Why Are We Doing Well?

arcane

Sophomore
Despite whatever shortcomings people like to complain about, we are 20-4 and 9-3. We must be doing some things well. What are we doing well, and who deserves the credit?

Advertisement
Coach L, Veteran starters with good leadership skills, deep bench... simple. Biggest thing was Angel started making better decisions with the basketball. There was a time in the middle of the season when he would dribble around till the shot clock got low and then chucked up ill-advised 3's. Or he would dribble around till the shot clock got low and pass to someone who was forced to shoot a bad 3 because the shot clock was about to expire. Now Angel is driving to the rim and getting better shots as well as distributing the ball better and taking less ill-advised and ill-timed 3's. Newton has become a better scorer as well. Only thing that concerns me is front court depth. Tonye is a beast and need to keep playing heavy minutes (I think he needs more touches in the post as well). The only reason the FSU game was close was because Tonye got in foul trouble early. If he had played his normal minutes we would have blown FSU out.

We've played better defense the past month and a half, we are a veteran team with solid guard play, and we shoot pretty well.

Another key is we are 11th nationally in free throw percentage, and tied for 17th nationally in fewest fouls. Also 21st in fewest turnovers per game, and 14th in fewest total turnovers commmited all season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In all seriousness I think it is 2 things; Defense and Angel becoming a PG not a shooter.

If you notice in our last 8 games the only team to score above 70 is NC St. and we lost.

If you will also notice Angel is avg something like 6-7 assist a game over that same 8 game stretch.

In all seriousness I think it is 2 things; Defense and Angel becoming a PG not a shooter.

If you notice in our last 8 games the only team to score above 70 is NC St. and we lost.

If you will also notice Angel is avg something like 6-7 assist a game over that same 8 game stretch.

Very true.

Someone posted on Twitter this morning that every National Champ since 2002, except UConn '13-'14 (they were 39th in def), was top 30 in adj. offensive and defensive efficiency.

Miami is 1 of 8 teams in the country that fit that profile as of now, along with Villanova, UVa, Mich St, Kansas, Iowa, West Virginia, and Xavier.

Advertisement
We have great coaching and very good players. We have at least 5 guys who can create their own shot on offense where most teams only have a couple. We also play great defense. Angel playing like an actual PG has really helped this team too. I think our biggest issue is not having an actual low post threat. We also don't have much depth at center so Jekiri can't play as aggressive on D. I also feel we struggle with big men who are not as tall but are very strong and athletic.

This team has the fire power to make a run to the final four. Consistency is where we struggle and it seems they are starting to fix this. I just hope this team is playing their best ball come late March.

Advertisement
Back