Who is the worst Miami coach of all time?

Who is the worst ever Miami coach?

• Total voters
Advertisement
All bad, just in different ways. So far, however, Manny has elements of all their ineptitude, all rolled into one. PLUS his stupid use of trinkets and celebration tracking. Losing to FIU, a two win GT team, and nearly losing to CMU. If he doesn't turn things around, he is easily the winner of this poll.

OU just lost Bradford at the time and OSU was a trainwreck that year.
Shannon was 5-7 his first year so if you count wins from his third year you have to give Manny 3. I for one, don't want to give manny three years

Randy had 3 routs in his first year vs OU, UVA and Va Tech. However, those were all ranked teams, with OU and Va Tech both winning conference titles.

Manny lost to really bad FIU and Ga Tech teams, a somewhat less bad Duke team, and struggled vs CMU. Those are all worse results than Randy’s bad performances, despite looking better on the scoreboard.

Plus the ACC is really bad this year. For God’s sake, Old Dominion went 0-11 vs the FBS, and won by 3 points over Norfolk State, a 5-7 MEAC team. And Old Dominion lead the Coastal Division champions after 3 quarters, and was down by 7 in the 4th quarter to the Coastal runner ups.

I don’t remember how good the ACC was in 2007, but I doubt it was this bad.

Looks like one of OP’s threads just got deleted. I have to say, it’s not looking very promising for this alt account.
462D65B1-45E8-4F2C-80C6-091CACB1A047.gif

Advertisement
main problem here is we used to have an AD that could hire good coaches
Howard, JJ, Butch & Dennis E. do you really expect the clown show Blake and Carol to ever get it right.
notice all coaches on list coincide with Donna taking the helm.
thanks again , Donna for all your efforts with U health which is bleeding cash while not investing in program

Op is worst corch ever just kidding.it has to be coker by a landslide.he took a rolls Royce turned it into a chevette/pinto hybrid.

If your going to ask for the worst coach of all time, then wouldn't be appropriate to list the other coaches beyond the last 20 years.
Yeah. We had some real dogs back in the day. Carl Selmer resembles our recent hires A LOT. Andy Gufftason had been decent at several schools, but was a horrendous drunk by the time I started watching Canes' football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Randy had 3 routs in his first year vs OU, UVA and Va Tech. However, those were all ranked teams, with OU and Va Tech both winning conference titles.

Manny lost to really bad FIU and Ga Tech teams, a somewhat less bad Duke team, and struggled vs CMU. Those are all worse results than Randy’s bad performances, despite looking better on the scoreboard.

Plus the ACC is really bad this year. For God’s sake, Old Dominion went 0-11 vs the FBS, and won by 3 points over Norfolk State, a 5-7 MEAC team. And Old Dominion lead the Coastal Division champions after 3 quarters, and was down by 7 in the 4th quarter to the Coastal runner ups.

I don’t remember how good the ACC was in 2007, but I doubt it was this bad.

Oh it was bad then. We didn't have a dominate Clemson to give the conference a bright spot. FSU was bad then too

He isn't the worst "coach" listed here but **** if Coker didn't borrow the Ferrari for a night out on the town only to come home in the morning in a Geo Metro with a broken a.c., radio and mismatched body panels from numerous car accidents. That alone gets my vote. The other coaches sucked for various reasons but none of them ever had close to the 2001 team.

Advertisement
Coker. He took over THE best team in the history of college football and got worse.. and worse.. and worse. And eventually had the worst bowl loss in program history. Other coaches have had issues that faced them like sanctions, lack of talent, lack of leadership, money.. whatever. Coker was one of the highest paid coaches in the game, had Paul Dee to protect him, and had a team that was LOADED with talent and leadership. And he fvcked all of it up.

This was my vote.

That was Butch's title. Crediting Coker for it is like crediting Barry Switzer over Jimmy for that 3rd bowl Dallas won in the 90s.

Switzer deserves tremendous credit. In 1995 he became only the second coach in NFL history to regain the title one season after the team was dethroned.

I'm sure Jimmy Johnson would have just continued to string together NFL titles. Oh sure, that happens all the time. Four in a row. Five in a row. No problem. The great 49ers team of 1994 would have just folded in front of him. Right now Belichick would still be chasing Jimmy's numbers.

SAMs brainstorm all of this stuff. It's the same notion that Howard Schnellenberger would have racked up nothing but championships with the Canes.

Advertisement
Carl Selmer

That's always the name that comes up first among older fans. The won/loss record certainly cooperates.

I really didn't see much of a difference during the '70s. It was like a string of 2-year head coaches and basically the same team every year, until Jim Kelly arrived against Penn State. The games were fun because we had a great schedule and always a spattering of great players. But nobody had the audacity to even think about a bowl game, unlike late '60s when I first attended as a kid.

Carl Selmer ran that Nebraska Slot-I. The strange aspect is that the offensive yards per pass attempt comparatively went through the roof in those two seasons. It almost looks like modern numbers and not '70s numbers. He was doing it with the same quarterbacks who put up significantly worse YPA numbers before Selmer took over, and after he was gone. And I remember sensing it at the time, that we were more dangerous instead of settling for dump offs every time we did throw the ball.

But since we had tough schedules and lost the close games it didn't translate to wins, so I understand how Selmer is remembered that way.

Golden never lost to FIU.

Manny definitely has the worst loss of any coach.
Not only that. Manny also managed to lose to a putrid GT squad who was trying to transition to a completely different offense after running a triple option for 10+ years. Add to that a loss at home to a garbage VT team.

Consider the following....2019 was the first time that a team lost to 3 other teams when favored by 14 or more pts in each game in 40 years!14pts(VT), 18pts(GT) and 21pts(FIU). Diaz is the literal "bottom of the barrel". The guy couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

Speaking of paper bags, I think that the hardcore 5-10K fans that will actually go to any of the home games next year should all wear paper bags. That would certainly make a statement. Enough people do it and it will be all over ESPN, and pretty much everywhere. Now that would be embarrassing to the douchebags in the administration. It would have a greater effect than a banner. Let's give that a try. Imagine a huge contingent of fans all sitting in the same area and all wearing paper bags over their heads. They could call themselves the Cain'ts.

Advertisement
Back