Remember #1 Safety Shaq Thompson

datcaneguy

Senior
@sportsfeedia: #Shaq Thompson, one of the country’s top-rated safeties and a #Washington signee, put his name on a #RedSox contract Friday,

Advertisement
Thompson was drafted in the 18th round by the Red Sox. Instead of choosing one sport or the other, he’ll play both. He’ll remain on scholarship at Washington and in the summers play baseball.

He’ll play in Boston’s Gulf Coast League in Florida until reporting to the Huskies’ fall football camp the first week of August

i didnt know you could be a professional athlete and be in college (athletics) at the same time

This doesn't make sense. Wasn't their a skier that couldn't accept deals because he played college football?

Advertisement
This doesn't make sense. Wasn't their a skier that couldn't accept deals because he played college football?

I think that had more to do with sponsorship. Plenty of guys, like Russell Wilson, play baseball as well. The genius that is the NCAA.

Didn't kenny kelly play minor league baseball while at Miami? I'm pretty sure they can play pro ball in the summer.

/edit found this: http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kelly_kenny00.html

has spent last three summers playing professional baseball in the Tampa Devil Rays organization…a second-round selection of the Devil Rays out of high school…plays outfield for Tampa’s affiliate in the Southern League… signed a National Letter of Intent to attend Miami as part of the Hurricanes 1997 recruiting class…a walk-on who negotiated the cost of his college tuition into his Major League Baseball contract.

Last edited:
Advertisement
that kid was the best safety in last years class.

I aint gonna lie dude showed some Sean Taylor-esque "flashes"...

If healthy ..and good coaching he's 3 years to the nfl in my opinion

You can play other pro sports (baseball over the summer doesn't jeopardize D1 eligibility in football) but you cannot take sponsorship money, ala Bloom, who was training as a world cup bump skier. Bloom needed endorsements and would've worn the clothing, labels, insignia, which the NCAA frowns upon. One of my buddies outta Vail was teammates of Jeremys. Stud.

He tried to make it to the NFL but never made it past the practice squad.

He used to do this cool drill and spin 360s before catching a punt.

Yes kid from Colorado, Bloom I think. IIRC it was the endorsements that was messing him up. He wasnt a professional in either sport and endorsements got him. Unlike Deon Sanders who was a Yankee and a Nole at the same time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back