Recruiting Hierarchy

cowboycane

All-ACC
There was a debate going on about Kirkland vs. Thomas in terms of importance of recruit in the Alex Collins Senior Day thread.

The question that it sparked for me is: if everything is equal, how do you prioritize positions when recruiting for our scheme?

For instance, I think it goes as follows:

QB
Disruptive DT
Pass Rusher (end or tweener)
Blind Side OT
Elite corner
Offensive playmaker (a go to guy like Duke Johnson or Sammy Watkins)
Middle Linebacker
Pulling Guard

You of course want to build from the inside out in general, but those are the five pillars you need on your team, in my opinion.

What says the board?

Advertisement
There was a debate going on about Kirkland vs. Thomas in terms of importance of recruit in the Alex Collins Senior Day thread.

The question that it sparked for me is: if everything is equal, how do you prioritize positions when recruiting for our scheme?

For instance, I think it goes as follows:

QB
Disruptive DT
Pass Rusher (end or tweener)
Blind Side OT
Elite corner
Offensive playmaker (a go to guy like Duke Johnson or Sammy Watkins)
Middle Linebacker
Pulling Guard

You of course want to build from the inside out in general, but those are the five pillars you need on your team, in my opinion.

What says the board?

I think you generally hit it. It's a combination of value, supply/demand and impact. I may place blindside OT ahead of pass rusher only because of the dearth of true LTs. The problem is that it's insanely difficult to project blindside Tackles from HS to College.

I think an elite offensive playmaker should be higher on the list if we're talking CFB. NFL is different, much less value there.

Advertisement
The SEC has prove to us that D-Lines and O-Lines are the key to winning championships (outside of AU when the had superfreak Newton and their D still beat Oregon, not Cam)

They have won with Flynn, Mauck, Tebow, Mcelroy, Mccarron types at QB

DE is the most important spot on the defense. More so than DT.

I think the most important part is pressuring the QB, regardless of position. But if you can do it from the tackle spot, you create constant sack opportunities from the end positions by virtue of tying up the middle three OLinemen...plus it frees up your linebackers.

As we know, great defensive tackles make EVERYONE else's job easier.

Advertisement
The SEC has prove to us that D-Lines and O-Lines are the key to winning championships (outside of AU when the had superfreak Newton and their D still beat Oregon, not Cam)

That's very fair.

I still think you need a QB to keep you from losing. I would rank Ken Dorsey as the most valuable guy on that last championship team, because even though he was surrounded by talent it takes a special player to distribute the ball correctly.

I liked Jacory Harris and defended him, but if you put him on Alabama they don't win the title. Something to be said about that.

That's very fair.

I still think you need a QB to keep you from losing. I would rank Ken Dorsey as the most valuable guy on that last championship team, because even though he was surrounded by talent it takes a special player to distribute the ball correctly.

I liked Jacory Harris and defended him, but if you put him on Alabama they don't win the title. Something to be said about that.

Not so sure about that, Jacorys yaer last year was as good if not better than many of those game managers had in the NC years. SEC wins NCs with their lines. When Bama beat Texas, Texas was #1 team in the nation against the run, Richardson and Ingram gutted them becasue Bamas O-Line man handled Texass front 7. OU came in averagin 40 + a game, Gators D-Line whipped the OU O-Line and held them to a season low and a loss.

Win the line battle, generally = win the game

Last edited:

That's very fair.

Not so sure about that, acorys yaer last year was as good if not better than many of those game managers had in the NC years. SEC wins NCs with their lines. When they beat Texas Texas was #1 team in the nation against the run, Richardson and Ingram gutted them becasue Bamas O-Line man handled Texass front 7.

Good points. I think you may be discounting the contribution those quarterbacks made, but you make a very fair argument.

True, but the difference between a good and a great DE is huge, while the difference between a good and a great DT is not as pronounced. The elite DE is rare, and it's easier to find good tackles. That's why I say DE is more important.

Also, that's where the majority of your pass rush is going to come from.

Here's my whole list:

Quarterback
Defensive Ends
Left Tackle
Right Tackle
Defensive Tackle
Offensive Guard
Cornerback
Linebacker
Wide Receiver
Running Back
Safety
Punter and Kicker
Tight End

DE is the most important spot on the defense. More so than DT.

I think the most important part is pressuring the QB, regardless of position. But if you can do it from the tackle spot, you create constant sack opportunities from the end positions by virtue of tying up the middle three OLinemen...plus it frees up your linebackers.

As we know, great defensive tackles make EVERYONE else's job easier.

Advertisement
I think after the last 5 years of 'Canes football we can all agree that good tackles are VERY hard to find, and the difference between a mediocre defense that takes what is coming and an attacking defense probably can be traced to how disruptive you are inside.

QB - the fastest way to turn a team around
OL & DL - Both are equally important

Play-makers RB/WR/CB/S
DE/LB
TE
K- no love for Kicker (ask fsu)

Advertisement
Average Salaries (Sports Illustrated)

Quarterback | $1,970,982
Defensive End | $1,583,784
Offensive Lineman | $1,267,402
Defensive Tackle | $1,223,925
Cornerback | $1,193,666
Linebacker | $1,175,788
Wide Receiver | $1,054,437
Running Back | $957,360
Safety | $947,887
Punter/Kicker | $868,005
Tight End | $863,414

I get it though. Miami has a history of putting out great DT's, but not so much DE's that I can remember. I guess it's only natural for this fan base to gravitate toward DT's.

Advertisement
Back