I can confirm Miami is working hard on transfers right now..

Advertisement
I think if Mitchell comes here its to start at the 4. He probably also splits minutes at the 5 with Kidd. I'm assuming he would also want the green light to shoot 3s kinda how Omier did. I think the battle becomes between Cleveland and Johnson as to who starts at the 3, and I can see Cleveland buying into being a strong 6th man. I personally think a lineup of Blackman, Bethea, Johnson, Mitchell, Kidd at the end of the season is a tourney team. Pack and Cleveland should come off the bench in my opinion but they will probably both end up starting. That 7 though as a rotation is pretty solid and you can probably assume someone else will crack the rotation. Bringing in size and athleticism at this stage is a must imo, and Mitchell or Lubin seem like good guys who could bring that. Bring them in and figure it out, but it's really on the coaching staff to get everyone to buy into team basketball because the draft buzz definitely derailed all of our starters last season.

The Office Pizza GIF by Danny Chang

Advertisement
This is getting a lot of traction in the media (that we got much less via portal than we lost.) Yet, the commentary here seems to suggest we are standing pretty well so far. Is this wishful thinking, or are we really better off than the team that lost 11 or 12 in a row to close out a pitiful season?

1714849508831.png

Advertisement
This is getting a lot of traction in the media (that we got much less via portal than we lost.) Yet, the commentary here seems to suggest we are standing pretty well so far. Is this wishful thinking, or are we really better off than the team that lost 11 or 12 in a row to close out a pitiful season?

View attachment 288893

At this point all we know is that another year like this, Coach L might ride off into the sunset. I have never seen him as resigned on the sidelines as the second half of last season...

Advertisement

View attachment 288893

I mean on paper we have definitely lost more than we have gained, Norchad is an all-conference player and Wooga if nothing else has a lot of talent. Even if we get Mitchell, losing those two and Bensley definitely puts us in net loser category, and if we don't get Mitchell we are way in net loser category. That definitely doesn't necessarily mean we will be worse than last year though given that last year's team had a lot of problems that weren't reflective of the talent level of the team... in fact it is hard to imagine a greater underperformance than last year.

Overall if we can grab Mitchell, and can get quality minutes out of a bench guard like Schwartz or Djobet I think we at least have tourney potential with the transfer additions and Bethea, but on paper we definitely look like losers in the process.

View attachment 288893
We’ve got some pieces to be a top half ACC team but without a few more quality players this team is fringe tourney team at best.

I mean on paper we have definitely lost more than we have gained, Norchad is an all-conference player and Wooga if nothing else has a lot of talent. Even if we get Mitchell, losing those two and Bensley definitely puts us in net loser category, and if we don't get Mitchell we are way in net loser category. That definitely doesn't necessarily mean we will be worse than last year though given that last year's team had a lot of problems that weren't reflective of the talent level of the team... in fact it is hard to imagine a greater underperformance than last year.

Overall if we can grab Mitchell, and can get quality minutes out of a bench guard like Schwartz or Djobet I think we at least have tourney potential with the transfer additions and Bethea, but on paper we definitely look like losers in the process.
What a buzzkill comung off 2 deep tourney runs. One of worst seaons in Miami basketball in the last 30 years, and now we dont think we are net positive portal.

Advertisement
What a buzzkill comung off 2 deep tourney runs. One of worst seaons in Miami basketball in the last 30 years, and now we dont think we are net positive portal.
Our roster is completely overhauled year over year. National writers like Jon Rothstein and others are pretty bigfans of what we've done. Joe Lunardi (who historically has not been very pro-Miami in his bracket prognostications) had us as a 5 seed in a projection he put out a couple of weeks ago.

Frankly, I have no idea who the CBS writers who put the piece together are but they are putting a lot of weight in the 3 players we've lost but fail to mention the two important pieces that are returning, the 3 impact portal transfers that we've landed or the freshman - like Bethea - coming in. I'll reserve judgement on next year until we've filled the roster out.

Losing Omier and Wooga certainly hurt as they were great pieces but to call us portal losers is silly. We've addressed needs.

Got a highlight efficient big man to address size issues.

Got a go-to scorer that can handle the rock.

And got a forward that has excellent range.

And were obviously not done yet.

Bart Torvik has us a top ~25 team and Lunardi as a 6 seed.

Kidd is a downgrade from Omier, but Blackmon is similar to Wooga and Johnson is better than Joseph. Seems about neutral. The rest of the portal losses were non-contributors.

Advertisement
Back