How many NFL Draft picks should we be producing?

I dont know why this draft was more embarrassing the recent ones. Not like we have had a crazy run of great drafts recently. And its not like we expected our guys to be Day 1 picks. But ****..when I checked the ticker and saw that we still had all of our guys except Kam still waiting going into the 7th round..I was in shock.

You can tell Mario is not only going after "bodies" in the portal this go around..but guys with legit potential to be NFL picks. I am not seeing any Terry Roberts or Anthony Campbell types in this Spring transfer coup. I think he also knows that was very embarrassing for the program and we have to fix that asap. Have to bring in premier talent and get rid of guys that are not meeting the mark. Trevonte Citizen was an unfortunate case but he was damaged goods. And Henry Parrish just isnt it. Bring in a stud like Damian Martinez and lets up the ante here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
First #7….then draft picks. My preference.

Go Canes!
#7 what?
90S Inspect GIF

One of our biggest issues continues to be players leaving early to be 7th round or udfa. You would think NIL would help this but then look what happened this year.

I’d love to see a study on how many underclassmen leave school early to be 5th round or worse picks at other schools.

Advertisement
One thing to watch going forward- do the numbers change with the Portal? I can see a scenario where the NFL numbers remain steady but the makeup becomes different (a Portal NFL kid counts the same as a HS kid). For this study, I didn't include transfers.
Metrics will just have to be adjusted:

1. How many HS athletes did program recruit and retain through to draft (Rd 1-2)? [Elite will score high]

2. How many HS athletes did program recruit and retain through to draft (Rd 3+)? [Elite will score high]

3. How many TP athletes did program recruit and retain through to draft (Rd 1-2)? [Elite will score high]

4. How many TP athletes did program recruit and retain through to draft (Rd 1-2)? [Elite will score high]

5. How many HS athletes did program recruit and lose to transfer to another program and then were drafted (Rd 1-2)? [Elite will score low-ish]

6. How many HS athletes did program recruit and lose to transfer to another program and then were drafted (Rd 3+)? [Elite will score low-mid]

7. How many TP athletes did program recruit and lose to transfer to another program and then were drafted (Rd 1-2)? [Elite will score low-ish]

8. How many TP athletes did program recruit and lose to transfer to another program and then were drafted (Rd 3+)? [Elite will score low-mid]

I believe these data sets would serve as a very powerful baseline for a program's "health and direction", even across coaching changes. Speakes to a much larger atmospheric surrounding the building in general.

This is gross, especially considering the amount of NFL guys that this region/state produces.

This **** is over with though, fellas. I believe it's about to change. Although we're currently lacking in spots like RB and WR, there's a lot more NFL guys on this current roster than we've had in the recent past.
That's one thing I definitely believe Mario can do.

The level of talent that the Cane's have been producing the last 10 years of so has been pretty embarrassing. The last Canes team we can say was truly loaded was the 2013 team, that team produced 18 future NFL players who were either starters or key contributers. Talent wise it our best roster post early 2000s canes.

Since that team you only have 5 or 6 non transfer guys who ended up making a real impact in the NFL

Jaelan Phillips yes he was a transfer but the U developed him, the kid was sub 200lbs when he arrived at the U after retiring from football.

David Njoku
Michael Jackson
Will Mallory
Braxton Berrios
Brevin Jordan
Gregory Rousseau

Advertisement
The goal is to play for the National Titles. The top teams are getting 10-15 Players Drafted.

We are #24 on this list, which is probably slightly better than our performance because a lot of our players are drafted lower thus lower impact. Mario is a great recruiter, we are recruiting totally different body types and the school is committed to getting us back. I expect Miami to be in the Top 5 of players drafted in the next year or two and painting that as long as Mario is around.

Advertisement
The draft is all about rounds 1-3.

If you're producing players that get drafted within the first 3 rounds annually, then you're likely going to be a winning program.

Having a bunch of 5-7th rounders is nothing to brag about, pretty much every program can do that.

Last edited:
What happens when we find the team's average recruit ranking, and compare that to where we finish the season ranked? How about when we compare the team's average recruit ranking to the draft? I think we will find Miami's staff aren't cutting it across the board.

Spent some time around Eli Drinkwitz before I stopped pursuing jobs in college football. The "magic number" when looking at his own roster and scouting other teams was 25 draft picks. Are there 25 guys on the roster currently that will get drafted in the future? Doesn't mean they're all at that level in that year as some are freshman, some are redshirting, some may currently be injured, some will transfer in and others will transfer out, etc. Guess that's in line working out to 5-6 per year.

25 draft picks total and then at least 12 guys (half of your starters including punter and kicker) that will either be drafted or sign somewhere as an UDFA in the next draft. For reference, Miami had 4 draft picks and then 6 guys that signed UDFA deals so we didn't meet that measure. Doubt there were 25 future draft picks on our 2023 roster either. The 12 measure basically points to quality veteran depth. The 25 total points to overall talent on your team.

Good point. I am not sure if we have 25 at this point. I think we're pretty close but reality says we're closer to 20 than 25.

Good point. I am not sure if we have 25 at this point. I think we're pretty close but reality says we're closer to 20 than 25.
I think the number has increased from 25 in todays landscape. Teams can keep all of their starters and then go to the portal and add 5+ 1 year rentals that are draft eligible and projected draft picks every given year. I would say 30 is now the expectation.

I’d probably put our number around 22-24 right now after quickly going over the roster. Of course that doesn’t count guys like Samson, Josh Horton, and Bobby Washington who have all of the tools but doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen right now.

Advertisement
Back