Some Good Interviews on WQAM

Andrew

All American
Administrator
A lot of opinions have been coming out surrounding the 5 Miami players that left early for the NFL Draft. Those 5 guys are Lamar Miller, Tommy Streeter, Brandon Washington, Marcus Forsten and Olivier Vernon.

I would first listen to Michael Irvin's interview with Al Golden on 02/22. Next I would listen to Joe Rose's interview with Mike Mayock and last listen to Joe Rose's interview with Drew Rosenhaus. It is my perception that Irvin, Golden, Rose and Mayock all agree with each other. Drew Rosenhaus is the only one that disagrees about these guys and whether or not they should have stayed or at least waiting until they got their draft projection back. One comment Drew made that was interesting was he felt there were 100 2nd round guys in this years draft but of course only 32 selections. That being said I would expect to see 2nd, 3rd and 4th round guys all getting the same paycheck.

Drew Rosenhaus is betting a lot on these guys doing well and if he is wrong I don't think you are going to see Miami guys leave at the pace they typically leave at in the future. Listen and decide for yourself.

http://wqam.com/index.php?page=347

Advertisement
miami will always be a 3 and done type of school. thats just how it is. you get your exceptions, sure... but for the most part if they are good enough they are gone.

miami will always be a 3 and done type of school. thats just how it is. you get your exceptions, sure... but for the most part if they are good enough they are gone.

Yeah Miami also is a first round producing school. Forsten and Washington are likely 6th round guys. Olivier I think can have a productive combine and Streeter is a project.

Yeah Miami also is a first round producing school. Forsten and Washington are likely 6th round guys. Olivier I think can have a productive combine and Streeter is a project.

Aside from Miller and Spence (1st to 3rd) Forston and Washington will be lucky to get drafted. Same with Vernon. If the raiders want a WR they will take streeter, rest assured. JoJo is probably the only other one to get drafted if he has a good combine. He is the sleeper of the class, IMO.

I think out of the 5 underclassman Olivier might surprise some folks but he is the only who besides Miller who's stock rises. I guess we will see.

Advertisement
Vernon will get drafted in the late rounds, and if he works at it, he could end up being a good player; but he is passing up a lot of money by coming out a year early.

Aside from Miller and Spence (1st to 3rd) Forston and Washington will be lucky to get drafted. Same with Vernon. If the raiders want a WR they will take streeter, rest assured. JoJo is probably the only other one to get drafted if he has a good combine. He is the sleeper of the class, IMO.

I think we might be letting our emotions get the best of us; while I agree that Forston, Washington and Vernon all would have been better off staying, there is no way that Washington goes undrafted. ****, CBSsports.com actually has Washington ahead of LM and the 40th best player overall. Not sure I agree with that, but anywhere even remotely close to that is well ahead of not drafted. NFL.com has BW at 92 which puts him in the 3rd round. I think Olivier will get drafted too, but way below where he probably could have been if he had stayed. Forston... I wouldnt be surprised if he goes undrafted, but I think some team will probably take a late round chance on him.

I still think Washington will go in round 2-3. Kid was playing out of position this year and while he was dominant, he wasn't terrible either. He's got versatility that teams love, and seeing Orlando Franklin starting at T from day 1 with the Bronco's may help Washington out in the draft.

Advertisement
I think the problem with Washington is that everyone looks at his last season at tackle even though he won't be one in the NFL. He was average, at best,as a left tackle. But the kid is a guard all the way. Like most guards, he doesn't play well in space. He was a first team All ACC guard in 2010 who probably would've been one of the top guards in the 2011 Draft had he been in it. He will be a late 2nd to 3rd round pick, which is very typical of most quality guards in any draft. I don't think there is a GM out there that is looking at him as anything other than a Guard who could slid out to right tackle if your line gets hit with injuries. That's called value and not many guards can do that. One thing to remember, most teams will not draft a Guard in the first round unless that's their major, major need and there's a can't miss guy. So, he really wasn't going to improve his draft stock that much by coming back. I'd say best case scenario if he stayed is he might have bumped himself up to an early 2nd rounder in 2013. I wish he would've decided to stay, but I understand his decision.
Fortson is a completely different situation. I know he comes from a rough neighborhood and a poor family, so I'm sure that played heavily in his decision to enter the draft. IF that's the reason, I can't fault anyone for trying to make money to support his family. But there's no doubt, football wise, he should have stayed in school. This is a kid with first round ability at a very, very important position that is typically drafted highly. A healthy season, an improved work ethic and some consistency would easily put him in the first round. Kiper and McShay both had him as a first rounder in their preseason draft boards last spring. I hope it works out for him, but it isn't going to be easy.

It could work to Miami's advantage if some of the guys aren't picked till later. (BTW I guarantee Washington, Miller and Spence will be taken in first 3 rounds). If Vernon and Forston are picked in 6th-7th round it gives Golden ammunition to say to underclassmen to wait till you grade out before opting out of college).

I'm not sure where this Washington not getting drafted stuff is coming from. He won't get past the second round. I have seen more than one mock draft where he is listed as going late in the 1st round.

Advertisement
Back