How many NFL Draft picks should we be producing?

View as article
I think the number has increased from 25 in todays landscape. Teams can keep all of their starters and then go to the portal and add 5+ 1 year rentals that are draft eligible and projected draft picks every given year. I would say 30 is now the expectation.

I’d probably put our number around 22-24 right now after quickly going over the roster. Of course that doesn’t count guys like Samson, Josh Horton, and Bobby Washington who have all of the tools but doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen right now.

I came to the same conclusion (22-24 probably the right number) but like you said, there are a lot of young kids who have some real potential but are not yet in that category.

Advertisement
I think the number has increased from 25 in todays landscape. Teams can keep all of their starters and then go to the portal and add 5+ 1 year rentals that are draft eligible and projected draft picks every given year. I would say 30 is now the expectation.

I’d probably put our number around 22-24 right now after quickly going over the roster. Of course that doesn’t count guys like Samson, Josh Horton, and Bobby Washington who have all of the tools but doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen right now.
Not counting freshmans or players that haven't played too much, I'm at 13.

Cam Ward
Damien Martinez
Xavier Restrepo
Sam Brown
Jalen Rivers
Francis Mauigoa
Anez Cooper
Reuben Bain
Akheem Mesidor
CJ Clark
Simeon Barrow
Kiko Mauigoa
Mishael Powell

Players like Marley Cook, Jacolby George, Elijah Alston, Daryl Porter, Jaylin Alderman look like fringe NFL types for now.

Then you have players like Elijah Arroyo with 11 career catches going into his RSJR year. Tough to project him, but obviously we know the talent is there. I just wouldn't put him in the NFL Draft bucket yet.

Tons of young players not accounted for here, but you get the idea. Even players like Mesidor, with his injury history is no sure thing and the variance for many of those players may be wide but have some pre-season buzz and have something behind them that support a draft pick (example, Sam Brown's athletic profile + production with a nice season could be a late Day 2 pick or somewhere on Day 3 or maybe not at all. Depends on his season.)

Which of the non-Bain/Mauigoa sophomores do you see on a list like this? Any other players I'd be missing that are not currently a true freshman or unseen second year players?

Perhaps I'm conservative, but I don't think Manny left Mario much at all from a talent perspective. Even Manny's 5-star players were not that great here. So, looking at my list and seeing 8 names as transfers (as opposed to 5 Miami recruited out of HS)...throw in another 4 to 1 split on those fringe names.

Hard times.

Not counting freshmans or players that haven't played too much, I'm at 13.

Cam Ward
Damien Martinez
Xavier Restrepo
Sam Brown
Jalen Rivers
Francis Mauigoa
Anez Cooper
Reuben Bain
Akheem Mesidor
CJ Clark
Simeon Barrow
Kiko Mauigoa
Mishael Powell

Players like Marley Cook, Jacolby George, Elijah Alston, Daryl Porter, Jaylin Alderman look like fringe NFL types for now.

Then you have players like Elijah Arroyo with 11 career catches going into his RSJR year. Tough to project him, but obviously we know the talent is there. I just wouldn't put him in the NFL Draft bucket yet.

Tons of young players not accounted for here, but you get the idea. Even players like Mesidor, with his injury history is no sure thing and the variance for many of those players may be wide but have some pre-season buzz and have something behind them that support a draft pick (example, Sam Brown's athletic profile + production with a nice season could be a late Day 2 pick or somewhere on Day 3 or maybe not at all. Depends on his season.)

Which of the non-Bain/Mauigoa sophomores do you see on a list like this? Any other players I'd be missing that are not currently a true freshman or unseen second year players?

Perhaps I'm conservative, but I don't think Manny left Mario much at all from a talent perspective. Even Manny's 5-star players were not that great here. So, looking at my list and seeing 8 names as transfers (as opposed to 5 Miami recruited out of HS)...throw in another 4 to 1 split on those fringe names.

Hard times.
I had the same list plus Arroyo and I think George, Porter, Damari Brown, and Alston are draft picks in the future.

Then I projected Trader, Riley Williams, Markel Bell, Zaquan, and I forget who else I had in that list

Advertisement
I feel pro teams are biased towards championship teams. Maybe people get drafted with benefit of the doubt because of the team winning.

How many of those guys get a 2nd contract? This tells the true NFL players.

Does a team with 8 "NFLers" have 8 drafted if the QB is a gimp and they go 6-6?

Advertisement
Back