Trenches MIA VS. FLA

hassan

Recruit
I feel FLA has to try to get to the QB to win the game. The Canes have the luxury of being able to win the game via the Run or the Pass. FLA has some size but they don't have elite pass rushers all over the DL. Their OL is huge but they will be tested all game with the Canes able to rotate. This game is played in the "Swamp" in August. It is going to be hot. If the Canes can make this a track meet it starts to come down to depth. I don't think that FLA is a team built to be in a shoot-out or play well from behind. If we get up 14 points early you might see players start to quit. Physically it is going to be an emotional and very hot game. Depth will matter, FLA has highly ranked CBs that were giving up a lot of yards last year. If Miami can get up early and lean on the run game to pound the Gators. On defense, the Canes need to get to the QB to protect our secondary and get their QB off schedule.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This will be a high-emotion rivalry game.

I think the keys to this game:

1. Cam Ward extending plays/running. He will carry the team all year.

2. No big mistakes on defense like blown coverage. Just play correctly. No freelancing.

3. No ******* personal fouls. These penalties will kill drives and literally take points off the board. Our lack of discipline under Mario combined with his gameday ineptitude will lose us this game. I wish these kids knew how to work the refs.

This will be a high-emotion rivalry game.

I think the keys to this game:

1. Cam Ward extending plays/running. He will carry the team all year.

2. No big mistakes on defense like blown coverage. Just play correctly. No freelancing.

3. No ******* personal fouls. These penalties will kill drives and literally take points off the board. Our lack of discipline under Mario combined with his gameday ineptitude will lose us this game. I wish these kids knew how to work the refs.
Its crazy how mario grind tough guy image makes people think he has high discipline teams, I have seen that mentioned but numbers dont show that at all..

I expect it to come down to whose defense, especially the corners play with more discipline. How many times have we seen our DBs bite on the ball and totally miss judge it. Or how many times have our DBs missed easy tackles for the other team to take it to the house. Defense will determine this game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do NOT get up by two scores and then revert to "protecting the lead" ... that is how we lose. Pedal to the metal .... 60 minutes. Score as many points as possible ... both passing and running ... keep mixing it up. Be ready to go deep when they load the box.

Advertisement
I feel FLA has to try to get to the QB to win the game. The Canes have the luxyry of being able to win the game via the Run or the Pass. FLA has some size but they don't have elite pass rushers all over the DL. Their OL is huge but they will be tested all game with the Canes able to rotate. This game is played in the "Swamp" in August. It is going to be hot. If the Canes can make this a track meet it starts to come down to depth. I don't think that FLA is a team built to be in a shoot-out or play well from behind. If we get up 14 points early you might see players start to quit. Physically it is going to be an emotional and very hot game. Depth will matter, FLA has highly ranked CBs that were giving up a lot of yards last year. If Miami can get up early and lean on the run game to pound the Gators. On defense, the Canes need to get to the QB to protect our secondary and get their QB off schedule.
Florida is carrying an extremely high number of linemen - 18 at last count.

What would Jimmy Johnson or Joaquin say pregame?
Ed Reed at halftime?
KW2 postgame?

Body will be ready.
Let’s go!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
They had the literal worst defense in the SEC last year in YPP allowed by a mile and lost their best lineman. Did they add anyone noteworthy? I can’t imagine Miami won’t completely control the LOS when they’re on offense. They averaged giving up almost 5 yards a carry on the season. That’s absolutely abysmal.
Just EDGE George Gumbs from Northern Illinois & DT Joey Slackman from Penn.

They also signed 4 DT's in their 24 class including LJ McCray who they're expecting to be an early contributor.

But the majority of their Portal adds were OL & DB's.

I will say, the WR group will be overlooked & underestimated going into 8/31, but they have more speed than most of our fans realize.

However, the game for me will come down to who starts. If they start Mertz, they lose handily. Lagway is really the only shot they have at winning because of the added element of his mobility & his arm talent. But if they trot Captain checkdown out there, there's no way they can keep up with our Offensive firepower.

The only way we lose, is if we start our slow CB's & if we try to play bully ball & go with a run heavy attack. I know that’s blasphemous to say, but the best way to win this game will be to spread'em out & strike quick through the air, similar to the TAMU game. If we're stupid enough to get in a mud-fight with them, well we deserve what comes with that.

We should take a page out of what LSU did vs them last year, when UF gave up 700yds...

I’ve never heard Mario speak about a QB before like he is about Ward. I think the direction all year to Dawson will be “I want the ball in that kid’s hands as much as possible”. Yeah, we’re gonna be physical, of course. But I just don’t see them turning and handing the ball off on straight handoffs 35 times a game. Ward should be making a decision on almost every snap.

Advertisement
Just EDGE George Gumbs from Northern Illinois & DT Joey Slackman from Penn.

They also signed 4 DT's in their 24 class including LJ McCray who they're expecting to be an early contributor.

But the majority of their Portal adds were OL & DB's.

I will say, the WR group will be overlooked & underestimated going into 8/31, but they have more speed than most of our fans realize.

However, the game for me will come down to who starts. If they start Mertz, they lose handily. Lagway is really the only shot they have at winning because of the added element of his mobility & his arm talent. But if they trot Captain checkdown out there, there's no way they can keep up with our Offensive firepower.

The only way we lose, is if we start our slow CB's & if we try to play bully ball & go with a run heavy attack. I know that’s blasphemous to say, but the best way to win this game will be to spread'em out & strike quick through the air, similar to the TAMU game. If we're stupid enough to get in a mud-fight with them, well we deserve what comes with that.

We should take a page out of what LSU did vs them last year, when UF gave up 700yds...

You really think there’s more than a 1% chance he actually starts DJ Game 1? That would be absolutely wild. I didn’t even consider it a possibility, honestly.

You really think there’s more than a 1% chance he actually starts DJ Game 1? That would be absolutely wild. I didn’t even consider it a possibility, honestly.
Idk, if I was Billy I would, but obviously I'm not.

With Mertz, your Offense has a very low ceiling & there's just a lot of things he can't do & a lot of plays he can't make. When your QB is limited it effects the entire team & makes it a nearly impossible hurdle to overcome. Lagway has the talent & the upside to make them a viable Offense, he also actually fits a lot better in Napier's scheme than Mertz.

This ain’t 20 years ago, TF QB's have been starting & having success for quite some time now, it's not out of the cards. But, if Billy wants to go 5-7/6-6 again, then yeah keep Mertz in there, ****, I sure as **** will be happy to see him on 8/31 lol

Advertisement
Back