Todays situation with Davis had me thinking o Herbert James.

k9cane

Senior
remember him? Wore 26 back in the late 80's, started in 91 on the title team

But I remember James being a real physical hard-hitting guy, really good and willing special teams player. But had to wait essentially his whole career to really get a crack at full-time PT at corner. And did it willingly, was a willing role player, understood the type of talent that was in front of him( like Bennie and the Jets, and then Ryan McNeil, Roland Smith and Kenny Berry) but stuck it out. Was a part of championship squads.

Much the same way Robert Bailey did during his tenure at UM.

That's when there was a certain toughness and culture to this program

For all the great, future Hall of Famers we've seen at Coral Gables, it reminds me that we should also really appreciate guys like Herbert James and the like. They are the coal-shovelers that Golden speaks off

Last edited:
Advertisement
excellent post... excellent post

Almost like q.Hill you just need guys on the team like that. guys who will do the dirty work minus the accolades.

agreed, but that won't be as prevelant in the culture that we have today that demands immediate gratification.....

Times are different K9. Kids today think they should be great the minute they show up and that they are ready for the NFL after having done next to nothing at this level. Maybe it's always been this way and I'm jaded, but it just seems many more kids today expect immediate gratification without having to put in the hard hard work. The more kids we can get like Herbert James the better off we'll be.

But I remember James being a real physical hard-hitting guy, really good and willing special teams player. But had to wait essentially his whole career to really get a crack at full-time PT at corner. And did it willingly, was a willing role player, understood the type of talent that was in front of him( like Bennie and the Jets, and then Ryan McNeil, Roland Smith and Kenny Berry) but stuck it out. Was a part of championship squads.

For all the great, future Hall of Famers we've seen at Coral Gables, it reminds me that we should also really appreciate guys like Herbert James and the like. They are the coal-shovelers that Golden speaks off

Say it loud!

Him and Bailey same year out of southridge

Advertisement
With Parity in college, kids know they can go ball anywhere and still be on TV and get seen. Nothing wrong with that, its just kinda stupid when you have to sit out a year anyways, smh...

Great post man. Love those unheralded 'Canes, the dudes in the trenches, or the ones that make the most of their oppurtunity. The Stephen McGuire, Jarret Payton, Larry Jones types.......

If we were winning like we were back then, I bet Vernon would have toughed it out. Kids are willing to ride the pine if the team is going to BCS bowl games every year.

Advertisement
I agree but those guys were playing on national contenders. It is far easier to wait your turn when you are playing for championships.

EVERYONE REMINDS HIM OF SOMEONE EVEN COACHES

ITS UNCANNY

NEVER LETS A CHANCE GO TO DROP A NAME FROM 1989

WE GET IT BUD

Advertisement
EVERYONE REMINDS HIM OF SOMEONE EVEN COACHES

ITS UNCANNY

NEVER LETS A CHANCE GO TO DROP A NAME FROM 1989

WE GET IT BUD

I was going to go with Jean Stiverne, remember him? Was #41, guy from Canada

But he hardly played. I'll work him in one of these post, though, trust me

Just for you

so is it a jungle, or do we not have coal shovelers? im confused.

Advertisement
agreed, but that won't be as prevelant in the culture that we have today that demands immediate gratification.....

It can be if you recruit character kids that come from good homes.

That has nothing to do with it... And its not about character or good homes. It's kids buying into a system... Just because a kid is upset and transfers doesnt mean he lacks character or is from a bad household, he just didnt buy into the system. You need to find kids who accept their roles and perform to nthe best of their abilities. for instance shields fell out the wideout rotation but he accepted his role as a gunner and finally listened to the coaches and played corner. He accepted reality and knew that he wasnt an elite wideout but he had potential at corner. Then there are players who feel slighted when they don't play and blame the coaches like Futch. Futch wasnt a starting or rotational linebacker. If he had accepted his role he could have been a great special teamer. Guys like Geathers, Davenport, Payton Daryl Jones all accepted their roles and excelled in what was asked of them. Thats the different with these players.

I try not to always correlate outside factors such as household and character with football production. I mean T.O. was a beast and worked hard but his attitude was frowned upon by many of us his teammates.

so is it a jungle, or do we not have coal shovelers? im confused.

I think it's both. Survival of the fittest and some real team players that know their role. The weak will be weeded out each and every year. You are bound to miss on some kids from a talent eval stand point, from a mental toughness position and a team first attitude.

114.jpg

Advertisement
Back