who end up being isolated against defenders quite a bit

I'm not comparing him to Lattimore or Adrian Petersen. My point is that he's a true freshman who's yet to spend a day in the weight room. And the expectations that some people have of Duke are unrealistic right now. Some posters are pinning next year on Duke's shoulders. That's unfair. I'd be happy if he gives us 400-600 on the ground, maybe 150 through the air, and helps on special teams.

Only reason I optimistic about Duke THIS season is because we have zero play making ability at RB.

We have two solid backs but thats it. Duke will get some chances even if he isnt quite ready.

Advertisement
[]_[]Fan2010;518365 said:

I'm not comparing him to Lattimore or Adrian Petersen. My point is that he's a true freshman who's yet to spend a day in the weight room. And the expectations that some people have of Duke are unrealistic right now. Some posters are pinning next year on Duke's shoulders. That's unfair. I'd be happy if he gives us 400-600 on the ground, maybe 150 through the air, and helps on special teams.

Agree with you mostly. Personally, I just ignore the people pinning crazy expectations on him. I think it's quite possible he has more than 150 through the air as I really believe that with his catching and ability in the open field that multiple plays will be designed to put him in these situations. Couple this with us not really having an outstanding QB and these easy throws to such a dynamic player are bound to happen.

The early reviews:

### Teammates’ eyebrows were raised when running back Duke Johnson and cornerback Tracy Howard, both five-star recruits, arrived on UM’s campus a week ago. Maurice Hagens saw enough in one week to call Johnson “amazing.”
“Wow,” Eduardo Clements said of Johnson. “Last week, in 7-on-7s, he caught a pass, made a move, ran for a touchdown, and I’m like, ‘****.’ And Tracy is everything everyone makes him out to be – the footwork, breaking on the ball.” Several Hurricanes like what they have seen of receivers Malcolm Lewis and Robert Lockhart.

Advertisement

Boston College and VTech weren't back to back, played Cuse and Washington in between.

More proof hawaaii cane doesn't know what he's talking about.

duke looked small and was getting blasted in the UA game

He got hit once. He made plays when he got a chance. Jonathan Gray the all-world back from Texas actually had to leave the game with an injury. Gray was supposed to be the workhorse back.

Advertisement
Duke will be just fine. I understand he hasn't been nominated for the Heisman yet, but June will be here before we know it.

James has too much pride, determination, and strength to NOT pull his freight.

I'm not worried about our backfield - I'm more worried about the line that's supposed to be opening some lanes and pass blocking.

The early reviews:

### Teammates’ eyebrows were raised when running back Duke Johnson and cornerback Tracy Howard, both five-star recruits, arrived on UM’s campus a week ago. Maurice Hagens saw enough in one week to call Johnson “amazing.”
“Wow,” Eduardo Clements said of Johnson. “Last week, in 7-on-7s, he caught a pass, made a move, ran for a touchdown, and I’m like, ‘****.’ And Tracy is everything everyone makes him out to be – the footwork, breaking on the ball.” Several Hurricanes like what they have seen of receivers Malcolm Lewis and Robert Lockhart.

:fistbump:

Advertisement
Back