The "look" of a basketball game

HLSCane

Recruit
One thing that I never hear discussed is how a basketball game looks on television. Obviously, there is nothing like being at a game in person, but many of us can only follow our Canes on television. So, I am always struck by the differences of how games can look to television fans -- including the court, the camera angles and height, the fans in the background, lighting, etc. -- and often it isn't pretty.

Yesterday's game at GT is a great example. I know that GT has a fondness for yellow, but their court and its four shades of yellow are just dreadful. Combine that with GT's white uniforms, and that team just screamed "BORING"!

Does anyone else notice this? The other "looks" that drive me crazy are (i) the camera mounts that seem to be placed in the rafters (it feels like you are watching an "All 22" football game film), and (ii) the cameras that aren't sufficiently elevated and continually catch the hands and heads of fans in front of them.

Other than the fans opposite the camera at the BUC (who seem to arrive late (I know -- it's Miami) and are typically more placid than the rest of the crowd), I tend to think that Miami does a great job at presenting games at the BUC for the television audience.

Would love to get everyone's thoughts on this.

Advertisement
One thing I did notice yesterday from being at the game, was the crowd was at best, 60/40 Tech, and that there were maybe 50 GT students, not counting the band.

One thing I did notice yesterday from being at the game, was the crowd was at best, 60/40 Tech, and that there were maybe 50 GT students, not counting the band.

That's consistent with how the game sounded to me from home. I don't recall seeing a single shot of the GT students, even as they were making mini-runs during the second half. (Probably would have been a sorry picture.) At times, the crowd was clearly more vocal for UM. Glad that you all represented the U at Atlanta!

The reported crowd was 5,500, but it sounded like about half of that number.

GT also puts the team benches on what is the bottom of the screen for viewers at home. It was just kind of odd to see players running across the bottom of the screen to check in. You'd think one of those engineers running around campus would figure out how to put the team benches on the proper side of the court.

Advertisement
GT also puts the team benches on what is the bottom of the screen for viewers at home. It was just kind of odd to see players running across the bottom of the screen to check in. You'd think one of those engineers running around campus would figure out how to put the team benches on the proper side of the court.

Great point! Yeah, I noticed that too. You miss bench and coach reactions, can't see who is waiting to come into the game, etc.

That's consistent with how the game sounded to me from home. I don't recall seeing a single shot of the GT students, even as they were making mini-runs during the second half. (Probably would have been a sorry picture.) At times, the crowd was clearly more vocal for UM. Glad that you all represented the U at Atlanta!

The reported crowd was 5,500, but it sounded like about half of that number.

I'd say it was about 4-4,500 tops

Advertisement
Back