Report: Miami not expecting NCAA ruling until after NSD 2013

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
[h=1]Report: Miami not expecting NCAA ruling until after National Signing Day 2013[/h]
By Chip Patterson | College Football Blogger

June 14, 2012 2:39 pm ET

23.jpg
The ongoing NCAA investigation of the football and basketball program has been a cloud hanging over Miami since a Yahoo! Sports report exposed impermissible benefits provided by convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro.

The Hurricanes already self-imposed a postseason ban in 2011, presumably a move to soften the eventual punishment from the NCAA. While most of the involved players have left Coral Gables, Al Golden and the current roster awaits a ruling from Indianapolis. According to a report, Miami may not receive their punishment in the case until after National Signing Day - Feb. 6, 2013.

The Miami Herald, citing a high-level UM official, reported on Sunday that the school "hasn't been given an updated timetable by the NCAA" and would not be surprised if the punishment is held until the 2013 recruiting class has been signed.

In January, the NCAA introduced a penalty matrix that creates clear - and much stiffer - punishments for different types of violations. The Hurricanes have yet to receive their Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, but given the information in Charles Robinson's Yahoo! Sports report many are anticipating numerous violations and severe punishments.

However, the Hurricanes are catching a break with the new punishment matrix going into effect Aug. 1. The standard for the Hurricanes' punishment is expected to be closer to Ohio State and North Carolina. Both schools recently received a one-year bowl ban as a result of NCAA investigations into impermissible benefits.

Even with the likelihood of penalties, coach Al Golden was able to land 33 recruits in the class of 2012, a group that ranked No. 7 according to CBSSports.com's Signing Day rankings. If the school official's prediction is correct, Golden will be forced to pull off the same feat again for the 2013 class.

Advertisement
thanks for posting.

the longer this goes on, the worse i feel about it. we are in major trouble guys. they are going to make an example out of us.

NCAA introduced a penalty matrix that creates clear

Scandals, scholarships and rules changes were among the topics of frequent conversation at last week's NCAA Convention and while not everything president Mark Emmert wanted - the $2,000 cost of attendance stipend for example - was passed by the Legislative Council and Board of Directors, it's safe to say what happened in Indianapolis laid the ground work for significant changes that will impact schools for decades to come.

While details on most proposals from Presidential Working Groups finally emerged in some areas, the one place where there was plenty of talk but little substance was the new enforcement model that some in the organization have been tasked with reforming. After a year that included news about major infractions at Tennessee, Miami, Ohio State, North Carolina and others, it's no surprise that this would be one area of emphasis.

"We were **** mad and not going to take it anymore," Ed Ray, Oregon State president and chair of the Enforcement Working Group, said.

The Enforcement Working Group that came out of August's presidential retreat was tasked with creating a tiered violation structure, new penalty procedures, a reformed process for adjudication and a reformed process that is fair while supporting the collegiate model the organization is looking to uphold.

"In terms of what is our charge, we heard President Emmert talk about this risk-reward analysis and the fact that there seems to be a general loss of integrity and upholding the rules," Vice President for Enforcement Julie Roe Lach said. "This isn't purely a reactive move, we're not just doing this because of the scandals or if there is a crisis. We're doing this because it's the right thing to do. This is a time to redefine what are our principles and what do we stand for."

24.jpg
In addition to following the principles of fairness, accountability and process integrity, flexibility is one of the key things the new model is designed to address as there are currently only two categories of violations: major and secondary. The new model would have four levels (most egregious, serious, secondary, minor) with the Committee on Infractions taking into account various mitigating or aggravating factors that would then help determine penalties. While many believe the enforcement side just makes it up as they go along (and they can because they don't follow past precedent), the model should help move cases along in the system quicker and result in more consistency among penalties given out to schools.

"The working group recognizes the wide-spread perception that the current penalty model leads to inconsistent and insufficient penalties and does not adequately deter other institutions and individuals from engaging in conduct contrary to the rules," the working group's report stated. "The working group believes that the severity of the penalty imposed must correspond with the significance of the rule violation(s)."

If it all seems a bit dense and hard to understand, it is. That's why the NCAA created this proposed penalty matrix that gives you a better visual idea of what future programs will have to get used to if they break rules. For example, if you commit a serious Level I offense and there were no mitigating factors, you can expect a 2-3 year postseason ban.

"We haven't had a lot of pushback on this," Roe Lach said of the new multi-level structure. "If there's anything in the package that is a no-brainer, it seems like this may be it.

"An issue we've heard is we need to be more consistent and allow for more predictability. I think if we are more consistent, it would afford more predictability. The idea is to move toward a penalty guidelines model."

So how does it really work? Well, take the infamous USC case involving Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo among others: violations of NCAA bylaws governing amateurism; failure to report knowledge of violations; unethical conduct; violations of coaching staff limitations; impermissible recruiting contacts by a representative of the institution's athletics interests; impermissible inducements and extra benefits; and lack of institutional control.

According to the new model, this would be classified as multiple Level I violations with four significant aggravating factors. Here's a comparison of penalties with what the Trojans got and what they would have received under the new model:

USCPenaltiesChart.png

So yes, USC would have been punished even worse under the new proposed enforcement model coming from the NCAA. That's interesting because athletic director Pat Haden is on the enforcement working group and has made it a point to say that the Trojans were unfairly punished. In other examples provided by the NCAA, Baylor's basketball program would have seen the number of scholarships available slashed in half following the school's 2005 infractions case. Instead of fewer practice hours for Rich Rodriguez and Michigan in their case, the Wolverines could have lost up to four scholarships per year. Florida State's 2009 case could have seen football scholarship losses of 10-21 per year for three years instead of the six they received.

Given the new model, expect the hammer from Indianapolis to come down harder on cheaters in the future.

Advertisement
Funny how it seems that Oregon seems to be an afterthought in all of this. They had probably the most damning evidence against them. Guess Uncle Phil's money is too important.

I hope some of the optimists around here are right but I have a bad feeling about this. This program has been through so much crap in the last 10 years ....most of which was self inflicted.....that I fear any type of hard line penalties are really going to set us back.

I just want this story to go away already.

Advertisement
sorry guys tried to stay optomistic but i dont see the NCAA taking this long to say your right UM your skate carry on.... but keep that attitude going cause we may need it to get through this GO CANES :stormwarning:

If we skate, it will be only because our offenses came before this new matrix. So I think we will get away lite compared to the new standard. But God help the the next major violators. THey will make an example of them.

If we skate, it will be only because our offenses came before this new matrix. So I think we will get away lite compared to the new standard. But God help the the next major violators. THey will make an example of them.

nope ... they were waiting for Miami to set the example. $EC might stop paying players, recruits and covering up isht thanks to us.

Advertisement
I'm very afraid the NCAA will come down hard on us... Trying to stay positive, but the longer it goes on, the less optimistic I feel about this. Like others, I'm worried they'll try to make an example out of one of the if not the most recognizable brand in college football so that everybody can see they're not clowns (which they obsiously are...). They wouldn't gain nearly as much by coming down hard on UNC who have more or less no visibility compared to Hurricanes football than to come down hard on us, and that's what worries me.

It's been over a year, If they had anything they would've already hammered us. We skate.

Advertisement
You can look at this two ways:

1. They found something and are digging deeper to see if there's more dirt to be found

or

2. Only people cooperating are in the program currently (and really had nothing to do with Shapiro) and the NCAA is scraping to prove anything.

I don't want this to drag out, one way or another. Get it over with, hanging over the program too long and want to see Charles Robinson claims refuted. The longer wait, the more he gets off on the story.

Advertisement
Back