Starting Lineup Projections

LexZapata

Freshman
Canes getting no love from the media, but this team will definitely shock some people, has good depth and can play in multiple sets.

I see a starting 5 of

Newton
Brown
Reed
Murphy
Izundu

I'd just like to get this discussion started and hear from other posters who they would see in the starting 5 or who you're excited to see, who could be a breakout player etc

Go Canes

Advertisement
Izunda is a question mark for me. Hopefully he's gotten stronger and improved his game since last year. I think Huell is going to beat him out. Hopefully Newton has improved his jump shot and leadership as a PG. I'm looking forward to seeing what this team can do as a group because we do not have a single individual that can carry this team on a night to night bases like Angel and Sheldon. I say we're a bubble team to make the tournament. If our bigs struggle, i like the idea of us playing 4 guards with Muhammad, Netwon, Brown and Reed on the floor at the same time, which i think will cause alot problems for teams to match up with us. Now the 2017-18 season we're going to be really good.

Last edited:
I see us as a tournament team without question because we have Coach L as he has shown with marginal recruits what he could do.

I think that will be the starting lineup too OP, although Huell might replace Izundu as the season goes on.

Regardless, I expect a 9 man rotation with Lawrence, Dejan, Muhammad, and Huell/Izundu all playing significant minutes off the bench.

If we stay healthy, this is definitely a tournament team, and one that will be very fun to watch.

Advertisement
I think that will be the starting lineup too OP, although Huell might replace Izundu as the season goes on.

Regardless, I expect a 9 man rotation with Lawrence, Dejan, Muhammad, and Huell/Izundu all playing significant minutes off the bench.

If we stay healthy, this is definitely a tournament team, and one that will be very fun to watch.

Your forgetting Bruce Brown who has been reported the most ready coming out of High School

Your forgetting Bruce Brown who has been reported the most ready coming out of High School

He has him in his starting 5

Itll be Newton, Brown, Reed, Murphy, and Izundu I think

Either Rodney Miller is going to play or we are going to see more small ball than in years past

Newton - Vasilevic
Reed - Brown
Lawrence - Muhammad
Murphy - Huell
Izundu - Miller

I would like us to go small like Coach L's George Mason teams.

Newton
Brown
Reed
Huell
Murphy

Or, if we want to stagger Newton and Brown:

Newton
Reed
Lawrence
Huell
Murphy

Advertisement
How good is muhammad? I would expect him or Lawrence to start at wing with Reed. Brown down the line

I would like us to go small like Coach L's George Mason teams.

Newton
Brown
Reed
Huell
Murphy

Or, if we want to stagger Newton and Brown:

Newton
Reed
Lawrence
Huell
Murphy

That 2nd lineup is playing big. Nowhere near enough ball handling

That 2nd lineup is playing big. Nowhere near enough ball handling

Yeah, you're right. I think it would be very interesting defensively but there is too much pressure on Newton.

I'm just not sold on the Newton/Brown combo or Izundu as a starter. We'll see how it shakes out.

Advertisement
What stood out to me Coach L's first presser after talking about each newcomer.

Huell - His face lit up when talking about Huell's athleticism
Dejan - Can shoot the **** out of the ball
Brown - Leader, baller on both sides of the ball, reminds him a lot of Durand Scott
Muhammad - up 30 pounds from his incoming weight of 158
Huell - Barely said anything about other than working hard

The Australian has supposedly impressing . By far the best shooter.

He's probably the backup 1

What stood out to me Coach L's first presser after talking about each newcomer.

Huell - His face lit up when talking about Huell's athleticism
Dejan - Can shoot the **** out of the ball
Brown - Leader, baller on both sides of the ball, reminds him a lot of Durand Scott
Muhammad - up 30 pounds from his incoming weight of 158
Huell - Barely said anything about other than working hard

We got two Huell's that's good news

Advertisement
It's mid October and I'm ready to turn the page from football to basketball. Last year I was ready in August, so that's improvement I guess.

Reed, Newton and Murphy are the obvious locks. For me, I hope Coach L goes with Brown and Huell as the other starters. They're the most talented guys on the team and with a relatively easy OOC schedule hopefully those guys develop and are ready for ACC play.

Advertisement
Back