Really random basketball question from a writer

brandanespinal

Banned
Banned
I am writing a book right now and I have a moment in the story where the character witnesses a three-pointer buzzer-beater in real life. How impressive do you think this would be? Is it something quite rare even in professional leagues? I've seen some examples in NBA but still wondering how impressive it would be received by an outsider (or even for other players) basketball socks?

Sorry if this kinda question is not allowed, I just needed some long-time basketball fans to help me with this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Advertisement
It happens Brandan. What’s more important is the context of the game - is it an important game like a playoff gam or is it just a regular season game. Good luck on the book

I've seen plenty of buzzer beaters so like @BeachCanes said, the context of the game is very important. I can still name some big ones off the top of my head like Villanova's buzzer beater to win the NCAA championship a few years ago, Virginia's buzzer beater to tie to go to OT after a comeback in the NCAA tournament they ended up winning, and Ray Allen's in the Heat vs Spurs game in the NBA finals.

And then some buzzer beaters can mean more to specific people. Very few know or care about the one in my profile picture (even on this board). Lonnie Walker tied the game with that shot to send our regular season game vs Louisville to OT in 2018. But it was such an exciting year with our best prospect that it meant a lot to me. I'm a huge fan of Lonnie's and the difficulty of that shot is quintessential Lonnie. He hasn't been great in the NBA yet but I still believe in him due to his ability to make difficult, Michael Jordan type shots like this in clutch situations.

I am writing a book right now and I have a moment in the story where the character witnesses a three-pointer buzzer-beater in real life. How impressive do you think this would be? Is it something quite rare even in professional leagues? I've seen some examples in NBA but still wondering how impressive it would be received by an outsider (or even for other players)?

Sorry if this kinda question is not allowed, I just needed some long-time basketball fans to help me with this. Thanks!

Brandon, I am a basketball coach. PM me with any questions you have. Would be happy to assist. (No pun intended)

Advertisement
YO. YA WANT A BUZZER BEATER FOR A BOOK!!!!!

Dang. I just this minute put on the last few minutes of (first time ranked) nrb 1 undefeated Purdue, at Rutgers 4-4.

Rutgers was down by 4 with a minute or so, and went ahead at the 13 seconds mark 67-66.

Purdue got the ball and quickly and efficiently took it down the court for a basket and lead 68-67 with 3 seconds left.

With no time-outs, before a wild Rutgers FULL HOUSE home crowd, Rutgers quickly inbounded and from halfcourt with 0.01 left
threw up a 3pointer that went SWISH.

RUTGERS 70 PURDUE 68 FINAL!

(you can watch it on many youtube chnnels im sure).

WOW (crowd flooding the court... gonna rewind and watch a few more times.)

Sorry Im so excited one of best endings Ive ever seen.
Purdue undefeated first time nbr 1 is at Rutgers 4-4 and leading by 4 with about a minute.
THIS guy Harper is incredible for Rutgers tonight:

1639104590671.png

He just scored at 13 seconds (above) to put Rutgers up 67-66, and be awarded "Hardest Worker" attribute:

1639104682385.png

(BUT THEN)
Purdue brings it down court efficiently and on a pretty play goes up 68-67 with 3 seconds left...

AND THEN:

LOOK AT THIS AT THE BUZZER FROM HALFCOURT SAME HARPER:
1639104840745.png

Hard to see but (look closely) S W I S H !!

1639105289955.png

AND YOUR BOOKABLE BUZZER BEATER IS FINAL:

1639104517173.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back