Some random thoughts on Week 4 College Football and Miami-USF..

k9cane

Senior
Another great day watching 'ball, week 4 was eventful, some quick thoughts on what I saw and on the #Canes victory over USF..

- Michigan retained their relevance for this season by gutting out a tough victory over the Men of Troy at 'the Big House', 27-24. It was a gut check victory for the Wolverines. But I wonder, can you keep winning meaningful Big10 games with 32 yards passing a game? (BTW, I like Kalel Mullings over Donovan Edwards at tailback for Meeechigan, I just think he's quicker to the hole and more elusive)

As for the Trojans, not a terrible loss (they actually showed some character by getting punched in the mouth early and hanging in there) but I thought Lincoln Riley really didnt let it fly offensively for much of the game. Then on the last drive before the Wolverines, retook the lead, he threw the ball when they were better off just running the ball -- and the clock.

If they tackles Mullings for a 6 yard gain on his big run on the game winning drive, Im not sure the Wolverines march that ball downfield otherwise. But one miss tackles (or three) is the difference between winning and losing in games of this magnitude oftentimes.

- Tennessee was clearly better than Oklahoma. The score (25-15) does not reflect how much they controlled this game. While the Vols have a franchise quarterback in Nico Iamaleava, the Sooners now seemingly have a quarterback controversy moving forward (Jackson Arnold or Michael Hawkins?)

And the reality is that UT's defense is actually better than their high powered offense

- Mizzou keeps winning as a top 10 team. But I'll keep hammering home this point -- HOW you win as a highly ranked team is an indicator of just how good they might be

- Auburn has an issue - Bo Nix, Pat Nix, Dameyune Craig -- much less Cam Newton -- aint walking through that door. Hank Brown is really just more inexperienced than Peyton Thorne (who it looks like they are going back to). This play hampers anything dialed up by Hugh Freeze. They might be better off leaning more on Jarquez Hunter.

- UCLA lost, but I actually saw improvement in their loss to LSU in Death Valley. They actually looked coached for the first time this season. But nowt they move onto Oregon and Penn St. Again, I dont see a lot of wins on the Bruins remaining schedule, but I did see some progress from Deshuan Foster's squad yesterday

- Colorado remains the most interesting reality show in college football. No matter what you think of them, you are most likely tuning in, and their persona creates a certain interest in them -- whether you love or loathe them

As for Dave Aranda, for a guy on a seat that is warming, you can't have a team make this many mistakes to cost you a game that should've been a victory for Baylor. This is a defensive coach whose team made some mind boggling tactical decisions at the end of regulation

- Clemson is getting themselves together. They are putting more trust in Cade Klubnik to throw on early downs vertically, and the Tigers still have elite talent on the defensive side of the ball.

- Finally, Miami. They had had a bit of a scuffle in the first half and were up 22-15 before taking physical control of the game in the second half. This was actually a tricky game given the Golesh tempo, and the UM defense did feel the loss of guys like Ruben Bain and Damari Brown. Sean Atkins gave Daryl Porter some issues out of the slot in the first half

But the mark of an elite team is being able to win handily while not playing a perfect game. Miami did that and put up a Curtis Jackson on the road

Cam Ward is not only the player the Hurricanes wanted, but the one they needed. Whatever he got in terms of his NIL package, he has been more than worth it. He has not only guided the offense in an expert manner, he seems to have galvanized the whole team. And guess what Mario Cristobal is not a ''quarterback killer''. He is showing that he will play to the strengths of this team and can evolve his approach to the game. Right now, Cristobal is doing what Ed Orgeron did in 2019 by allowing Burrow and Brady guide a wide-open, explosive offense at LSU

Generally an elite modern day offense will score around 45 points a game. Thats been right around the average of the #1 offense the past few years. This should be Miami's goal in 2024.

-

Advertisement
Another great day watching 'ball, week 4 was eventful, some quick thoughts on what I saw and on the #Canes victory over USF..

- Michigan retained their relevance for this season by gutting out a tough victory over the Men of Troy at 'the Big House', 27-24. It was a gut check victory for the Wolverines. But I wonder, can you keep winning meaningful Big10 games with 32 yards passing a game? (BTW, I like Kalel Mullings over Donovan Edwards at tailback for Meeechigan, I just think he's quicker to the hole and more elusive)

As for the Trojans, not a terrible loss (they actually showed some character by getting punched in the mouth early and hanging in there) but I thought Lincoln Riley really didnt let it fly offensively for much of the game. Then on the last drive before the Wolverines, retook the lead, he threw the ball when they were better off just running the ball -- and the clock.

If they tackles Mullings for a 6 yard gain on his big run on the game winning drive, Im not sure the Wolverines march that ball downfield otherwise. But one miss tackles (or three) is the difference between winning and losing in games of this magnitude oftentimes.

- Tennessee was clearly better than Oklahoma. The score (25-15) does not reflect how much they controlled this game. While the Vols have a franchise quarterback in Nico Iamaleava, the Sooners now seemingly have a quarterback controversy moving forward (Jackson Arnold or Michael Hawkins?)

And the reality is that UT's defense is actually better than their high powered offense

- Mizzou keeps winning as a top 10 team. But I'll keep hammering home this point -- HOW you win as a highly ranked team is an indicator of just how good they might be

- Auburn has an issue - Bo Nix, Pat Nix, Dameyune Craig -- much less Cam Newton -- aint walking through that door. Hank Brown is really just more inexperienced than Peyton Thorne (who it looks like they are going back to). This play hampers anything dialed up by Hugh Freeze. They might be better off leaning more on Jarquez Hunter.

- UCLA lost, but I actually saw improvement in their loss to LSU in Death Valley. They actually looked coached for the first time this season. But nowt they move onto Oregon and Penn St. Again, I dont see a lot of wins on the Bruins remaining schedule, but I did see some progress from Deshuan Foster's squad yesterday

- Colorado remains the most interesting reality show in college football. No matter what you think of them, you are most likely tuning in, and their persona creates a certain interest in them -- whether you love or loathe them

As for Dave Aranda, for a guy on a seat that is warming, you can't have a team make this many mistakes to cost you a game that should've been a victory for Baylor. This is a defensive coach whose team made some mind boggling tactical decisions at the end of regulation

- Clemson is getting themselves together. They are putting more trust in Cade Klubnik to throw on early downs vertically, and the Tigers still have elite talent on the defensive side of the ball.

- Finally, Miami. They had had a bit of a scuffle in the first half and were up 22-15 before taking physical control of the game in the second half. This was actually a tricky game given the Golesh tempo, and the UM defense did feel the loss of guys like Ruben Bain and Damari Brown. Sean Atkins gave Daryl Porter some issues out of the slot in the first half

But the mark of an elite team is being able to win handily while not playing a perfect game. Miami did that and put up a Curtis Jackson on the road

Cam Ward is not only the player the Hurricanes wanted, but the one they needed. Whatever he got in terms of his NIL package, he has been more than worth it. He has not only guided the offense in an expert manner, he seems to have galvanized the whole team. And guess what Mario Cristobal is not a ''quarterback killer''. He is showing that he will play to the strengths of this team and can evolve his approach to the game. Right now, Cristobal is doing what Ed Orgeron did in 2019 by allowing Burrow and Brady guide a wide-open, explosive offense at LSU

Generally an elite modern day offense will score around 45 points a game. Thats been right around the average of the #1 offense the past few years. This should be Miami's goal in 2024.

-
Great post!

i don't think people are giving are giving usf tempo enough credit ... you can't simulate that and it took us a half to settle in ... won't see that again ... unless we play tennessee, if so, yikes

I honestly don't think we'll play a more difficult style the whole season. I give USF and Golesh a lot of credit, that's a well run operation over there...

Advertisement
Felt up like we was lining up against an old art briles tempo from Baylor or even Oregon with how fast they were going

and Byrum Brown's elusive and toughness was making things tough in the first half

Another thing I loved about this game, last few minutes, I saw Jason Taylor getting in (I think ) Moten and Scott's face. He was heated. I loved seeing that. Miami is now acting like a serious program

I honestly don't think we'll play a more difficult style the whole season. I give USF and Golesh a lot of credit, that's a well run operation over there...
other teams will try, but it won't be the same, they had solid ingredients .... temp + running qb

and Byrum Brown's elusive and toughness was making things tough in the first half

Another thing I loved about this game, last few minutes, I saw Jason Taylor getting in (I think ) Moten and Scott's face. He was heated. I loved seeing that. Miami is now acting like a serious program
How did the ACC let Brown get out of Raleigh?

Advertisement
One thing I haven't seen from this team in decades is a coaching staff truly able to adapt in game. IMO, no one has been better at that than Guidry here at Miami.
They were moving the ball on us pretty easily in the first half, not too mention the tempo. They pitched a shutout in the 2nd half!
I hope this staff sticks together for a few more years minimum.

I watched OSU yesterday. Great team but we would cause them a lot of problems. Marshall was beating them up up front on offense they just made a couple of boneheaded calls on offense. Innis was also bailed out big on a muffed punt. Jeremiah Smith was non existent most of the game but has that game changer ability (duh)

I would be more concerned playing Tennessee at this point than OSU

I think Texas, Tennessee, OSU are the 3 teams that are looking as impressive as us but all 4 teams have weaknesses. This playoff season is going to be incredible to watch

Advertisement
Louisville will give us problems like they did last year with the underneath stuff like USF did.
I agree

We will give up some stuff on defense here and there as we try and get/stay healthy

But same time the best defense can be a great offense

South Florida getting demoralized on offense trading field goals for TDs. Going against us knowing you’re going to need to take chances and air it out is going to force mistakes

Advertisement

The screen pass at the end of the first half drove him crazy. Coach was ****ED. I think the DL got their *** chewed out at the break. Huge fan of this staff.

Go Canes!

The system is too fast for his team as well. They couldnt keep up and started dropping
Exactly, Miami was having trouble with it, but then his own players were, too. He should have picked his spots for that pace...wrong team to try to play that way against all game, IMO. USF coach needs a lesson in geography and climatology.

I watched OSU yesterday. Great team but we would cause them a lot of problems. Marshall was beating them up up front on offense they just made a couple of boneheaded calls on offense. Innis was also bailed out big on a muffed punt. Jeremiah Smith was non existent most of the game but has that game changer ability (duh)

I would be more concerned playing Tennessee at this point than OSU

I think Texas, Tennessee, OSU are the 3 teams that are looking as impressive as us but all 4 teams have weaknesses. This playoff season is going to be incredible to watch

OSU is going to lay an egg at some point. I’m not sold on Will Howard. I can honestly see it being Michigan and that defense. Or Oregon.

Advertisement
Back