We haven’t had a 2-0 week since 12/7

Miami04

Senior
I think going 2-0 this week is crucial to us staying in the top 4.

Going to be tough with 2 road games.

Advertisement
FSU is going to be tough. Record is misleading. They are getting healthy and playing better. That big guy they have (Mcloud I think) has been irrelevant by thte looks of it but knowing our height issues I'd find a way to get him in and just try to impact Omier and Wongs Drives.

I try to think 1 win at a time. But if I went a bit further it would be great to win 2 out of every three moving forward to keep pace and stay near the top. But our next 3 games we should be favored but all 3 teams need some big wins and we now fit that bill

Advertisement
This guy is why stats are great but it makes nerds think its the only way....what a horrible take. Remember they were saying something similar then the tourney started. Then all the sudden the ACC had 3 in the final 8.Then they spun it as over performing.

This guy is why stats are great but it makes nerds think its the only way....what a horrible take. Remember they were saying something similar then the tourney started. Then all the sudden the ACC had 3 in the final 8.Then they spun it as over performing.

Historically bad ACC?

What an absolute clown.

He should spend less time tweeting and more time figuring out an algorithm that has some correlation to reality.

Historically bad ACC?

What an absolute clown.

He should spend less time tweeting and more time figuring out an algorithm that has some correlation to reality.
The ACC may not have many elite teams, but it's filled with good ones. We could see 8 or even 9 teams make the tourney.

Advertisement
The ACC may not have many elite teams, but it's filled with good ones. We could see 8 or even 9 teams make the tourney.

To get an idea of how big a clown he is… he just mocked a conference where the team with a 1-7 conference record is ranked 47th in his own ranking system.

So tell me about how bad a conference is where the team that is 1-7 in conference is a top 50 team in the nation.

Somebody who has Twitter should respond that the conference where the 47th ranked kenpom team is 1-7 in conference games is way better than his ranking system.

Last edited:
To get an idea of how big a clown he is… he just mocked a conference where the team with a 1-7 conference record is ranked 47th in his own ranking system.

So tell me about how bad a conference is where the team that is 1-7 in conference is a top 50 team in the nation.

Somebody who has Twitter should respond that the conference where the 47th ranked kenpom team is 1-7 in conference games is way better than his ranking system.
Virginia Tech isn't a great example to use when comparing conference record to the rankings. They are a different team with Hunter Cattoor in the lineup (just look at him tonight against Duke so far), and most of those conference losses came with him out of the lineup. If he's healthy, they wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom of the league (and against one of the more difficult starts to the schedule among ACC teams, they've only seen BC among the bottom feeders). They would more likely be in the 4-4, 5-3 range in conference play given all the close losses they had without him. But at the same time, they'd be ranked higher than 47 in his system.

But to play devil's advocate, if a 1-7 team in conference play being rated in the top 50 is a sign of the ACC's strength, then what does it say about the ACC that Florida St. is 5-4 in conference play yet are rated outside the top 140? It's a tough sell for me that a team that has two non-conference wins and losses to Stetson, Troy, Siena, and Stanford is a good team. They have had the benefit of getting to play against more of the bottom of the league than a Virginia Tech has, but they also have a road win at Pitt.

FWIW, I don't think this is the worst the ACC has been. Kenpom's numbers may say it is, but Louisville is an absolute anchor and BC/Notre Dame/Georgia Tech/FSU aren't helping matters. How he tries to rank conferences is he tries to determine what the quality of a team would be that would be expected to go .500 in conference play. Even if the middle of the league has quality, those five schools will torpedo that particular metric. 2012-2013 are worse to me because they lacked depth in the middle of the league, but neither has the equivalent of a 2023 Louisville in that league so he would rate the ACC in those particular years as 'better' than it is ranked in 2023. But this year's ACC also isn't on the level of this year's Big 12, and it isn't as strong as the ACC was during 2015-2019.

This isn’t ACC football, this is ACC basketball. The league is **** good, period. Don’t care what the metrics say.

Going 2-0 would be great this week, but both are road games. FSU much better than their record implies and we haven’t beat them in years, I’m sure Coach L will be motivated to do so but it’ll be a battle. Pitt is solid but come off their high, so I think we are getting them at the right time…

We’ll see. Anyone who thought we’d just have back to back 2-0 weeks once conference play got in the thick of it is semi-delusional…GT has really been the only inexcusable loss, and we shot so poorly that game, missed so many free throws, and didn’t close a 5pt lead.

Otherwise our losses were to a scorching Maryland, @ NC State in OT in a rematch where we’d won the first game, and @ Duke, who was desperate to win after losing to Clemson and having a week to prepare for us…

The complaining is a little much for a 15-4 team. And no, the “playing bad” doesn’t hit the same because rarely do college teams play a good, complete game

Virginia Tech isn't a great example to use when comparing conference record to the rankings. They are a different team with Hunter Cattoor in the lineup (just look at him tonight against Duke so far), and most of those conference losses came with him out of the lineup. If he's healthy, they wouldn't be anywhere near the bottom of the league (and against one of the more difficult starts to the schedule among ACC teams, they've only seen BC among the bottom feeders). They would more likely be in the 4-4, 5-3 range in conference play given all the close losses they had without him. But at the same time, they'd be ranked higher than 47 in his system.

But to play devil's advocate, if a 1-7 team in conference play being rated in the top 50 is a sign of the ACC's strength, then what does it say about the ACC that Florida St. is 5-4 in conference play yet are rated outside the top 140? It's a tough sell for me that a team that has two non-conference wins and losses to Stetson, Troy, Siena, and Stanford is a good team. They have had the benefit of getting to play against more of the bottom of the league than a Virginia Tech has, but they also have a road win at Pitt.

FWIW, I don't think this is the worst the ACC has been. Kenpom's numbers may say it is, but Louisville is an absolute anchor and BC/Notre Dame/Georgia Tech/FSU aren't helping matters. How he tries to rank conferences is he tries to determine what the quality of a team would be that would be expected to go .500 in conference play. Even if the middle of the league has quality, those five schools will torpedo that particular metric. 2012-2013 are worse to me because they lacked depth in the middle of the league, but neither has the equivalent of a 2023 Louisville in that league so he would rate the ACC in those particular years as 'better' than it is ranked in 2023. But this year's ACC also isn't on the level of this year's Big 12, and it isn't as strong as the ACC was during 2015-2019.

The funny/ironic/incredibly-stupid part is HE used VT as an example in reference to NIL parity and the ACC being historically bad (that 1-7 VT is favored against Duke).

And FSU isn’t close to the 140th best team in basketball today… just the 14,000th reminder that kenpom is useless.

But again… your reply missed the entire point. Kenpom was using VT as an example in the most idiotically wrongheaded way possible.

Advertisement
Advertisement
7CEC7D21-D14C-405E-AB63-237A12148DBC.jpeg

Advertisement
Back