Watching UM v. Va Tech from last year

Canedelabra

Redshirt Freshman
We lost 35-38; a game we could/should have won. As well as we played in that game, in the waning minutes of the game, VagTech ran the ball. We didn't make a stop. Moving forward, is our run defense still a concern? Forgive me, I haven't been on the boards in a while, so don't be ****s if and when you respond to my query. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That was a great game. Immediately following the game I was ****ed, and cursing off the defense and D'Onofrio, but after it all sank in I finally got the sense that the culture was beginning to change a bit. The guys busted their asses in that game, especially in the second half.

Very few times did Sean Spence **** up in his career, but I will never forget the image of his hands on his head after letting VTs QB waltz into the endzone for the game-winning score

Don't forget VT's second TD that game........horrible, HORRIBLE coverage by the DB..WR wide open for an easy TD. Allen Hurns played well and I think Fisch called a great game.

I was at a wedding that day... brutal following it on the Scorecenter app and seeing the result.

Advertisement
Very few times did Sean Spence **** up in his career, but I will never forget the image of his hands on his head after letting VTs QB waltz into the endzone for the game-winning score

Miami has had major problems with the option read for about 5 years now

Miami has had major problems with the option read for about 5 years now

i always wonder why FSU didnt run ponder on those 4 goal line plays last time we beat them. No they didnt have any time outs, but they were killing us with the draw all game long. They would have won that game if Ponder would have faked and ran up the middle .

Don't forget VT's second TD that game........horrible, HORRIBLE coverage by the DB..WR wide open for an easy TD.
One of the few times we played man defense all day--and that was why.

If there's anything on D going forward I'm worried about, it's whether or not we'll see a better mixture of man vs. zone coverages, and not give up 80 yard TD's thru the air everytime we think about playing man. I think with a guy like Tracy Howard (and maybe Gunter) that we can play man capably enough to mix it up and not make guys like Thomas or Rettig look like all stars against charmin-soft zone.

We made their average QB look like Cam Newton in that game, defense was just awful. But it was great to see the guys play with heart and fight until the end of that game.

Advertisement
Don't forget VT's second TD that game........horrible, HORRIBLE coverage by the DB..WR wide open for an easy TD.
One of the few times we played man defense all day--and that was why.

If there's anything on D going forward I'm worried about, it's whether or not we'll see a better mixture of man vs. zone coverages, and not give up 80 yard TD's thru the air everytime we think about playing man. I think with a guy like Tracy Howard (and maybe Gunter) that we can play man capably enough to mix it up and not make guys like Thomas or Rettig look like all stars against charmin-soft zone.

It's funny because man is suppose to be the the least complex scheme....its simply "you guard that guy", there's minimal reads, minimal thinking.....you don't have to stay on a guy until someone else shows in your zone or pass him off or switch off on certain routes.....you just stay next to the one f%7ing guy you are suppose to guard....it's athletic ability and technique.....neither of which require much intelligence

I was at a wedding that day... brutal following it on the Scorecenter app and seeing the result.

I was at a wedding too, but it was at a house and I ran to watch as much of it as I could. Disappointing for sure. I'm watching this game, going back from feeling great to depressed, and all around me people are preparing for the wedding, doing all that work, Sort of surreal.

Our run defense should be better. Porter is back in the lineup, Smith's weight is down, Robinson is back from injury, and Pierre is a year older. Much better situation at DT this year.

Spence didn't get moved to MLB until midway through last season, after VaTech. Perryman will start out this year in the middle and is our best linebacker.

Our safeties remain the same, meh.

Overall, our run defense should be improved. We're better upfront, better at linebacker.

Advertisement
run defense was a problem but their QB going almost perfect in that game was a much bigger problem - just was way too easy on him.

Our run defense should be much improved this year, I think pass defense might be our biggest weakness this year

Advertisement
run defense was a problem but their QB going almost perfect in that game was a much bigger problem - just was way too easy on him.

thats all qbs of opposing teams here lately

yeah every QB had their best game against us it seemed last year. funny thing was that I looked up old Temple fans opinion's of our DC. One of the comments was about making opposing QBs all look like Heisman candidates or something to that effect. Felt real familiar. I like Golden. Still on the fence when it comes to the DC.

That was a great game. Immediately following the game I was ****ed, and cursing off the defense and D'Onofrio, but after it all sank in I finally got the sense that the culture was beginning to change a bit. The guys busted their asses in that game, especially in the second half.

I felt the same way. I missed the game but after rewatching the whole thing on espn3, I couldn't help but feel optimistic about the future. A Randy Shannon coached team would have come out in the 2nd half and gotten blown out. For the first time in who knows how long, the team never quit. Showed a great deal of heart, and quite honestly should have won that game. Watching the Brandon Washington mini speech at halftime gave me chills

Thanks for everyone's input. That game was so early in the season. The fifth, I think. Offensively, so encouraging. Even though I knew the outcome, I was cheering as if I was watching the game live (we only lost by 3).The D, not so much. Here's to hoping things will improve on that end.

Advertisement
Back