RHP Reese Lumpkin commits to Miami

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The Canes continued to add experienced arms to compete for rotation and bullpen spots with the addition of RHP Reese Lumpkin from Winthrop. Sporting an athletic 6’6 frame, Lumpkin sits 90-93 mph and started 13 games with 67 IP and 55 Ks (5.10 ERA). He is a strike-thrower and innings-eater who the staff believes has even more untapped upside.

Lumpkin will compete for a spot in the rotation and joins a quickly growing transfer class with RHP Griffin Hugus, LHP Rob...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Career high of 19 innings pitched before this year and leaped to 60+ and jumped into the starting rotation.

Tells you he flipped a switch and made a jump in development. Likely more to be tapped into for that reason. Late bloomer finally putting it together.

Like the frame and the stuff. Also has solid walk numbers. Hit a lot of batters and threw a lot of wild pitches though.

That difference between his fastball and slider are nice. I like the pitching additions. The Derek Williams kid, I will take anyone from Wichita State. Great baseball school.

The Canes continued to add experienced arms to compete for rotation and bullpen spots with the addition of RHP Reese Lumpkin from Winthrop. Sporting an athletic 6’6 frame, Lumpkin sits 90-93 mph and started 13 games with 67 IP and 55 Ks (5.10 ERA). He is a strike-thrower and innings-eater who the staff believes has even more untapped upside.

Lumpkin will compete for a spot in the rotation and joins a quickly growing transfer class with RHP Griffin Hugus, LHP Rob Evans, RHP Will Smith, RHp Carson Fischer, LF Derek Williams and OF Bobby Marsh.

This is maybe me showing baseball isn't something I pay as much attention to for various reasons. But when is someone considered a strike thrower who has 26 walks in 67 innings? Legit question, no dig. But is that considered even an acceptable ratio now let alone good?

Advertisement
This is maybe me showing baseball isn't something I pay as much attention to for various reasons. But when is someone considered a strike thrower who has 26 walks in 67 innings? Legit question, no dig. But is that considered even an acceptable ratio now let alone good?
I would put him at the top of the threshold for a “strike thrower” at 3.5 walks per 9.

Anything higher than that you probably lose that credential. Not bad at all in today’s.

Hope he does well for us. I’m concerned about all these 5+ ERA guys we’re bringing in, but what do I know.
Definitely some development that’s going to be necessary.. not counting on it or holding my breath… but there’s some intriguing tools and good stuff coming in that have thrown chunks of innings at this level. Couldn’t say the same last year with the number of freshman we had to rely on.

We should really boost our midweek results and have options to start those games and be effective… I see a solid bullpen when you factor in these additions to Walters, Caba, and Robert. Still very concerned about the weekend rotation. Don’t see anyone we’ve added that I would even consider factoring in to that mix but they might have to. Maybe Caba is one of them, maybe Rafe comes back, and maybe Herick takes the next step as a pitcher.

Just glad you won’t see Chestnutt again. Low 80s with mediocre breaking ball. All these guys coming have legitimate 90+ and good breaking balls.

Advertisement
We should really boost our midweek results and have options to start those games and be effective… I see a solid bullpen when you factor in these additions to Walters, Caba, and Robert.
This is the innovative approach, pick the low hanging fruit of beating weaker mid week teams. win more games than we did this year for incremental improvement.

Kid has all the necessary tools to be a weekend guy. But I won’t hold my breathe that JD can develop him. I’ve seen him ***** up way more talented kids

Advertisement
Horrible strikeout to innings ratio for a guy at a lower level moving up to the ACC, fastball is flat as well. Slider is loopy and easy to see out of the hand.

You guys can yell and cry at me but I’ve been scouting baseball for a while now after playing in college. I also used Tread Athletics program and know how they approach these kind of videos. This is an extremely below-average pickup and someone that belongs in a second-tier level of college baseball, not the ACC. Furthermore, I have zero faith in JD to develop him into whatever his ceiling is, which to me could possibly be a 7th/8th inning reliever if he can tunnel his pitches better (or a one time through the lineup guy as a midweek starter)?

I could be horribly wrong (and for god’s sake, I hope so), but this is underwhelming in my book despite the velo he’s “chasing”.

Also when you watch videos like that, there’s a reason he’s not throwing 95 in games. He has very little control over it and swiped around those fastballs a fair bit/left them middle or up in the zone. He’s probably 89-92 in games trying to spot up, touching 93/94 if he rears back.

Last edited:
Definitely some development that’s going to be necessary.. not counting on it or holding my breath… but there’s some intriguing tools and good stuff coming in that have thrown chunks of innings at this level. Couldn’t say the same last year with the number of freshman we had to rely on.

We should really boost our midweek results and have options to start those games and be effective… I see a solid bullpen when you factor in these additions to Walters, Caba, and Robert. Still very concerned about the weekend rotation. Don’t see anyone we’ve added that I would even consider factoring in to that mix but they might have to. Maybe Caba is one of them, maybe Rafe comes back, and maybe Herick takes the next step as a pitcher.
Walters is at the draft combine. While he isn’t his brother I think some scouts see a similar repertoire and may take him late.

IDK but if his 5.1 era doesn’t scare you then that walk to inning ratio should!

Advertisement
Back