WSU offense vs UM offense with Ward

obcanes

Redshirt Freshman
How does our offense with Dawson and personnel compare to WSU OC and personnel?

Our receivers comparable in skill set? I realize our OL is better but what about scheme and skill positions.

I know Cam's passing numbers but I'm looking more for the whole system. Will they translate?

Advertisement
We will use more TE and will probably run 50/50.
WSU had poor OL and no running game. We will be much more balanced than them.

Actually very underrated wr group he had

-Josh kelly was their wr1 and best player besides cam imo he is similar to jacolby. Thats why i think he has a big year
-Kyle Williams is good, about the same level of production as sam brown. I think sam is better tho
-Lincoln victor was a dynamic player for them. He’s more explosive than X but i think X is way more complete as a WR

From what i seen i think that OC has more layers than dawson in the pass game..But its a similar air raid system, there’s was super high tempo tho.

Im not one of the people that think tvd held Dawson back but cam will make a play out of nothing instead of making a bad playcall a disaster like tvd did mid season. So thats a luxury that oc had that dawson didn’t, cam will make a play out of nothing

They didn’t have anyone close to martinez at rb or anyone like arroyo even tho he still has to prove himself but just that prototype TE they didn’t have, our oline is much better talent wise and just coached way better with picking up pressure, covering stunts. Also think our defense will hold their own better than there’s taking some pressure off cam.

We’re better, talent wise, across the board. Ward had the most carries on their team last year. He won’t be relied on to run nearly as much here. They used a lot more 10 personnel and were a bit more “wide open” than we are but he carried that whole offense.

Ben Arbuckle was the OC at Wazzou last year, and he specializes in a very short passing game. He's a Zach Kittley guy, working with him at Houston Baptist, and then Kittley brought him to Western Kentucky in 2021 as an analyst. When Kittley took the Texas Tech OC job in 2022, Arbuckle was promoted, and then took the OC job at WSU for 2023.

Kittley and Arbuckle run air raid concepts somewhat in the mold of Mike Leach....short passing as an extension of the run game. Bailey Zappe, in 2021 coached by Kittley and Arbuckle, led the country in passing attempts by a wide margin, but only averaged 8.7 YPA. High percentage, short passing game, in high volume.

In 2022, with Arbuckle calling plays, Austin Reed was 3rd in the country in passing attempts per game. But only 7.9 YPA. Same story.

And then last year with Ward, he was 3rd in the country again in passing attempts, but only 7.7 YPA, which is 44th nationally despite ranking 21st in completion percentage. So he's completing a high number of passes, but with still a low YPA, meaning your average depth of target is very low. See a pattern?

You will see a MUCH more balanced attack with Ward this year here.

Wazzou ran the ball 342 times, and threw it 510 times. And that's only actual passes, that doesn't account for called pass plays that either ended up in scrambles or sacks, of which there were many.

Miami in 2023 ran the ball 440 times and threw it 436 times. I do expect to see a little heavier passing attack this season, but we're going to run the ball MUCH more than Wazzou did and we're going to throw the ball downfield MUCH more than Wazzou did.

Cam Ward should legitimately have a monster season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back