Tight end quandry - what do we do? block or run routes?

80s

Sophomore
Dye is a beast when it comes to blocking. If you want to set the edge on stretch or toss plays, you need a tight end that can get that push into the 2nd level and give the RB space. Dye is our only TE that can do that. But he is non-existent in the passing game, not his fault simply is just too big and not really an athlete.

Walford and Cleveland are outstanding receiving tight ends that merely position block and try their best. But if you are counting on them to help spring the running game, forget about it.

So do you teach Dye to run routes and catch or do you toughen up Walford and Cleveland and get them blocking better? My guess based on the camp reports is Brennan Carroll hasn't been able to do either and it will be a mix and match type formation thing that really won't help us.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
You forgot about Perry. He is an interesting guy. He is HUGE and still pretty athletic. As you pointed out, with noone really standing out, there could be a spot for him to step up.

TE by committee

Unless Cleveland can become an all around TE (certainly capable)

I don't see Walford as anything but a receiving TE and everyone else as blockers mostly

/hope I'm wrong

Dye is a beast when it comes to blocking. If you want to set the edge on stretch or toss plays, you need a tight end that can get that push into the 2nd level and give the RB space. Dye is our only TE that can do that. But he is non-existent in the passing game, not his fault simply is just too big and not really an athlete.

Walford and Cleveland are outstanding receiving tight ends that merely position block and try their best. But if you are counting on them to help spring the running game, forget about it.

So do you teach Dye to run routes and catch or do you toughen up Walford and Cleveland and get them blocking better? My guess based on the camp reports is Brennan Carroll hasn't been able to do either and it will be a mix and match type formation thing that really won't help us.

Thoughts?

Why do you say that?

And why can't Cleveland and Walford become good blockers?

I'm completely fine with what we have at TE and is one of the positions that worries me the least.

Advertisement
Cleveland has all the tools to be a great TE. If he and Morris develop as I believe they will, we're in for a treat.

You gotta look at what Golden liked at Temple...different OC, but same philosophy...the FB is a thing of the past...but in college football, TEs can be destructive...look at Stanford. I expect Golden to always have a deep roster of tight ends...blockers, in-line pass catchers, niche "pass catchers" that can be moved around in the backfield, flexed out, etc. Next year, we'll have like 7-8 TEs on the roster. Essentially, I think TEs will get a lot of balls thrown their way, but individually, one might not standout, but they will be vital to the team's success. I would love to see a group standout like the Stanford tight ends where they just were moved and put all over the field.

Dye will be ok as long as SM doesn't give him the fastball.If he throws him a J12 special in the flats I'm sure he could pull that in. We need him on the field because he can run block and our run will set up our pass.

Advertisement
Why does every team we play have a slow, unathletic, fourth rate TE that catches 10 passes for 200 yards against us, yet we haven't had a TE catch a meaningful pass in ten years?

Advertisement
Back