We Up: Players aren't satisifed

Problem2

All-American
Premium
The Canes didn’t seem to care that it was an intimate celebration. To be honest, Angel Rodriguez said, they players are not celebrating their Sweet 16 berth all that much, either.

“Shortest celebration I’ve ever been part of, and I love that,” Rodriguez replied, when asked how the UM team celebrated Saturday’s victory. “It says a lot about this team, says that the goal was not to make it to the Sweet 16. That’s a great accomplishment, a step closer, but we surely want to take it all.”

UM coach Jim Larrañaga said he received a text message from Heat president Pat Riley. It read: “Be sure your team knows when the next practice is because there’s more work to be done.”

“We kept reading and seeing about how tough they were, how great their defense was, so we came out punching first,” UM forward Kamari Murphy said. “That was the fire under us. So, you can thank ESPN and whoever makes those point spreads. People think we don’t have college basketball in Miami. We do. We’re serious, and we play at a very high level.”

Guard Ja’Quan Newton said he thinks the Canes get overlooked “because Miami has never really been a basketball school.” But after reaching two Sweet 16s in four years and being ranked in the top 15 most of this season, he hopes perceptions will change.

“It’s crazy that we were the underdog,” Newton said. “We came out with a chip on our shoulder because everyone was writing us off. … They look at the Kentuckys, the North Carolinas, the Wisconsins, the Wichita States, the teams that have been places. Now, I hope everybody understands how real this team is and how serious we are about winning this whole thing.”

Winning the whole thing? As in, the national title?

“Yes,” replied Newton. “Now that we’re here, in the Sweet 16, I think we can win it all, honestly.”

Rodriguez, whose gutsy play and 28 points led the Canes over the Shockers, was a bit more measured in his comments. But he made it clear that he is not satisfied reaching the Sweet 16.

“It feels great to advance to the Sweet 16, but honestly, the way I’m feeling right now is that getting here gave me a lot more fuel than what I had, and I know the whole team feels the same way, that we can achieve more,” he said. “The motivation is even higher now.”

Miami Hurricanes not satisfied with Sweet 16 berth ? they want more | Miami Herald

:U5PyXda:

Advertisement
If we play with this attitude the rest of the season, we won't be looking at just a Sweet Sixteen team, that's for sure.

Advertisement
We need Sheldon to take the majority of our shots. Love good angel, but man Sheldon has to realize he's the best player on the court

We need Sheldon to take the majority of our shots. Love good angel, but man Sheldon has to realize he's the best player on the court

Yeah I love 'em but most of the time I'm wishing he'd assert himself. He can be so quiet for long stretches. But from every so often he seems to decide it's time, and then he goes to work...and not just on offense, either. Need him to get that going more frequently.

We need everyone maxing out in terms of effort and playing to their strengths.

This is funny. One poster on the Wichita State board, obviously butthurt, complained that "Miami is celebrating like they just beat Duke." Others quickly jumped on him saying Miami was all class. One said Miami was celebrating like they beat a team better than Duke. Either way, I think any celebration was just relief to not have blown the lead, and that this team is focused and knows just making it to the Sweet 16 is not enough.

Advertisement
This is funny. One poster on the Wichita State board, obviously butthurt, complained that "Miami is celebrating like they just beat Duke." Others quickly jumped on him saying Miami was all class. One said Miami was celebrating like they beat a team better than Duke. Either way, I think any celebration was just relief to not have blown the lead, and that this team is focused and knows just making it to the Sweet 16 is not enough.

Sorry we're aren't allowed to celebrate a win in the tournament where if you lose, you know, you go home?

'The Canes didn’t seem to care that it was an intimate celebration'

I was there for the bus arriving, literally 10 people, reporters included, were there. But I am glad to see they arent happy with just a sweet 16. Keep it going and get Sheldon back to Texas.

Sorry we're aren't allowed to celebrate a win in the tournament where if you lose, you know, you go home?

It's like we are a non-basketball school until we beat someone who is a "lesser" school. then we turn into a perennial title contender beating up the little sisters of the poor.

I was there for the bus arriving, literally 10 people, reporters included, were there. But I am glad to see they arent happy with just a sweet 16. Keep it going and get Sheldon back to Texas.

I heard Michelle Kaufman talking about the pathetic showing when the team returned last night. It wasnt publicized very well but there was a large group of students who didnt want to wait around and instead headed over to the Metrorail so they could go to Ultra.

Advertisement

I heard Michelle Kaufman talking about the pathetic showing when the team returned last night. It wasnt publicized very well but there was a large group of students who didnt want to wait around and instead headed over to the Metrorail so they could go to Ultra.

Someone even shouted at a bunch of students going to Ultra, 'The team will be here any moment, come congratulate em' and these little raving teens had the most confused look on their faces and just replied with 'what?'. How are you not aware of your schools team getting to the sweet 16? I still dont understand the hype of that festival, went 3 years ago, I just wanted to go home after 2 hours of it

Advertisement
Kamari was 100% accurate. That first 15 minutes of the game was the best that they played all year. That defense was smothering and they did punch WSU right in the mouth!!!

I like the matchup with Nova. They are young and the Canes have a size advantage, but the team can also go small when Nova goes small. The Canes experience will be the difference...if they play with discipline, structure and determination. Not the team that gets sloppy, fancy and lackadaisical.

Advertisement
Back