This sucks, but I guess we'll never have on-campus stadium

I honestly don't understand why immature cumsocks like you feel it's ok to come around calling people idiots for discussing a topic that needs to be addressed in the near future. If you don't like the discussion, gtfo and don't read the thread.

1) Here are a few pics of a ton of kids waiting to get on the bus. The frat d bags end up throwing parties on game day and half of them don't even show up. The small amount that do go just go to get drunk in the parking lot you're right. But the majority of the students that actually attend the games take the bus. And we all hated it but it's what we had to do since no one wanted to drive after drinking.

View attachment 42463 View attachment 42464

2) we have 11,000 undergrad students right, I realize not all will show to the game, but since we're not counting grad school students, let's say a total of 10,000 show up at a game. That's 22.5% of a 45k seat stadium, which most of us agree, would be an ideal number of seats if we had our own stadium. Plus, as the years have gone by, the enrollment at UM has been increasing, slowly but increasing.

3) you say we don't need a stadium. Right now we don't, but what if the Dolphins organization refuses to renew the lease once it's over? Do we beg FIU to to let us use their stadium while we figure it out? All we're saying is that we don't want to get caught with our pants down and no plan. I'll continue to support the canes at hard rock but hope when the time comes, the school has a plan.

4) last but not least, tropical park is right next to the highway with exits on bird and Miller, plus the turnpike is only a few miles away. They seem to be able to handle traffic just fine for crappy Santas enchanted Forrest.

A stadium of our own one day will be a dream come true. No more playing in a rented facility where the owners honor our rival's championships.

This topic doesn't need to be addressed. There are simply not enough people in and near campus to build a stadium. It makes no sense.

It doesn't make sense to have a plan in case Stephen Ross decides he doesn't want us playing in his stadium anymore?

Not really. That lease runs forever. But If the stadium were to collapse tomorrow, and they needed a new home, coral gables would be the last place to look. There are more season ticket for holders around north broward/PBC than CG. The logical place to play would be as close to south Florida's population center as possible.

Keep in mind too that Ross makes money on the um lease. Makes. O sense for him to not renew.

Didn't realize 15 years was forever.
No the logical place to play is as close to campus as possible...you know like literally every other college team in the nation. Miami and UCLA are the only big schools that play 17 miles away from campus. And thats twice the distance of the next big school - USF

Once again, WHERE DO YOU PROPOSE WE PLACE THIS STADIUM? WHERE? Unless the school is able to buy out swaths of South Miami, there isn't anywhere near campus that is feasible, and Tropical Park is a nightmare waiting to happen, due to the location and the lack of egress options. The City of Coral Gables would never allow the school to build anywhere in the city limits, they won't even sign off on the school finishing the Watsco Center(Ever notice that there are places for seats in the corners, but there aren't any?).

Advertisement
This topic doesn't need to be addressed. There are simply not enough people in and near campus to build a stadium. It makes no sense.

It doesn't make sense to have a plan in case Stephen Ross decides he doesn't want us playing in his stadium anymore?

Not really. That lease runs forever. But If the stadium were to collapse tomorrow, and they needed a new home, coral gables would be the last place to look. There are more season ticket for holders around north broward/PBC than CG. The logical place to play would be as close to south Florida's population center as possible.

Keep in mind too that Ross makes money on the um lease. Makes. O sense for him to not renew.

No the logical place to play is as close to campus as possible...you know like literally every other college team in the nation. Miami and UCLA are the only big schools that play 17 miles away from campus. And thats twice the distance of the next big school - USF

Once again, WHERE DO YOU PROPOSE WE PLACE THIS STADIUM? WHERE? Unless the school is able to buy out swaths of South Miami, there isn't anywhere near campus that is feasible, and Tropical Park is a nightmare waiting to happen, due to the location and the lack of egress options. The City of Coral Gables would never allow the school to build anywhere in the city limits, they won't even sign off on the school finishing the Watsco Center(Ever notice that there are places for seats in the corners, but there aren't any?).

Stop acting like Tropical park isn't possible dude. You're being very ridiculous.
Can't believe there are actually people like you who genuinely don't want this school to have their own home. You probably were happy the OB was tore down. You act like you're bringing something revolutionary to this board with your negativity regarding a stadium.
And why do you keep saying the number of undergrads? Why not say the total enrolled which is 17k. Its not like grad students can't attend. And not sure where you got the $65 number for parking passes, when I'm fairly sure its over a hundred...plus about $50 in gas over a season....plus it basically means you cant drink.

Last thing I'm going to say is this is a college football program, not an NFL team. The most important thing is the school and its students. So if I had to choose between making the students happy, or any other random fan happy, its not even a discussion, I'd choose the students. If the people attending the school that are paying the tuition which funds the program aren't getting a rewarding experience, I think something is wrong and needs to be fixed. A campus stadium would be a dream come true (obviously not for you), but sadly it wont happen. Doesn't mean its impossible we get our own stadium someday. And If we began fundraising, theres no question in my mind we couldn't raise $300M to build one.

We don't need a on campus.. guys.. lets be honest.. the stadium could be in Homestead if that meant having a packed house with a SEC like college atmosphere for EVERY game... If the stadium was in homestead or somewhere else far from campus and the people in that area packed the stadium like Clemson or Florida.. NO ONE would care about UM not having a close stadium because the stadium would be packed... Like I said before.. we just need a stadium placed in the heart of where canes fans that are willing to packed the stadium every Saturday has an short and easy route to..

I don't see how Marlin Park is a bad idea.. or is it because you just don't like how a football field looks in a baseball stadium..? that is a petty reason.. There are to much pros then there are cons to moving to Marlins park..

Pros: (1) Old Orange Bowl site - may give us back some of our magic/luster we lost when we moved out, (2) 36k seater (We would obviously add bleacher to the open area of the field like I pointed out earlier putting the capacity to about 40k which would be PERFECT for us.. We would be able create more of a college football like atmosphere even at a baseball stadium.. (3) Shorter ride for Players, Coaches, Students, and Fans. (4) State of the art stadium.. We would be leaving a state of the art stadium for another state of the art stadium thats x10 closer for everyone involved..

Cons: (1) Its a baseball stadium thats hosting football games.. but like I stated before.. recruits may be able to overlook that were playing at a baseball stadium if that stadium is ROCKING. period. (2) Baseball season overlapping.. We would have a couple games with the baseball dirt on the field (not like we haven't gone through that before).. but we could easily ask the ACC to give us a bunch of away games in the month of September so that we have to deal with it only once or twice a season... and we could just do our spring games at Lockhart or HRS.. Regardless.. at one point.. The Dolphins, Canes, and Marlins all used the stadium at the same time.. so I don't see it being a big deal honestly..

Moving into Marlin Park would be best for our School, Coaches, Fans, Recruitment, and Students.. This isn't an NFL team where it would be an embarrassment to play at a baseball stadium (Though Oakland has been fine).. It a Private school that doesn't have much financial support coming up with a solution for a glaring issue...

Last edited:

Stop acting like Tropical park isn't possible dude. You're being very ridiculous.
Can't believe there are actually people like you who genuinely don't want this school to have their own home. You probably were happy the OB was tore down. You act like you're bringing something revolutionary to this board with your negativity regarding a stadium.
And why do you keep saying the number of undergrads? Why not say the total enrolled which is 17k. Its not like grad students can't attend. And not sure where you got the $65 number for parking passes, when I'm fairly sure its over a hundred...plus about $50 in gas over a season....plus it basically means you cant drink.

Last thing I'm going to say is this is a college football program, not an NFL team. The most important thing is the school and its students. So if I had to choose between making the students happy, or any other random fan happy, its not even a discussion, I'd choose the students. If the people attending the school that are paying the tuition which funds the program aren't getting a rewarding experience, I think something is wrong and needs to be fixed. A campus stadium would be a dream come true (obviously not for you), but sadly it wont happen. Doesn't mean its impossible we get our own stadium someday. And If we began fundraising, theres no question in my mind we couldn't raise $300M to build one.

Wouldn't need 300M to build a stadium. UCF and Rutgers Stadium costed under $70M. Either of those stadium would be great.. Both are about 44k, Loud, and great atmospheres. They call UCF stadium the "bounce house".

Advertisement

Wouldn't need 300M to build a stadium. UCF and Rutgers Stadium costed under $70M. Either of those stadium would be great.. Both are about 44k, Loud, and great atmospheres. They call UCF stadium the "bounce house".

Well Baylors was like $260M and we'd have to purchase the land or reach an agreement with city. So It would definitely cost over $100M. I'd want something better than UCF has. My 300 was more of a max estimate.

Last edited:
lol calinative fake um student,

are you comparing orlando and wherever the **** baylor is to coral gables in terms of real estate? $300M will be lucky to just buy the land near the campus.

Well Baylors was like $260M and we'd have to purchase the land. So It would definitely cost over $100M. I'd want something better than UCF has. My 300 was more of a max estimate.

The UM student body is not an important enough group, as far as the football team is concerned, to placate with decisions important as where to play. It's a small group, with limited financial impact. Unlike many college teams, um needs the wider community. Putting a stadium near campus would be in no way helpful.

And I'm not saying they're shouldn't be contingency plans for 15 years from now.

But why lie about attendance and atmosphere.

I've been to pretty much every home game since the 90's and the attendance and in-stadium atmosphere this past year has never been better. That's a fact.

Try going to games. Because anybody that says the UNC game was a ghost town, obviously wasn't there.

Baldface lying like that makes you a shīt poster.

I've had season tickets for 38 years now and this year was one of the best attendance years I can remember. The venue is what it is. It's a state of the art NFL stadium. Be happy and support your team and stop living in dream land thinking UM will ever get a stadium on campus. If we lose a recruit because he's not happy about the Atmosphere then he was never a Cane in the first place.

This.

This right here.

Advertisement
lol calinative fake um student,

are you comparing orlando and wherever the **** baylor is to coral gables in terms of real estate? $300M will be lucky to just buy the land near the campus.

Don't neccessarily need to buy the land dude. I guess its impossible to own a stadium and not the land its on. There are ways of getting deals like this done. Obviously we'd have to have some type of agreement with the city, but again, this isn't impossible. Plus it would be a place concerts could be held instead of the American Airlines arena, high schools would still be able to play there..etc. So, yes, I think a stadium could be built for under $300M.

Moronic statement.

The student body support could disappear tomorrow and the program could still continue.

If the non-student body support disappeared, the program would also disappear. End of story. You're an idiot if you don't realize that.

I say this as an alum, as one that took the buses to the games, as one that lived on campus. You're delusional. The Miami hurricanes do not survive without non-student support.

And lol on tuition finding any significant part of the program. You're clueless. The little percentage of tuition that is used to fund athletics is only a small part of the picture. Without outside support the program doesn't exist. Get a clue.

Last edited:
Anybody that uses the UCF stadium as an example loses all credibility. That is a POS glorified high school stadium. I know I've been to a canes game there several years ago. It sucks. Also, to build that specific stadium on any parcel of land you choose in South Florida, even assuming the land was free, would be around $300 million. You clowns don't get it. This is South Florida. Everything is more expensive. Even with land donated we're talking $300 million for a bare bones stadium in South Florida. Unless you're good with playing in an FIU type stadium. Get a clue morons.

Moronic statement.

The student body support could disappear tomorrow and the program could still continue.

If the non-student body support disappeared, the program would also disappear. End of story. You're an idiot if you don't realize that.

I say this as an alum, as one that took the buses to the games, as one that lived on campus. You're delusional. The Miami hurricanes do not survive without non-student support.

And lol on tuition finding any significant part of the program. You're clueless. The little percentage of tuition that is used to fund athletics is only a small part of the picture. Without outside support the program doesn't exist. Get a clue.

We just have a difference of opinion then. Because I think the school should be focused on making it as desirable for students as possible. This isn't a **** NFL team. And by tuition funds the program I'm referring to the overall University of Miami. Without the school, there is no athletics program. Its that simple. The former students are also the ones that end up donating to the school. The Student body is the most important thing for a school. Theres a reason we are getting new dorms. Theres a reason they built the student center, and are investing in new buildings for the music department and STEM. Its because the school has to attract people to want to come here and spend their tuition here. If you don't think football is apart of the attraction to attend the University of Miami, you're wrong. Whats more attractive than having our own stadium that we call home? Cause I can guarantee you as a student having to take a 45 minute bus ride to play in a stadium that sure doesn't feel like home has a lot of room for improvement. The makeover it just underwent is nice and helps alot and was neccessary. But I'd rather play in a basic stadium thats our own than 17miles away.

And I wasn't the one that compared it to UCF. I compared it to Baylor.

Last edited:
Advertisement

It's not about having a home, it's about doing what is right for the program. We're talking about a program that has such a shallow donor pool that the mere building of an IPF is a major project, yet people like you, who live in la-la land want them to raise 300 MILLION DOLLARS for something that isn't truly needed. This isn't a school like Baylor, where the land values around campus are in the toilet, this isn't Pitt, where you had an on-campus stadium, but tore it down. Miami has never, EVER played on campus, there was a window to build a facility back when Howard was here, but that window closed decades ago. We can sit here and engage in mental *********ion about building a facility on an island, or at Tropical Park, but odds are, it's just that, fantasy. The Dolphins and UMiami have a working relationship, and it doesn't make sense for the Dolphins to ***** that up.

By the way, most grad students tend to be loyal to THEIR UNDERGRADUATE INSTITUTIONS. Take it from someone that attended law school at UMiami, the kids that didn't attend The U for undergrad weren't all that excited about Miami athletics, especially the ones that attended other ACC schools. That's why most people when they discuss collegiate athletics, spend most of their time TALKING ABOUT UNDERGRAD STUDENTS. That's the key demographic when it comes to the student body.

Last edited:

It's not about having a home, it's about doing what is right for the program. We're talking about a program that has such a shallow donor pool that the mere building of an IPF is a major project, yet people like you, who live in la-la land want them to raise 300 MILLION DOLLARS for something that isn't truly needed. This isn't a school like Baylor, where the land values around campus are in the toilet, this isn't Pitt, where you had an on-campus stadium, but tore it down. Miami has never, EVER played on campus, there was a window to build a facility back when Howard was here, but that window closed decades ago. We can sit here and engage in mental *********ion about building a facility on an island, or at Tropical Park, but odds are, it's just that, fantasy. The Dolphins and UMiami have a working relationship, and it doesn't make sense for the Dolphins to ***** that up.

By the way, most grad students tend to be loyal to THEIR UNDERGRADUATE INSTITUTIONS. Take it from someone that attended law school at UMiami, the kids that didn't attend The U for undergrad weren't all that excited about Miami athletics, especially the ones that attended other ACC schools. That's why most people when they discuss collegiate athletics, spend most of their time TALKING ABOUT UNDERGRAD STUDENTS. That's the key demographic when it comes to the student body.

I understand most grad students are loyal to their undergrad schools. Doesn't mean they wont attend the football games.
I still don't get why you are talking about an on campus stadium that nobody but the OP thought was a possibility. Also who cares about donating for an IPF compared to a Stadium? Its really not even close imo its like fund raising for the bridge across the highway to fundraising for the Student center. One is clearly going to get more support than the other. Anyways we're only like $5-10M short of the IPF.

and you can go on talking about how the dolphins will never end the partnership with miami, but acting like its not possible that in 15 yrs when the lease is up, its out of question we could have raised enough money or Ross changes his mind on things. 2 yrs ago Trump was a ridiculed and laughed at talking about how he was going to run for president. And today he's still a disgrace and a laughingstock, but he's our **** president. If Trumps *** can be president, we can get our own stadium and Nothing yall say is going to make me think us having our own stadium wouldn't be a positive for the university.

A Baylor type stadium would well exceed 300 million in south Florida.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to half a billion. South Florida construction costs, byrchizz. Educate your dumb selves

Yet we can't find the two or $3 million left to finish the IPF.

Let that sink in, it'll be a year since we announce the IPF, and we don't have A couple of million left to have it fully funded. But yet we're going to find half a billion for stadium?

FOH with that shīt. I guarantee it's going to be dolphin Stadium for the rest of your natural lived. Take that to the bank and deal with it.

Advertisement
I'll say it one last time for the people who CANT READ. no one except the OP suggested for a stadium in coral gables.

All we're saying is that the Dolphins don't owe us any loyalty. They own the stadium and the land. After the lease they can tell us to kick rocks. Ross probably won't be alive in 15 and you guys won't know who the new Managment/owner will handle the situation.

If you fail to plan you plan to fail. That all we want, for the university to have a plan.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to half a billion. South Florida construction costs, byrchizz. Educate your dumb selves

Let that sink in, it'll be a year since we announce the IPF, and we don't have A couple of million left to have it fully funded. But yet we're going to find half a billion for stadium?

FOH with that shīt. I guarantee it's going to be dolphin Stadium for the rest of your natural lived. Take that to the bank and deal with it.

I'm a construction Managment grad student at FIU. Real estate and urbanism from UM. You don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Materials in south Florida are cheap. We live on top of limestone which is crushed to make concrete. Just stop

none of that matter if fans don't even go to the games.. what the point of having a top of the line stadium if no one goes to it.. we were better off with the dump that was the OB because at least people came out.. they don't even try at HRS.. Every time I read about a new stadium.. people ALWAYS say "what about the people traveling north of the stadium.. what about them?" and I always say.. UM home games is as far north as it has ever been and the attendance is x10 worse.. We the stadium was more south.. we had a respectable attendance even when we were on the decline in '06 and '07 when the OB still exist. Coral Gable will N-E-V-E-R approve an on campus stadium.. so forget that... plus there isn't space..

The only way Miami will ever get a stadium closer to campus is 2 ways..

1) Marlins move.. (completely realistic though every doubtful) Marlins generate no revenue, always among the worst in attendance.. I wouldn't be surprise me if the next owner dips with the Marlin because u can't make money here.. (sad part is they are in a Hispanic area) I'm sure the current owner is losing more money then actually making it.. Anyways we would probably move in to Marlins Park.. renovate the stadium to give it a more football vibe (then again u could just have the baseball and football team share it but w.e).. I'm sure most would be like "eww".. but if the fans show up.. then it won't matter because no matter how big or small or odd a stadium is.. as long as you have an electric atmosphere recruit will come.. trust me

2) Share FIU Stadium (and maybe help them renovate it to accommodate UM) or Buy Tamiami Park from FIU or whoever has the power to agree.. Tamiami park IS on FIU campus so give FIU an offer they can't refuse.. like.. idk a small pie out of Miami games or.. a yearly home and home.. or FIU get a yearly home game against Miami.. idk.. something that would be a HUGE money grab for FIU..

Note.. for either to be possible Miami gotta win.. get the Fans and Booster full support.. so Miami can make money from football to get these things. I don't know if either is actually possible but I'd like to hear opinions

First, people DID NOT always come out to games at the OB. That's complete revisionist history. I can't tell you how many noon kickoffs against Rutgers and Temple and the like were played in an at least half empty Orange Bowl even when we were dominant. People show up to games against big name opponents and much less so against lesser opponents, that's how it is and that's how it'll always be.

The issue with an on campus stadium is SPACE - there is no room on campus! And the administration isn't going to bulldoze a bunch of buildings to put a stadium on campus. Hard Rock stadium is really nice now! Tailgating there is incredible, especially compared to the old OB. The atmosphere is getting there too with the renovations.

Loria is making a TON of money with the Marlins, don't kid yourself. He's just a miserly piece of **** that won't re-invest the money he's making into making the roster better. When the team is better people will come out regularly. It was always packed when Jose Fernandez pitched so it's not impossible to get people to come to Marlins games.

Why would we move our baseball team to Marlins park if we took it over? We have a nice stadium on campus already! Why in the world would we want to move another team off campus?!?

Have you been to FIU's stadium? It is tiny! Kinda reminds me of a glorified high school stadium. It would pretty much have to be demolished and completely rebuilt to be able to have the capacity to support UM football crowds (especially for our bigger games against FSU, etc.)

I'm a construction Managment grad student at FIU. Real estate and urbanism from UM. You don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Materials in south Florida are cheap. We live on top of limestone which is crushed to make concrete. Just stop

When you get out into the real world, you'll find out just how wrong you are. Please don't compare Waco to Miami as far as costs. That's clueless.

While you're at it, look up the estimated cost for the proposed Beckham stadium. It was close to $300 million. And that would've been a piece of **** stadium, seating 25K that nobody would've wanted us to play in.

Please don't embarrass yourself anymore.

Advertisement
Back