Serious Question...

Consigliere

All-American
is there anyone on this board that thinks Coach L didn't have instant success at Miami?

I am curious if this thought/belief (Coach L didn't have instant success at Miami) is confined to one stupid **** or is the problem widespread.

Advertisement
I like you circumvented the closed thread on the football board to start the argument here:monkey-serious:

There is more than one dumb **** here, but I'm not sure it relates to this specific question.

Coach L has been goooooood.

It has been a culture change that has been orgasmic. The program is now a national brand that will be in the top 10/20 every season for the upcoming future. Sweet 16 or bust every year...

Exactly why Folden should have been fired earlier

Not once do I remember Coach L complaining or making excuses about the NCAA crap, and we won an ACC Championship

He's the man...we will be a consistent Sweet 16 team with him (if not better)

Advertisement
Depends on what you mean by instant.

He took an NIT team from the year before and went back to the NIT. The record was not better but the conference record was 3 games better.

In his second year we had the best season in Miami basketball history.

Couple of crazy stats. In 5 years at Miami coach L has failed to win 20+ games once. He has had a losing conference record only once. In the 7 years before his arrival we had 6 losing ACC seasons out of 7 and the outlier was 8-8.

I like jäger and think he is one of the better posters on most things but any argument against coach L being the best men's coach of any Miami sport right now and the best men's basketball coach we've ever had is stupid. What he is doing is amazing and he is building a program that will last. (Unless we hire a basketball Randy Shannon/Al Golden)

I went to Canes basketball games back when there was my family and one guy dancing in the GA section. Students hardly gave a **** and the one shining win was when we beat Duke with Haith as coach. And almost immediately noticed fans and students care when Coach L stepped in. Now we have packed student sections (even though they suck at making noise) and the camp outs happening. Use to be when I didnt think we could stay within 20 of UNC and Duke, now, ****, I expect to beat em almost every time. The man has most definitely made an impact and has since he got here. And now with Top 100 recruits noticing it as well, L will continue to take us to the NCAA Tournament and further into it almost every time.

He took an NIT team from the year before and went back to the NIT. The record was not better but the conference record was 3 games better.

Regardless of whether we got snubbed from the NCAAT, here is what happened:

- He instantly had our best record in the ACC.

- He instantly had a winning record in the ACC (we never did that before).

- He went to Duke and beat them in their house.

- Under the previous regime, we averaged 6 wins per season (in conference) and got us to 9.

- Instantly he created a culture/program down here.

-------------------------

Not for nothing, he did it with class as well.

- Never complained about losing our leading scorer Durand Scott when it mattered most.
- He only got Reggie Johnson (Averaging 10 PPG and 7.2 RPG) for 23 games that season.

Last edited:

Couple of crazy stats. In 5 years at Miami coach L has failed to win 20+ games once. He has had a losing conference record only once. In the 7 years before his arrival we had 6 losing ACC seasons out of 7 and the outlier was 8-8.

I like jäger and think he is one of the better posters on most things but any argument against coach L being the best men's coach of any Miami sport right now and the best men's basketball coach we've ever had is stupid. What he is doing is amazing and he is building a program that will last. (Unless we hire a basketball Randy Shannon/Al Golden)

We already did Frank Haith

Advertisement

We already did Frank Haith

And Perry Clark.

Wouldn't surprise me if Larranaga picks his successor. And I am totally ok with that.

Advertisement
I thought he should've made the tournament in year 1. His faith in Malcolm Grant costed us imo.

Advertisement
Back