Virginia looking really bad

ThomasM

Retired from college football
It's early, but Richmond is moving the ball fairly easily. Up 13-0.

Advertisement
I live in Richmond. If U of R beats UVA it will make these corny UVA nerds cry.

I didn't realize the London had resigned and then replaced. I guess once Folden got canned he lost his whipping boy and knew it was just a matter of time.

I didn't realize the London had resigned and then replaced. I guess once Folden got canned he lost his whipping boy and knew it was just a matter of time.

They brought in some dude from Utah and a whole bunch of WAC coaches. Lol.

Advertisement
Remember those 2 hours where people said Richt was going to UVA... Looks like he made the right decision.

Remember those 2 hours where people said Richt was going to UVA... Looks like he made the right decision.

That was funny. I had a guy telling me that he heard Richt's wife really liked Charlottesville and didn't want to go to Miami.

Advertisement
I live in Richmond. If U of R beats UVA it will make these corny UVA nerds cry.

[video=youtube_share;gZEdDMQZaCU]https://youtu.be/gZEdDMQZaCU[/video]

That about sums it up - Imagine a whole stadium full of Mid-Atlantic/Southernish cornball Louis and Gilberts swaying arm and arm to their school song after those lead dudes trot out on horses with swords drawn. We come out through smoke with bad Ghengis Khan/Atilla the Hun-like intentions.

Mendenhall has a long, long road to walk if he's going to get UVa back to anything resembling competitive. London left the program in shambles, they didn't recruit worth a **** at all. If Mendenhall can get some kids to stay home, and pluck the occasional national guy, they will at least be a bowl team again. I don't know if Bronco can get them back to the level G. Welsh had them at in the early nineties, but they should be far better than this a couple of years down the road.

Mendenhall has a long, long road to walk if he's going to get UVa back to anything resembling competitive. London left the program in shambles, they didn't recruit worth a **** at all. If Mendenhall can get some kids to stay home, and pluck the occasional national guy, they will at least be a bowl team again. I don't know if Bronco can get them back to the level G. Welsh had them at in the early nineties, but they should be far better than this a couple of years down the road.

I never understood the hire to begin with. They brought in a bunch of WAC guys who are used to playing a different type of game and who have no recruiting connections to this side of the country. If they can work towards dominating Hampton Roads, and get more stellar in-state kids like Quin Blanding, and pull some kids from the RVA and NoVa- things will change.

That's a lot of if's and VaTech is looking like the more attractive in-state program right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I never understood the hire to begin with. They brought in a bunch of WAC guys who are used to playing a different type of game and who have no recruiting connections to this side of the country. If they can work towards dominating Hampton Roads, and get more stellar in-state kids like Quin Blanding, and pull some kids from the RVA and NoVa- things will change.

That's a lot of if's and VaTech is looking like the more attractive in-state program right now.

Virginia Tech will ALWAYS be the more attractive program, they have far more recent success, and UVa's academic stance does hurt them somewhat. UVa is a state school that feels like a small private institution, Mendenhall will have to work with that, and overcome that image, especially when it comes to city kids. Mendenhall won at BYU, he's an upgrade over what they had, and with his attention to detail, and ability to manage, should be able to give them a boost. I don't see UVa as being more than the usual 7-8 win program, with the occasional big year, and that's something Bronco can deliver.

Virginia Tech will ALWAYS be the more attractive program, they have far more recent success, and UVa's academic stance does hurt them somewhat. UVa is a state school that feels like a small private institution, Mendenhall will have to work with that, and overcome that image, especially when it comes to city kids. Mendenhall won at BYU, he's an upgrade over what they had, and with his attention to detail, and ability to manage, should be able to give them a boost. I don't see UVa as being more than the usual 7-8 win program, with the occasional big year, and that's something Bronco can deliver.

If coaches can convince city kids to go to Mississippi and Alabama, UVA shouldn't be that hard. Obviously it's not nearly the draw, but the fact of being in a little country town shouldn't matter too much.

If coaches can convince city kids to go to Mississippi and Alabama, UVA shouldn't be that hard. Obviously it's not nearly the draw, but the fact of being in a little country town shouldn't matter too much.

True. Charlottesville actually has a high end factor going and is only an hour from Richmond. Not really a country place compared to Blacksburg.

Last edited:
Advertisement

True. It actually had a high end factor and is only an hour from Richmond

I mean living there would be soul crushing, but at least you probably won't get lynched.

It's not that Charlottesville is small, it's the fact that the school has a background of not being all that welcoming to a certain type of kid. It's snobby, and from my experience with recruits, it can be off putting. There's an image problem at UVa, and Mendenhall has to overcome that.

Advertisement
Back