Thoughts

We don't have a top 10 class this year we just have a lot of recruits. Scout has us at 16 on avg star ranking so we have a 16th rated class. You don't win championships by being second in the country in number of 3 star commits. You need game changers and those typically come in the 4 or 5 star fashion.

and ESPN, which is more reliable then Scout, has us with the #6 over all class with 15 4star recruits...

If you don't see that theres more talent in this haul then in almost the previous 4years combined...then, you're not looking

Advertisement
We don't have a top 10 class this year we just have a lot of recruits. Scout has us at 16 on avg star ranking so we have a 16th rated class. You don't win championships by being second in the country in number of 3 star commits. You need game changers and those typically come in the 4 or 5 star fashion.

This is on point. I do see game changers in this class as in Chad, Kaaya, Hester, Yearby, KC, Darling, and if Valentine comes back

and ESPN, which is more reliable then Scout, has us with the #6 over all class with 15 4star recruits...

If you don't see that theres more talent in this haul then in almost the previous 4years combined...then, you're not looking

All you have to do is look at the "bottom" of our class to see just how good it is.

We have always had some elite talent in our classes but there was always a few names, at least, that you just can't understand. Not really the case this year.

Guys like Juwon Young, Jenkins, Owens, Gray, Mayes, Brady, Linder.....I mean those are not class fillers. Those are kids that can ******* play. It's the deepest class I can remember.

Guys, Duke also beat Vtech and almost beat A&M, bottom line they had a good year. They probably will not be able to repeat that again, just as Louisville will now struggle unless they find a way to bring Petrino back. Look at UCF this year, do you think they will pull that off again next year without Storm or their QB?

Advertisement
more food for thought if you ant to take a look at our recruiting struggles..

2010: we didn't get any of the top 20 recruits in Florida
http://247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

2011: we got 1 of the top 30 recruits in Florida (Chickillo)
http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

2012: finally got some top 5 recruits (Duke, Howard, Bush) but missed on several southFl talent
http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

2013: just 2 recruits (Coley. Artie) in the top 35 in Florida
http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

that is way too many misses on top tier recruits in this state!
we'll miss on some recruits, obviously. but if you want to look at our deficiencies, look no further than right here in Florida & all the talent that walked right out of our backyard

this board has a major case of FSU envy right now.

Not envious whatsoever, but when I have people tweeting at me saying "This is all Goldens/D'Onofrio's/Coley's fault" it's a little aggravating when the reality of it is that it starts by being good recruiters and not letting schools like FSU, UF and Alabama take top players from your "Backyard"

Tito, I get your point, but I am confused. Are you saying it is not that they are crappy coaches but rather that they suck at recruiting? Cause it is the same dudes doing both. I admit I can't tell if they getting the craped kicked out of them on the recruiting trail or on the practice field. Then one thing we all can see is that they certainly are having their rears handed to them on the PLAYING FIELD!

Answer me this. If Ed Reed was a freshman recruit in Al's first recruiting class, would he be on the field? He was and is a free lancing gambler who ocasionally got burned but usually won the game for us and is a NFL HOF type and maybe greatest ever safety. I don't think we would have ever heard on Ed. Remeber, Tracy is, I think, the highest rated recruit Al has had, and I remember him being accused of free lancing his first year and losing his black shirt.

You need the *s and the coaches need to know how to use them. But your point is well taken. Nobody needs to coach up Duke or Stacy. The question is are guys like Tracy and others being coached DOWN?

I think the coaching is questionable to a certain extent. I think anyone here can admit that Tracy Howard was significantly better than he was last year regardless of the fact that he was a freshman. Most of those guys have progressed to some degree like Duke, Howard, McCord and others. But with guys like Highsmith, Rodgers, Robinson, Pierre, Henderson, and others I've seen little to no improvement. And all those guys are players who have been here for 3 years under Golden. I just feel that recruiting is more important than people take it for, sure you have those teams that don't have to recruit very well to be successful, but with where Miami is located; it should be a must.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. are you saying that the freshman improved due to coaching but the upper classman didn't b/c they don't have enough talent? who wants coaches who can only develop elite talent? i'd say is far more indicative of what the coaches do with players they have been coaching for 3 years rather than freshman who usually see their biggest jump between 1st and 2nd year regardless of coaching.

Until we start stacking dline class after dline class we will always be behind the 8 ball. I think our scheme sucks. I also think a four man pass rush is a four man pass rush. Our four man rush is horrible. Totally inept in every way

That comes down to players.

U need kids like valentine. South Florida has a ton of stud dlinemen every year. There is no excuse for our dline to be this bad. That's not coaching. We just don't have anyone good at that position. Hopefully the 2013 and 2014 classes give us some players

Until we start stacking dline class after dline class we will always be behind the 8 ball. I think our scheme sucks. I also think a four man pass rush is a four man pass rush. Our four man rush is horrible. Totally inept in every way

That comes down to players.

U need kids like valentine. South Florida has a ton of stud dlinemen every year. There is no excuse for our dline to be this bad. That's not coaching. We just don't have anyone good at that position. Hopefully the 2013 and 2014 classes give us some players

Nothing new, but agreed. Another unfortunate part about whiffing is these DT's don't usually just walk in and play quality minutes. They need a couple of years.

Advertisement

http://247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

2012: finally got some top 5 recruits (Duke, Howard, Bush) but missed on several southFl talent

we'll miss on some recruits, obviously. but if you want to look at our deficiencies, look no further than right here in Florida & all the talent that walked right out of our backyard

jeezus, 2010-2011 is depressing.

Definitely trending upward.

Not envious whatsoever, but when I have people tweeting at me saying "This is all Goldens/D'Onofrio's/Coley's fault" it's a little aggravating when the reality of it is that it starts by being good recruiters and not letting schools like FSU, UF and Alabama take top players from your "Backyard"

Tito, I get your point, but I am confused. Are you saying it is not that they are crappy coaches but rather that they suck at recruiting? Cause it is the same dudes doing both. I admit I can't tell if they getting the craped kicked out of them on the recruiting trail or on the practice field. Then one thing we all can see is that they certainly are having their rears handed to them on the PLAYING FIELD!

Answer me this. If Ed Reed was a freshman recruit in Al's first recruiting class, would he be on the field? He was and is a free lancing gambler who ocasionally got burned but usually won the game for us and is a NFL HOF type and maybe greatest ever safety. I don't think we would have ever heard on Ed. Remeber, Tracy is, I think, the highest rated recruit Al has had, and I remember him being accused of free lancing his first year and losing his black shirt.

You need the *s and the coaches need to know how to use them. But your point is well taken. Nobody needs to coach up Duke or Stacy. The question is are guys like Tracy and others being coached DOWN?

I think the coaching is questionable to a certain extent. I think anyone here can admit that Tracy Howard was significantly better than he was last year regardless of the fact that he was a freshman. Most of those guys have progressed to some degree like Duke, Howard, McCord and others. But with guys like Highsmith, Rodgers, Robinson, Pierre, Henderson, and others I've seen little to no improvement. And all those guys are players who have been here for 3 years under Golden. I just feel that recruiting is more important than people take it for, sure you have those teams that don't have to recruit very well to be successful, but with where Miami is located; it should be a must.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. are you saying that the freshman improved due to coaching but the upper classman didn't b/c they don't have enough talent? who wants coaches who can only develop elite talent? i'd say is far more indicative of what the coaches do with players they have been coaching for 3 years rather than freshman who usually see their biggest jump between 1st and 2nd year regardless of coaching.

He is saying the seniors are already maxed out to the best of their abilities, come on, what team wins with pure freshman and sophomores being their best players. FSU qb is truly a sophomore and their top WRs are both truly Juniors bc KB is a redshirt soph. Some people are missing the point, Miami has recruited a bunch of 3 star depth guys and missed on the 4 star and 5 star studs. Yes we know the ed reeds and the ray lewis were not highly recruited guys, but also back then recruiting wasn't so publicized and marketed as a business as it is today. Today these sites have made players much more marketable within the college system, meaning that many 4 stars truly are 4 stars, and you guys are forgetting that Golden got 9 wins with his juniors, chick was his first makeshift class. Guys DP is our best player on the D and he was a 3 star, and if EJ wouldn't have been booted he might be the best player on the D. How many recruits can you name that have redshirted and still not contributed on anything other than special teams. I know I can think of a bunch of names, O'Donnell, Holliet, Witt, Blue, and many more. Guys Golden's first real class are sophomores, the best players on FSU are Jrs and Srs, given that Winston is great, he isn't their best player. All 3 of the stud rbs are juniors, 1 being a 4 star, the other 2 are 5 stars, even though Karlos Williams is a converted safety he was still a 5 star. Can anyone here honestly name one senior on the Defense that is good, because the best seems to be Shayon Green which had his best year and we stole him from pitt. Or was it Jimmy Gaines that we beat our Buffalo for him? Seriously some people just don't want to realize we just are not very good right now. When your best players on offense, Duke and Coley, are sophomores and freshman, you have a year or 2 to go.

How come Louisville and Duke and FIU and UCF can take 2 and 3 star players that we didn't even want and coach them up to be good players?

But when we get 2 and 3 star players we label them JAGs that no coaching staff would be able to win with.

We aren't well-coached and we aren't developing our players and there is no level of recruiting that can fix that. If we need a roster full of blue-chip recruits to compete with LVille and Duke who hardly get any then something is just wrong. And it's our staff.

Using talent as an excuse is just a convenient scapegoat for poor coaching and player development.

Advertisement
So we got 8 of the top 120 players from 2010 to 2013 in the state

Basically if u were a stud recruit from our home state, you had about a 6% chance of signing with miami. Seems about right

jeezus, 2010-2011 is depressing.

yup, that 2011 alone is crazy!

Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Shazier
Tre Mason
Aaron Lynch
Jernigan
Sammy Watkins
James Wilder
Rashad Green
Kelvin Benjamin
O'Leary
Robenson Thereize
Haha Dixon
Bobby Hart
Karlos Williams
Devonte Freeman..

and we only got Chik and Crawford.

not to mention that losing kids like Freeman are still hurting us in recruiting today..

I have no idea what the answer is, but since fat al has been here what have been the records of duke, fiu and ucf?

You think they're doing better with lowly rated players? Storm Johnson was arguably ucf's best player this year. The one kid who turned out good from 2011 of course

Advertisement

Everything is Golden's fault.

I have no idea what the answer is, but since fat al has been here what have been the records of duke, fiu and ucf?

You think they're doing better with lowly rated players? Storm Johnson was arguably ucf's best player this year. The one kid who turned out good from 2011 of course

in case you didn't notice, they also have an NFL qb! you think that doesn't matter? just close your eyes and think of UM's offense the last 6 years

Our coaches need to coach better AND recruit better. This class and next year's class will make or break Golden. If he doesn't "hit" on the 14 and 15 classes, he's screwed.

How come Louisville and Duke and FIU and UCF can take 2 and 3 star players that we didn't even want and coach them up to be good players?

But when we get 2 and 3 star players we label them JAGs that no coaching staff would be able to win with.

We aren't well-coached and we aren't developing our players and there is no level of recruiting that can fix that. If we need a roster full of blue-chip recruits to compete with LVille and Duke who hardly get any then something is just wrong. And it's our staff.

Using talent as an excuse is just a convenient scapegoat for poor coaching and player development.

FIU really, did they even win a game this year? And actually you make a great point of them being under one coach for a period of time to develop their talent in the same scheme, minus FIU which it is a joke you mention them. On the other hand we do need to do a better job of developing talent, but the programs you mentioned do not have the win now pressure that Miami has, we don't get to have a bunch of 7-5 years and then expect the coaches to keep their jobs, unlike in the programs you mentioned. They hope to win big, but they don't require it or expect it, they just pray they grow as a program, as does their fan base. For us, it is win now or die, and if we don't our fan base wants to implode the program and start over. We need stability to grow, the biggest things these teams have in common is stability minus FIU dropping Cristobal. Now if you want to say Auburn doesn't have stability, that is a flat out lie, bc their HC was just there a little over a year before as their OC, so that wouldn't be correct. He had a hand in recruiting those kids. People forget that UF had a horrible year, and their qb is a 5 star/4 star depending what site you look at. They had the best D in the country until they all got hurt. And FSU has had a million years of disappointment recently until now, so has Vtech. Our fan base is way too critical of our teams, go bash the dolphins where leadership is truly incompetent.

Advertisement
Back