Tennessee DE Deandre Johnson Transfers to Miami

Advertisement
got a friend close to the program up there who is a former player and he said the kid is “really good, good player”.

he wouldn’t pump sunshine. If the kid wasn’t good he would tell me. Or if there were other issues he would let me know.

he is my plug for anything Vol related and was the one who gave me the heads up about Berrios picking Miami, fuzzy muffin picking the Vols instead of Miami, the WR that also flipped that year, **** he even told me about a locker room fight before the Georgia game a few years back and said hammer a bet on Georgia cause the team was a mess.
Your friend is right , “ he’s good “. Nothing more , nothing less. But anything close to last years scheme he doubles those 4.5 sacks.

Your friend is right , “ he’s good “. Nothing more , nothing less. But anything close to last years scheme he doubles those 4.5 sacks.

agreed. We need someone who can set the edge and get pressure. We saw in the bowl game we aren’t ready at the DE a spot with what we currently have on our roster. Kid will play a lot of snaps for us next year.

Every single player on Tenn's D has underperformed. People complain about our D but we've been much, much better than they have, with about equal talent.

Just the amount of portal interest he had suggests teams see him as a pretty good option
I’d take that Samoan LB that plays for them

Advertisement
Did we recruit him out of HS? I don’t recall any discussion other than what D$ posted. If not, was it because our elite talent evaluators thought he wasn’t good enough at that time? Or because he wasn’t listening due to the stabbing and wanting to get distance from the local scene?

Advertisement
Did we recruit him out of HS? I don’t recall any discussion other than what D$ posted. If not, was it because our elite talent evaluators thought he wasn’t good enough at that time? Or because he wasn’t listening due to the stabbing and wanting to get distance from the local scene?
If i c an remember he was once a commit or i know we offered when he was young. Before the whole stabbing ordeal.

Advertisement
If i c an remember he was once a commit or i know we offered when he was young. Before the whole stabbing ordeal.
Yea I remember us offering early then backing off. Anyway I saw him play some at TN and he's decent. Quality depth guy. But don't expect a Phillips or Roche-type impact.

Tomorrow. Let me sweat out these DFS lineups.
@Go Canes!!

I watched his film against South Carolina. He's not a starter but he played almost all the snaps on money downs and some early downs as well. Tennessee had 2 bigger base end types they preferred on run downs. I can understand why as Johnson doesn't create much knockback in the run game. He has a thick lower half and he's pretty explosive but it doesn't translate to upper body strength in tight quarters.

So Miami would be wise to limit his snaps on early downs against run-heavy teams as well. But he has some good traits and skills as a pass rusher. His snap quickness is solid and his speed sneaks up on guys when he hits full stride in pursuit. His most consistent rush move is a simpe bullrush converting speed to power. He does generate knockback with that move and can clear his hands to swipe at the ball or pursue to the ball. He's extremely agile so he can fake the bullrush and rip outside, or strafe to take away option plays and boot action (like Phillips excelled at). His flaw as a pass rusher is his lack of bend - he's not great at flattening around the corner or creating sharp angles on stunts.

I envision his role as mostly a subpackage rusher who can collapse the pocket from the edge, maintain rush lane integrity, trap QBs and track them in pursuit. His effectiveness will be tied to the rest of the group because he's not dominant 1on1 but can be solid and consistent in a collective. Ideally you want him to be your 3rd or 4th best rusher so at least one of the other ends needs to step up along with the interior guys who should be much improved from 2020.

I can also see him playing on early downs against spread option offenses where his agility is an asset defending constraints on the edge or even dropping into coverage on the infamous zone blitzes. Just don't depend on him to stop teams like Louisville or UNC that run a lot of wide zone or power schemes.

---

Would love to hear what our resident film guru genius @Zbrod95 thinks about my analysis. Am I "god's gift to football" or "retarded" in this instance?

@Go Canes!!

I watched his film against South Carolina. He's not a starter but he played almost all the snaps on money downs and some early downs as well. Tennessee had 2 bigger base end types they preferred on run downs. I can understand why as Johnson doesn't create much knockback in the run game. He has a thick lower half and he's pretty explosive but it doesn't translate to upper body strength in tight quarters.

So Miami would be wise to limit his snaps on early downs against run-heavy teams as well. But he has some good traits and skills as a pass rusher. His snap quickness is solid and his speed sneaks up on guys when he hits full stride in pursuit. His most consistent rush move is a simpe bullrush converting speed to power. He does generate knockback with that move and can clear his hands to swipe at the ball or pursue to the ball. He's extremely agile so he can fake the bullrush and rip outside, or strafe to take away option plays and boot action (like Phillips excelled at). His flaw as a pass rusher is his lack of bend - he's not great at flattening around the corner or creating sharp angles on stunts.

I envision his role as mostly a subpackage rusher who can collapse the pocket from the edge, maintain rush lane integrity, trap QBs and track them in pursuit. His effectiveness will be tied to the rest of the group because he's not dominant 1on1 but can be solid and consistent in a collective. Ideally you want him to be your 3rd or 4th best rusher so at least one of the other ends needs to step up along with the interior guys who should be much improved from 2020.

I can also see him playing on early downs against spread option offenses where his agility is an asset defending constraints on the edge or even dropping into coverage on the infamous zone blitzes. Just don't depend on him to stop teams like Louisville or UNC that run a lot of wide zone or power schemes.

---

Would love to hear what our resident film guru genius @Zbrod95 thinks about my analysis. Am I "god's gift to football" or "retarded" in this instance?

appreciate the insight!

Advertisement
On offense we were long rangy was mixed with smaller quicker wrs. Large running backs in the 6-2 6-3 range and mean nasty o linemen

Like Carter, Hall should've been moved to lb and weight in the 230 range. McCloud and Jennings should've moved to de and played in the 245 250 range. Way more explosive at those positions.

Sorry if this is off topic but speaking of portal kids do we get a counter because Joyner is leaving? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Back