You're a real OG Miami hoops fan if you remember seeing Mike Noblet play...

Advertisement
Cool article. I never realized I was there at the same time as her 1984-1988. I remember all of that. I was just commenting on watching Presto Brown and Burns in the Knight Center on the Coach L appreciation thread. What a weird place to play basketball.

Just imagine if you went back in time to 2004 and said that Miami would be more successful in Basketball in the ACC than in Football. They would have locked you up in a rubber room.

Oh I was there watching Schneck and Nobs ride the bench, though Nobs did get some burn due to injuries at one point.

I remember. I was sitting behind you guys in the Knight Center. A handful of my fraternity brothers and I would attend the games and wear our green fraternity jerseys.

Advertisement
Simpler times, zero expectations initially but fun as ****

Well, I expected Tito to stay longer. And Joel Warren to shoot more frequently, with that sweet stroke.

But other than that...Kevin PREST-o! Dennis Burrrrrrrrns! Eric BROWN!

And which Tim wore the goggles, Dawson or Harvey?

Guys played HARD back then.

Can't say I remember Mike Noblet. I do however remember Dennis Burns, Eric Brown, Kevin Presto, Joe Wylie, Tito Horford, Jake Morton, Jerome "Icewater" Scott and a few others. Some of these names bring back a lot of great memories for me growing up watching Bill Foster do his thing on the sidelines of the James L Knight Center. I have to admit though up until Miami decided to resurrect the program, I was a hardcore Georgetown Hoya fan.

Last edited:
I saw Constantin Popa on campus once. I'm 6' and I've still never seen a taller human being.

Advertisement
Can't say I remember Mike Noblet. I do however remember Dennis Burns, Eric Brown, Kevin Presto, Joe Wylie, Tito Horford, Jake Morton, Jerome "Icewater" Scott and a few others. Some of these names bring back a lot of great memories for me growing up watching Bill Foster do his thing on the sidelines of the James L Knight Center. I have to admit though up until Miami decided to resurrect the program, I was a hardcore Georgetown Hoya fan.

Hard to forget Mike, he was just a lanky guy from the end of the bench, but a semi-fan-favorite. When he played, we were either far ahead, far behind, or in foul trouble...

1649432765434.webp

I saw Constantin Popa on campus once. I'm 6' and I've still never seen a taller human being.

I remember being at a party at the Red Roofs (a year before I moved in there myself), and when Popa came in, he had to keep his head tilted so he wouldn't hit the ceiling.

I mean, after a while, stuff like that has to get claustrophobic. That, and ceiling fans are an existential crisis.

When I had a work-study job at UM Housing, we sometimes had to swap out furniture in the apartments and dorms. The football and basketball players had extra-long beds that nobody else on campus got, so we always had to check our work-orders to see where we were going and whether they needed the longer beds. It made sense.

Had to swap out a loooooot of broken furniture for Building 22.

Advertisement
I had a birthday (maybe 8?) at the Knight Center for a UM-DePaul game.
I think I may have been at that game myself. I remember DePaul's backcourt had Strickland and future Heat player Kevin Edwards giving us the business. But it was their big (forgot his name) who absolutely destroyed Tito Horford. We lost like by 20, but it was an entertaining game nonetheless. Not completely full, but the crowd was crunk. Don't recall why but do remember it being a big game for us.

I think I may have been at that game myself. I remember DePaul's backcourt had Strickland and future Heat player Kevin Edwards giving us the business. But it was their big (forgot his name) who absolutely destroyed Tito Horford. We lost like by 20, but it was an entertaining game nonetheless. Not completely full, but the crowd was crunk. Don't recall why but do remember it being a big game for us.

Absolutely, that DePaul game was big for us. "Name" school, NBA-draft-quality players, and not a ton of other "name" schools on our schedule (Duke, Gaytors, SemenHoles notwithstanding).

NBC national broadcast game, Depaul waas top 20 and Tito had media buzz

Advertisement
I remember being at a party at the Red Roofs (a year before I moved in there myself), and when Popa came in, he had to keep his head tilted so he wouldn't hit the ceiling.

I mean, after a while, stuff like that has to get claustrophobic. That, and ceiling fans are an existential crisis.

When I had a work-study job at UM Housing, we sometimes had to swap out furniture in the apartments and dorms. The football and basketball players had extra-long beds that nobody else on campus got, so we always had to check our work-orders to see where we were going and whether they needed the longer beds. It made sense.

Had to swap out a loooooot of broken furniture for Building 22.
Building 22 in the house! 1977-81.

Advertisement
Back