Smart is Smart

Advertisement
Attention to details. Awareness.
Late in the game, OSU faked a punt and got a first down to keep a drive alive.
But wait…1/2 second before the snap Smart saw OSU lined up for a fake, went a little nuts and called timeout Just in time,
No first down. OSU punted for real and Ga. Got the ball back.

The art of game management is no small thing.

That is what the analysts are paid to do. I am sure he has few in the box that pay attention to that stuff.

Hard to be patient as a fan base. Monken is to Smart what Venables was to Dabo. He doesn’t have to recruit. Smart feeds him the talent and lets him run that side of the ball.

Advertisement
Has he commented on how that went down? Was someone screaming in his ear from above or did he recognize it?

You simply cannot give this guy **** as a coach though. Only one current coach has gone back to back. You can credit a lot to all of those around him, but he's the CEO, the Maestro, and has orchestrated a vision to near perfection as to what that program has become.

That's not ****riding or any other thing someone wants to attribute to the above statements. I'm envious of it. I'd like to see this dormant program reach that level of success again. Got a problem with it, don't care.

Miami fans are the kings of giving no credit where credits due. The man is about to win back to back national titles. Shut up.
Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC
... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Miami fans are the kings of giving no credit where credits due. The man is about to win back to back national titles. Shut up.
Certain Miami fans jock every and any coach not associated with Miami. It's almost like most of our fans actively hate their own program and want an excuse to cheer for anyone else. No one is saying that Smart isn't a **** good coach, we are saying that giving him credit for merely having the sound on in his headset doesn't make sense. Smart isn't an X's and O's guy, he isn't really a great game manager when you look at it, he's a great recruiter and organization guy.

Kirby Smart will likely win back to back titles, but let's be honest here: He's very similar to Dabo Swinney, in other words a guy that benefits from the flaws in the college football landscape, where richest programs win more often than not Joe Torre was a solid manager, but when he started managing a team with no budget, he magically became great. Compare that to a Joe Maddon or Art Howe, who won big with limited payrolls.

Kirby Smart is a solid coach, he wins with organization and bottomless resources. He's what we are hoping Mario Cristobal turns out to be. It's an effective model, if you have a guy with certain traits. Kirby has them, Mario appears to have them.

Certain Miami fans jock every and any coach not associated with Miami. It's almost like most of our fans actively hate their own program and want an excuse to cheer for anyone else. No one is saying that Smart isn't a **** good coach, we are saying that giving him credit for merely having the sound on in his headset doesn't make sense. Smart isn't an X's and O's guy, he isn't really a great game manager when you look at it, he's a great recruiter and organization guy.

Kirby Smart will likely win back to back titles, but let's be honest here: He's very similar to Dabo Swinney, in other words a guy that benefits from the flaws in the college football landscape, where richest programs win more often than not Joe Torre was a solid manager, but when he started managing a team with no budget, he magically became great. Compare that to a Joe Maddon or Art Howe, who won big with limited payrolls.

Kirby Smart is a solid coach, he wins with organization and bottomless resources. He's what we are hoping Mario Cristobal turns out to be. It's an effective model, if you have a guy with certain traits. Kirby has them, Mario appears to have them.
Back to back national titles. Period. Quit wasting your breath you sound silly.

Advertisement
Obviously there can be a difference between football intelligence and actual intelligence (although I think football acumen is at minimum an underrated sign of general aptitude) but what college coach would you guys deem as the actual "smartest"?

I used to always think David Shaw was a candidate and Mike Leach (RIP) was probably in the conversation.
Leach in the modem era

Back to back national titles. Period. Quit wasting your breath you sound silly.
^This.

Kirby Smart has that machine humming.

My only gripe with him is that he started blaming Stetson Bennett for the way the game went last night in his postgame interview. Yeah, blame the dude who just led a Joe Montana-esque game-winning drive. Good one. Aren’t you a defensive coach with the best D in the country? What about your defense giving up 41 points? Naw, let’s blame the reigning national champ and Heisman finalist QB. I mean, he was just a walk-on, so it’s okay.

Leach in the modem era
Leach, Shaw and probably Lincoln Riley. Those off the top of my mind. If you were to go all time, a guy like Jimmy Johnson would be there, because he was ahead of the curve in regards to analytics and leveraging math.

Smart is a POS using the Bammer formula, stacking 4-5 star talent on the three deep.

He’s never been thought of as a “smart” football coach. The examples you referenced are things any coach would’ve done. There is nothing particularly innovative, or intelligent that he does that differentiates him from any other coach. He just recruits a shlt ton of talent.

The site is just full of people that want to blow the coach du jour.
He aint that smart.

Dude defense basically blew the game.........because his scary *** kept playing man cover 2 with no spy an allowing CJ Stroud to casually run for some easy first downs. CJ STROUD **** near had a perfect game against them...the vaunjted big10 defenses did a better job against osu lol

Advertisement
Attention to details. Awareness.
Late in the game, OSU faked a punt and got a first down to keep a drive alive.
But wait…1/2 second before the snap Smart saw OSU lined up for a fake, went a little nuts and called timeout Just in time,
No first down. OSU punted for real and Ga. Got the ball back.

The art of game management is no small thing.
Guys on TV said he got the call from the booth.
Their opinion? IDK
You can see Kirb with a little hesitation as he approached the ref.

As a side note, OSU had 12 guys on the field.

Leach, Shaw and probably Lincoln Riley. Those off the top of my mind. If you were to go all time, a guy like Jimmy Johnson would be there, because he was ahead of the curve in regards to analytics and leveraging math.
Heisman if we go even further back. He’s the reason there is forward passing

Heisman if we go even further back. He’s the reason there is forward passing
Heisman didn't invent the forward pass, or make it a huge part of his strategy first. That was Pop Warner. Heisman expanded on what Pop had done at Carlisle.

Advertisement
Obviously there can be a difference between football intelligence and actual intelligence (although I think football acumen is at minimum an underrated sign of general aptitude) but what college coach would you guys deem as the actual "smartest"?

I used to always think David Shaw was a candidate and Mike Leach (RIP) was probably in the conversation.
I’m trying to come up with an answer but there are so many football coaches who are dumbasses

Advertisement
Back