transfers

Advertisement
Well we have 90 kids on schollie, if all recruits enroll and Hall is gone permanently. Golden said we'd be down to 80 so i suspect we will see a ton of transfers and "graduations".

Darion Hall was kicked off the team.
John Calhoun will stay in school last I heard, but is no longer on the team.

I believe we are still at 90 even with the loss of Calhoun and Hall.

I don't know where Golden got that 80 number from. Seems strange he wouldn't just trim it down to 85 since that's the max. I mean why not keep 5 extra guys on the roster if it doesn't hurt you to do so? It will be interesting to see where we are at in September.

Advertisement

I don't know where Golden got that 80 number from. Seems strange he wouldn't just trim it down to 85 since that's the max. I mean why not keep 5 extra guys on the roster if it doesn't hurt you to do so? It will be interesting to see where we are at in September.

So far ive learned that when golden talks numbers... he's usually dead on with them... ill be excepting as everyone stated "graduations", transfers, etc..

My thought is it is a proactive way to deal with scholarship losses. Officials are expecting to hear about our sanctions in the summer, which would allow us to keep a deep enough roster through the spring practices. Then cut RS's left over dead weight and move on. If you're a Junior/Senior and haven't seen the field much yet, your time here may be over. I don't think our schollie losses will be big, but if we get say 9 over 3 years, why not just take 5 now when these players aren't contributing anything anyway?

Darion Hall was kicked off the team.
John Calhoun will stay in school last I heard, but is no longer on the team.

Calhoun is done. Graduated, back at home, applying to grad schools.

Thought he was going to go to UM Law. Eh, well, good for him. I don't think he was worthless, FWIW. Just a guy that probably should never have gotten a ship. But I thought as a FB, he wasn't awful.

Advertisement
They expect to hear from the NCAA in the summer. That doesn't mean we'll know our sanctions. It doesn't work like that. We get a Notice of Allegations first. Then we respond to it by self-sanctioning based on what allegations we're charged with, and what type of punishments had been given out to other teams in regards to those allegations. Then we wait until the NCAA determines if that's enough or not. That could take a while. OSU got their word back fairly quickly. UNC on the other hand, is STILL waiting to hear back from the NCAA. They submitted their self-sanctions back around the summer/beginning of the season.

Still find it hard to believe Wells hasn't left yet.

I've read that he hates it here. I've also read that he is not Div 1 caliber. What's scary is that he might end up as the first backup at OG/C. Linder, Mcdermott, one of Feliciano/Bunche will be the starters but who is going to back them up? We have Jeremy Lewis, true FR Dan Isidora, Jared Wheeler, and none of them have proven anything. Our OL depth is just as thin as DE and S depth.

Advertisement
[]_[]Fan2010;251603 said:

My thought is it is a proactive way to deal with scholarship losses. Officials are expecting to hear about our sanctions in the summer, which would allow us to keep a deep enough roster through the spring practices. Then cut RS's left over dead weight and move on. If you're a Junior/Senior and haven't seen the field much yet, your time here may be over. I don't think our schollie losses will be big, but if we get say 9 over 3 years, why not just take 5 now when these players aren't contributing anything anyway?

If we lose scholarships it will not be effective before the season. This is why I'm confused as to why we just wouldn't keep 85 on the roster if that is the max?

If we receive a loss of scholarships it will be for next season, and then I agree if Golden chooses to cut the dead weight to keep our numbers down and to be able to bring in a bigger class so be it.

Cutting the roster down to 80 instead of 85 for the season doesn't make much sense to me, but then again I'm not the coach and never will be. Golden knows what he's doing I'm just struggling to find the logic myself.

Still find it hard to believe Wells hasn't left yet.

I've read that he hates it here. I've also read that he is not Div 1 caliber. What's scary is that he might end up as the first backup at OG/C. Linder, Mcdermott, one of Feliciano/Bunche will be the starters but who is going to back them up? We have Jeremy Lewis, true FR Dan Isidora, Jared Wheeler, and none of them have proven anything. Our OL depth is just as thin as DE and S depth.

He just doesn't seem to be on the same level as the recruits we brought in this year. He was a plan B (C?) guy to begin with. On the other hand, I do like the depth on the line. Assuming we don't get killed with injuries (again), we should be OK, and there should definitely be a jump in quality from the line this year, even without Washington.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back