We dont face a team that can pass til nc state

80s

Sophomore
Which is why the young guys in the secondary will have time to grow & get feet wet. Our defensive front 7 will determine how the season starts. BC, K State, Ga Tech are one dimensional, albeit effective at times.

But schemewise it should be pretty simple. Man up, stay low, fire off ball, stay in your lane.

Of course if our offense turns the ball over it will make it tougher. But iam not worried about our secondary until nc state & pretty much after. Thats when Dnofrio will truly have to pull some miracles & get creative at times.

So to summarize, i think we can be 4-0 to start if we avoid turnovers.

Thoughts? Im open to disagreement. Perhaps im missin somethin?

Advertisement
well I agree to a certain point.....BC & KSU had their best days throwing against us..look for them both to test the YOUNG DBS...of chick and co cannot get pressure...LONG YEAR...we will know sept 1st how the DBS are....not NCST. We made kids look like hesimans last year...**** the kid from MD threw for 400+ yards on us and got benched and transferred he sucked so bad....

well I agree to a certain point.....BC & KSU had their best days throwing against us..look for them both to test the YOUNG DBS...of chick and co cannot get pressure...LONG YEAR...we will know sept 1st how the DBS are....not NCST. We made kids look like hesimans last year...**** the kid from MD threw for 400+ yards on us and got benched and transferred he sucked so bad....

I think most of that was a testament to how bad our secondary was last year, but I agree with pretty much everything else. I think we see a BIG improvement in that department this year.

I don't expect our pass defense to be good, but I expect it to be a lot better than the **** show we saw last year.

Advertisement
Any college QB with time to throw will complete his passes.

The key to stopping the pass game is going to be pass rush of the D line.

With pressure on the quarterback, the DBs will look a lot better.

That said, it's been a long time since I've seen a UM team put consistent pressure on the opposing team's QB without blitzing.

Advertisement
Interesting theory but I don't agree.

One year ago we thought we woukd curbstomp KSU and they ended up going on to have a great season. When you have a bunch of middle of the road teams, its pretty tough to predict anything.

Good points, but this 2012 team would destroy the 2011 miami team, hypothetically speaking. In other words, I'll take Tracy Howard at 18 years old over Mike Williams at 22 years old, etc.

But yeah, I could be eating my words in a few weeks if Colin Klein throws for 400 against us, or Ga Tech connects on some 80 yard bombs.

I was more disagreeing with you because we have a little history of making average QBs look like Heisman contenders.

But I do have high hopes for our secondary, just not sure how long it will take

Advertisement
Telemaque
McGee
Finnie
Highsmith
Rodgers
Swasey

Only guys with any D-1 experience. Unless Howard, Bush, Crawford are complete studs then we're in serious barney.

Seems every team, with whatever converted lineman, punter, end, random person they pulled from the stands before game time, intermural contest winner, ad nauseum, is a great passing team against us.

Looks like we are working on shoring that up, but playing ten yards off the receivers will ALWAYS turn a bum into a Heisman passer AND a 100 yard scrambler, and also turn slow, white TEs and wideouts into ESPN highlight heroes.

Granted, not being able to tackle was a contributor, hopefully one we fixed. ;)

None of that bend and then break crap, anyhow! Put pressure on their QBs to make hard throws under fire, and bums will be bums more often than not.

Last edited:
I'm worried about these d tackles. The running team thing scares me just as much, if not more.

Advertisement
Still don't like VT on the backend , but we have a lot more range back there with KR. We don't have a speed rusher ,but we do have kids who can play press now so we might be able to get off the field on third downs.

Still don't like VT on the backend , but we have a lot more range back there with KR. We don't have a speed rusher ,but we do have kids who can play press now so we might be able to get off the field on third downs.

Safety is more about instincts than range...his speed has nothing to do with it..it seems like vaughn never jumps a route or reads a play before it happens..or at least the defense is not designed for him too. who knows

Advertisement
Back