Two-way slugger Todd Hudson (Liberty) commits to Miami

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
One of the biggest weaknesses on last year's Miami team was the absence of left-handed power bats. Help is on the way with the addition of 6'6, 225-pound Todd Hudson of Liberty.

Hudson, who was the top-rated OF in South Carolina out of high school, made 13 appearances as a pitcher for Liberty in 2024 while hitting 11 homers and slashing .280/.377/.586 (.963 OPS). In addition to pitching and hitting, Hudson played point guard on his high school basketball team...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
I'm no baseball scout but this kid's physicality is extremely impressive. Carries 6'6, 225 with coordination and he's fast.

I watched his interview with a Liberty TV station yesterday and he was very confident and well-spoken. He also wore cowboy boots, so props to the staff for selling him on Miami.

Ya, hopefully some of these guys make a quick transition to a P4 conference. There's certainly enough of them playing in Omaha right now.

At least JD and staff are adding some depth and size w the recent announcements. Keep 'em coming.
Yeah it feels like his primary goal was to add size both in pitching and hitting to the team.

Advertisement
The OF that transferred to Florida had better numbers when at Liberty.

It did not translate to success in a power conference.

Sorry but I am not sold. We are getting scraps from the smaller schools.
I wouldn't say Jaylen Guy had better numbers. He was a .793 OPS guy in his fourth year after three weak hitting seasons. Hudson was .953 and .963 OPS his first two years while also pitching.

Hudson also has more physicality for the transition- 6'6, 225 vs. 6'0, 175. He may still flop but the comparison isn't apples to apples.

Advertisement
I wouldn't say Jaylen Guy had better numbers. He was a .793 OPS guy in his fourth year after three weak hitting seasons. Hudson was .953 and .963 OPS his first two years while also pitching.

Hudson also has more physicality for the transition- 6'6, 225 vs. 6'0, 175. He may still flop but the comparison isn't apples to apples.
Way to correct the misinformation

I remember some posting that we needed bigger guys like the lsu’s and Florida’s. Well this guy and the pitcher certainly help us look better. Now will we play better? We shall see.

Can any of these OF’s we are bringing in play CF or RF? It looks like all 3 of them primarily were LF’s when not playing first or DH’ing

Advertisement
Solid pick up, needs to work on his strikeouts, but improved greatly from freshman to sophomore year. Showed a lot more patience this yr at the plate. Should be a good piece in the batting order, if we can help him hone in on the tools he have. (Pause, jic)

Another tools bet. Danny and I talked about him and I said, “he should be a hitter only” so it’s good to hear he’s going to develop as a hitter only moving forward.

You’d be surprised at how athletic he is. Moves in a coordinated way and he rotates really well with that length. There is legitimate pop even when he doesn’t barrel it.

You’re hoping he takes another step in shortening the swing and with his chase. Lots of strikeouts to not be getting to more power. When athletic, physical players like this focus on one or the other (pitching or hitting) they tend to take a leap that next season.

Realistically, you’re probably looking at a high-K, solid pop, decent OBP guy with athleticism around the bag and on the bases.

If you go in expecting him to be a nice player, you’re probably in the right neighborhood here.

Need a Friday starter in the worst way, but all of portal takes have solid reasoning thus far. Just need the finisher.

Advertisement
Back