Which will get to elite status first Offense or Defense?

Braziliangirl

Redshirt Freshman
I like the offensive coaches better so far. The OC did a good job managing J12 last year. I like the play calling. I liked working Morris in with packages. I was expecting more from the OL last year. I like the plan to throw to the TE this year. I like the freshman talent coming in. If the QB is serviceable and keep his turnovers down, we should be able to compete.

I'm not sure about the defensive coaching. I thought we had more talent then what showed on the field. We couldn't stop the pass or the run. I saw very little to build on. We did find a LB, DE, and maybe a DT. I like our freshmen DB. I'm not sure the freshman LB or DL will help us this year. We'll have to manufacture a pass rush with scheme and blitzes. I'm not sure we can stop the run any better.

I think the offense will get to elite status first.

Advertisement
Defense. Better athletes are being brought in on that side of the ball right now. There's also more returning talent on D as well. To those who are truly unfamiliar with "U" football, defense has ALWAYS been the true hallmark of this program, along with great speed and athletes.

Defense easily. Elite status on offense means you need an elite QB. Much harder to find that than to just load up on defense.

Defense won't be elite until we get a stout 8-man rotation on the defensive line. We're bringing in talent, but it's going to take time for it to develop.

Offensively, it depends on how the o-line and Stephen Morris play. I expect them to be solid this year. But elite? MAYBE in 2014 if Morris is legit.

Elite is tough to qualify, but I actually think the offense will be better than the defense based on what I saw from Fisch last year.
My guess is year two is gonna look a whole lot different than year one.
Down the road I agree that the defense will likely be better for the reasons mentioned above. I feel Miami is going to move away from the types of teams we've been accustomed to and become more of a disciplined, hard-nosed team that doesn't beat themselves.

Advertisement
Everything can change in the blink of an eye, or in however long it takes for Duke Johnson turn into Ladanian Tomlinson.

Easily the defense. The defense should be close to elite this season, while the offense will be far from it. With perryman at MLB and a solid d line, they should be able to stop the run this year. Its possible the defense becomes elite by the end of this year.

Unless we get a superstar DT, I think it will take longer for the defense to be "elite."

Much quicker for the defense to be "good." Much quicker for the offense to have one or two players that makes it become "elite."

[]_[] swag;605348 said:
Easily the defense. The defense should be close to elite this season, while the offense will be far from it. With perryman at MLB and a solid d line, they should be able to stop the run this year. Its possible the defense becomes elite by the end of this year.

:eekeyes: :eekeyes: :eekeyes: :eekeyes: :eekeyes: :eekeyes:

Advertisement
[]_[] swag said:

Wtf

The DC is more likely to have an elite unit before the OC because he's a better coordinator, IMO.

Add to that the O lost 3 of the 10 fastest players at the NFL combine and the starting Q

Defense. I could see the progress last year.
Our offense in the last couple of games was horrible. I was not sure if it was coach's or just J12's problem? Plus, based on what I saw from spring game, i am not really optimistic for our offense this year

Advertisement
The D will be good this year and elite in 2013. As someone else said you need an elite QB to have an elite offense and that ain't happening until Morris is replaced by one of the young guys or by Olsen if/when he comes in. I think Morris is an average qb. If golden gets the DTs LBs and safeties in this upcoming recruiting class then the D will be elite with the O following in 2014.

The offense will be 'good' by next year, or should. We need Morris to be functional, a couple WRs to step up, Duke to be Duke, and our TEs to be solid. Our line next year should be very solid.

Elite is a different matter. After next year, we'll have substantial turnover on the line and at QB and TE. It may take a few years before the younger guys are ready. Hard to assess.

But we don't need an 'elite' offense. We need a capable offense and a strong defense, and good execution.

Defense is building towards better, sooner, but may take its lumps for 2 more years first.

Hopefully we get the young DTs we're targeting in recruiting this year, and they mature so by their second year in the program, they're solid. That will help us get to elite as a D. Our LB and CB recruiting has been (to my eyes) good. Worry about safeties still.

Advertisement
I don't see a QB on our roster that can get us to elite. I like Morris but "elite" is a huge jump.

I do agree that I like what I saw more on offense last year as far as coaching but that's tough to judge when coaches have a roster full of other guys players. Remains to be seen.

I say defense gets there first but like Lu said, Duke can go a long ways in this discussion.

Advertisement
Back