Tyriq McCord

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
It seemed like people were so surprised when McCord committed, they were cautious to get too excited. Now that he's here, what are everybody's expectations for this guy?

Personally, I see him playing the Kelvin Cain role and helping on third down. From what I've seen in his clips and in the AA game, he's better standing up. He's got a well-developed upper body, but skinny legs. Doesn't seem to have the lower-body strength to hold the point. Standing up, his closing speed becomes devastating with that extra step. If you wanna see how this guy runs, watch him chase down UF 4* RB commit Matt Jones in the first clip.

The word is that he didn't perform exceptionally well in space during the 7-on-7 circuit, but he seems too athletic to be a total liability in coverage. I've also heard from people on campus that he is a mature, focused and hungry player with a good makeup.

Over under- 5 sacks this year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38WvtrbBzxE

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think he's going do most of his work on 3rd down this season. It'd be nice to see him used in some 3-4 packages though and see how he performs there.

I'm going say 5 sacks is a good mark for the season. The kid is motivated to do better than Chick last year so I wouldn't be surprised to see over.

Chickillo had five sacks as a freshman.

There just isn't enough talent on the rest of the D-Line, especially on the inside for this guy to run free and cause disruption in the backfield on a regular basis. I think he'll get a few sacks, but five is a high bench mark. You're saying he would lead our team in sacks (team lead had 5 - Chickillo and Robinson)...just don't see it.

I'll take the under and feel confident. D-Line just lacks overall talent to let a pure pass rusher run wild as a freshman. When he's in the game, I assume teams are going to run right at him.

Its hard to guess on sack totals. He could pick up some 'coverage sacks' if our cbs are better and he's in on passing downs. Also, if we're in fewer close games there could be some more garbage time sacks one way or the other. Five sounds like a lot, but he could pick up 2 in a game and then you're not talking so much. I'llagree with Larry in predicting the under, but the real question for me is PT/snaps more than sacks. What time does he get relative to cain, green and williams.

Advertisement
kid should redshirt IMO but he probably won't due to horrific depth. he is a tweener and doesn't have a natural spot that a FR can just waltz in and make plays. could be Jordan Futch 2.0

I hope he's not. seems a bit more athletic but we've seen this story before. a kid that made his living running free in the backfield in HS

if he's playing DE we are in serious trouble and I don't know why we'd burn his shirt to put him in on a handful of third downs

I would take the under. I say 2 sacks at most for this kid. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see anyone coming close to the season Chick.

Chick had:
38 Tackles, 5 sacks, 6.5 TFL

I would like to see him do what Vernon did his frosh season.
25 Tackles, 1.5 Sacks, 7 TFL

Last edited:
Advertisement
I say the Canes will be in a lot of close games this year, and so there won't be a lot of garbage time at the end of games to play new comers (except for the Bethune game).

So, assuming I'm right and there's a lot of close games, the true freshman will only see playing time if they actually earn it by performance.

For this reason I'll go with under on the 5 sacks. If there were more than one cupcake on the UM schedule I would be tempted to go with over.

Under 5. But I expect the staff to really move him around and utilize his pass rushing. I really like mccord and expect big things while he is a cane.

Great athlete with a lot of skill. Everything will depend on his weight/stregnth #s, but he doesn't 'shirt, I'd take the over.

Advertisement
Seriously? Seriously??

We're GUESSING how many sacks this young man may get this next year?

Can't wait till we get to guessing how many tackles (fill in the blank) will get. And THEN how many shared tackles!

I drool with anticipation . . .

Seriously? Seriously??

Can't wait till we get to guessing how many tackles (fill in the blank) will get. And THEN how many shared tackles!

Why respond?

Under.

Seriously? Seriously??

It's July, home-slice.

Everyone is hard up for Canes football discush.

Get with the progrum.

Advertisement
Seriously? Seriously??

It beats *********ing.

Seriously? Seriously??

Relax bro, it's the off-season, there's nothing else really going on, fall practice hasn't started yet and we're all anticipating the production from our incoming class, it's suppose to be a light thread

Seriously? Seriously??

It beats *********ing.
the-best-of-the-skeptical-3rd-world-kid-meme.jpg

I expect this year's defense to be better than last year's, especially in pass coverage, but I don't think he gets five so I'll take the under. I think there will be someone on the team who gets to five and that McCord will have that in a season during his career here, but I'm not expecting him to do it as a true freshman. I think this staff will play to the strengths of our players more than the previous two staffs, so they will find a way to take advantage of his skill set. I agree with the posters who said he should redshirt but that more than likely he will be a special teams demon.

Advertisement
Back