Why do teams keep stacking the box

Advertisement
Gone the same way in the NFL, at least until this year. Just stop the run at all costs and live and die by the pass. At least it makes them one dimensional. Even if that dimension is really good.

Ward is averaging 11 ypa. A first down every try. Those are crazy stats. There's no reason to try to establish the run. Just keep throwing, scoring, and having the D get a few stops.

Then once up by 21+, the D can pin their ears back and the O can bleed the clock with the run.

Seems to be the formula for they year.

Advertisement
i was wondering the same thing. really weird. at some point a team is going to drop 8 all day and we're going to need to lean on the run game.

Because it's Mario.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Film GIF by Arrow Video

Advertisement
ACC teams will probably play us softer and start playing two-high shell like NFL teams play Mahomes.

They'll want to minimize the number of possessions we have, and play bend but don't break defense forcing us to kick FGs. Realistically, that's the only way a team is beating us with Cam Ward as QB1.

ACC teams will probably play us softer and start playing two-high shell like NFL teams play Mahomes.

They'll want to minimize the number of possessions we have, and play bend but don't break defense forcing us to kick FGs. Realistically, that's the only way a team is beating us with Cam Ward as QB1.
And I’m not sure that will work.

if any team drops 8 on early downs against us we will run for 400 yards and hold the ball for 40min+
i hope so! but passing is the more efficient play and stopping the pass should be priority for defenses. you're seeing it in the nfl- teams aren't really bothering with single-high any more not just because they want to stop the pass, but because they're *willing* to give some ground on the run, because it simply nets you fewer yards on average. i'm very surprised no team has taken that approach with us yet.

Advertisement
I think they are strategically doing it on early downs, we kinda tip them when we’re running it

Advertisement
Our screen game is too good to play shell unless you have fast LBers and big physical DBs.
There probably isnt 2 linebackers in the country that can run with Chris Johnson so good luck.

Sh*t Cam under threw a lay up td tonight...if u wanna play shell he will hit Fletcher, CJ, and Martinez in the flat and they will get 10 a pop and Cam is cool with that...the'l break a tackle or 2 and then your still f*cked lol

Advertisement
Back