Question: Is Darrin Smith the best OLB in modern UM history?

k9cane

Senior
and by 'modern' I mean from 1980 on, so that excludes Ted Hendricks

But 'the Flash' is so overlooked, IMO, but in 91 and 92 he was an All-American and he was the complete, consummate player. He was as fast as any OLB in the land, could play in space, turn and run with WR's( remember the Houston game, Miami didn't even need a nickel package those years), could hold the edge in the run game, chased plays and was never out of position and he seemingly never missed a tackle. He had a high football IQ

Before that, he was a special teams demon, I still remember the hit on Prince Wimbley in the 1990 Sugar Bowl

Yeah, Rocky McIntosh, DJ Williams, Scott Nicolas, Randy Shannon, Richard Newbill, Maurice Crum, Chris Campbell were all good, but I think 45 stood above and beyond in his level of play at Coral Gables

I was just thinking about this a few days ago while my mind wandered, Smith( who by the way is a helluva nice guy) is never mentioned among the great Canes of all-time. When I did my top 100 for Canestime years ago, I put him in my top 25-30. He really was that good. He and Darryl Williams to this day don't get enough credit IMO for their stellar play at UM

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Smith is overlooked just because who the other linebackers were (Armstead & Barrow). But like you mentioned, he was just as big a part of that linebacker core as they were. He had a pretty good pro career too winning a couple Super Bowls.

I have to agree with you k9, he may have been somewhat overshadowed on those teams by Barrow and Armstead but from a body of work he should be considered the best IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve watched OLB’ers MAxson, WMoss, MCrum, JArmstead, DMorgan, DJWilliams, and SSpence to list a few. And, in my opinion DSmith was the best OLB’er during that period you referenced. This guy could do it all. We’re talking about a dude who had the physical ability to handle offensive linemen at the point of attack, the athleticism to smother tightends and backs in pass coverage, and the speed to handle number two receivers deep downfield. There are a few memorable moments that immediately come to mind during his junior year. You mentioned the Houston game where UM didn’t use a nickel package. Against fSu, the noles were running an isolation play from splitback formation to the weakside. They were absolutely killing JArmstead. Tommy Tubbs switched Smith to the will position. Smith stoned the lead blocker and stuff ALee a few times in the hole for no or minimal gain. The position he played is rightfully named for a player such as DSmith. Stud Linebacker

Being a younger guy, I remember him more in the pros than UM. But his intelligence always impressed me on and off the field.

Last edited:
Not just the best OLB IMO, but arguably in the top 3 all time of greatest Canes LBs.

Advertisement
While at UM he was universally considered a better LB than Barrow and Armstead. The latter two had much better NFL careers though.

and by 'modern' I mean from 1980 on, so that excludes Ted Hendricks

But 'the Flash' is so overlooked, IMO, but in 91 and 92 he was an All-American and he was the complete, consummate player. He was as fast as any OLB in the land, could play in space, turn and run with WR's( remember the Houston game, Miami didn't even need a nickel package those years), could hold the edge in the run game, chased plays and was never out of position and he seemingly never missed a tackle. He had a high football IQ

Before that, he was a special teams demon, I still remember the hit on Prince Wimbley in the 1990 Sugar Bowl

Yeah, Rocky McIntosh, DJ Williams, Scott Nicolas, Randy Shannon, Richard Newbill, Maurice Crum, Chris Campbell were all good, but I think 45 stood above and beyond in his level of play at Coral Gables

I was just thinking about this a few days ago while my mind wandered, Smith( who by the way is a helluva nice guy) is never mentioned among the great Canes of all-time. When I did my top 100 for Canestime years ago, I put him in my top 25-30. He really was that good. He and Darryl Williams to this day don't get enough credit IMO for their stellar play at UM

Agree completely (and as to D Dub also). I don't even think it's close, actually.

Re Williams, he probably loses some accolades because we've had three (clearly) better safeties so he gets overlooked.

While at UM he was universally considered a better LB than Barrow and Armstead. The latter two had much better NFL careers though.

Disagree twice. Barrow was equally great at UM, imo, and Smith's NfL career wasnt much worse than Barrow's, which you imply. Neither was an all pro, but smith won two titles with dallas, and but for injuries had a pretty comparable career.

Advertisement
Ethnicsands Agree completely (and as to D Dub also). I don't even think it's close said:
Darryl Williams was just graceful and smooth. He just oozed with athleticism. This dude arguably had the best range of any UM safety. Tremendous closing speed against the run and pass, and he could lay the wood with the best of them. Dude beat out two year starter Charles Pharms at FS in ’90. Man for man, that ’91 championship defense was one of the fastest I’ve ever seen.

Disagree twice. Barrow was equally great at UM, imo, and Smith's NfL career wasnt much worse than Barrow's, which you imply. Neither was an all pro, but smith won two titles with dallas, and but for injuries had a pretty comparable career.

yeah i do believe Barrow even got Heisman votes. I can't remember for sure. But Smith had a really good NFL career. Definitely pretty much on par with the other two. And think about that trio. Not many teams can boast having 3 future stud NFL LBs starting all at once. Although have been a couple other trios at UM that were pretty **** studly.

The reason Smith doesn't get mentioned among the all time greats is because too many people let NFL careers influence their judgements. In the last 25 years, I'd rate LBs at UM like this:

1. Dan Morgan
2. Ray Lewis
3. Darrin Smith

Advertisement
D Smith was a baller ,he was one of the main cogs in the Bermuda triangle. He kid run and lay wood. He possibly was our best olb in my opinion!

Dude was in school with me, and yes that team won NC's and the trio of LBs were great in college, and great in the pros. And now one coaches here!

Darrin was badass and not as outspoken as some of our former brethren.

Trying to compare him to others is tough, but that unit was #1.

Advertisement
Back